The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

original "Introduce Yourself" thread
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> original "Introduce Yourself" thread Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest newbie reporting for duty Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
But what he told him was true, from a certain point of view.

Wink

Point of view? Eyes? Wink Wink

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Rogue Leader
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Pit crew! New member here, looking for some camaraderie and play-by-post gaming goodness. I've got experience with WEG D6, the D20 rules, and sandbox style gaming. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and blowing things up!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue Leader wrote:
Hello, Pit crew! New member here, looking for some camaraderie and play-by-post gaming goodness. I've got experience with WEG D6, the D20 rules, and sandbox style gaming. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and blowing things up!

Welcome to the Pit!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bradwardine
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Proper introduction of self upon entry. Reply with quote

A good day to all; I hope that you are all doing well. I have come here to enjoy this intuitive and engaging game with you. I look forward to many profitable posts and replies with my fellow members. Incidentally, I also promise to write my posts as literately as a man who has taken Advanced English Grammar and Composition can.
"Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13b)
"God . . . now commandeth all men everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30b)
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Brad, any questions let us know. Also be sure to check out the Star Wars D6 G+ community.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, should I have posted here first before I made my other first post when I joined a couple weeks ago? There's not much to tell about me: I collected a bunch of the Star Wars d6 and D20 books back when they were in print, but I never got to play in a Star Wars tabletop game. I'd like to do that now, but I don't know of a group here in Washington, DC. And besides, all my free time is eaten up by World of Warcraft.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Proper introduction of self upon entry. Reply with quote

Bradwardine wrote:
A good day to all; I hope that you are all doing well. I have come here to enjoy this intuitive and engaging game with you. I look forward to many profitable posts and replies with my fellow members. Incidentally, I also promise to write my posts as literately as a man who has taken Advanced English Grammar and Composition can.

And a good day to you. It's funny that you mentioned the English course. When I was in junior high and high school, I noticed that while the literature material and compositional requirements advanced, the grammar units of English class in 8th, 9th and 10th grade only repeated what was already taught in 7th grade. Those three years I aced every pre-test and never had to work through the units or take the actual tests. I was amazed that students all around me either never learned or forgot every year for three years in a row. I've read that the average American adult has a 7th grade reading level.

In university I took a "400-level" Advanced English Grammar course and I was delighted to finally learn a few things beyond what I had learned in 7th grade, what I assume is the entire rest of all English grammar there is to be taught. I actually thought the class was a bit fun but it was not very challenging to me.

One day after class, the professor asked to speak with me for a moment. He told me that all of the rest of class were English majors and most of them were planning on teaching. He said he knew all of the other students from prior classes but he had never had me in any class before. He told me that I was the only student in the entire class even getting an A at all, and I had a perfect A at that. "What is your major?" he asked.

"Mathematics," I told him. His jaw just dropped like a slain jabberwocky. True story! After that I did take a couple other classes with him, Chaucer and Advanced Shakespeare, I think. I ended up getting an Associate degree in English along with my B.S. in Mathematics (with a minor in Philosophy and Religion).

But that was over 20 years ago. I've probably used my minor more than my degrees. Nowadays I literally curse spellcheck for not knowing what I mean!

As long as you don't go all grammar Nazi on us, I'm sure you will be a welcome participant here. Glad to make your acquaintance. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bradwardine
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome. My course was numbered EN 360. I think my school taught us grammar better than many, but grammar tapered off in my high school as well. I am curious as to what books your class used, but I suspect that is a question for a PM rather than here; I do not want to derail the introduction thread. In any case, I was pleased to have your always-cultured posts greet my arrival.

(I have been lurking on this forum for several years.)
"Fear God and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13b)
"God . . . now commandeth all men everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30b)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was taking Latin in college, I realized how much I just "did" grammar, without knowing how it worked. German, apparently, had similar enough grammar to English that I could do that without formally learning it, but Latin (and later, Old English) required that I sit down and learn how grammar worked so I could use the languages correctly.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradwardine wrote:
I am curious as to what books your class used

It was 1992-ish. I have no memory of what book was used. All I know is that I no longer have it. I was a poor college student so sold most of my books. I kept all my math books and a handful of others.

MrNexx wrote:
When I was taking Latin in college, I realized how much I just "did" grammar, without knowing how it worked. German, apparently, had similar enough grammar to English that I could do that without formally learning it, but Latin (and later, Old English) required that I sit down and learn how grammar worked so I could use the languages correctly.

I have no direct experience with German, but I was all over the Romance Language side. I studied French and Spanish, and I did take Latin for a couple years. I remember learning some things about grammar in Latin class that I hadn't learned from all my years studying English and French. But yeah we conjugated a lot of verbs.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

MrNexx wrote:

I have no direct experience with German, but I was all over the Romance Language side. I studied French and Spanish, and I did take Latin for a couple years. I remember learning some things about grammar in Latin class that I hadn't learned from all my years studying English and French. But yeah we conjugated a lot of verbs.

German grammar is pretty similar to English grammar, really. IIRC, we tend to switch the dative and accusative cases in sentence construction (we tend to write nominative dative accusative... "I am going to the store with Dave", they write nominative accusative dative "Ich gehe mit Dave nach Geschaeft."), and of course their verbs conjugate a lot more strongly than our do, but it's not too bad.

It's when I got into Latin that I had to really buckle down and learn the the stuff, which came in handy for Old English. Hell, I wound up loaning out my copies of "English Grammar for Students of German" to half the class, since they were all English grad students who didn't know grammar. Wink
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
It's when I got into Latin that I had to really buckle down and learn the the stuff, which came in handy for Old English.

Cool. I don't remember doing anything with Old English. We had to learn Middle English for my Chaucer course, and that was interesting.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
It's when I got into Latin that I had to really buckle down and learn the the stuff, which came in handy for Old English.

Cool. I don't remember doing anything with Old English. We had to learn Middle English for my Chaucer course, and that was interesting.

My Bachelors is History, with a specialty in pestering Medievalists Very Happy Thus, Latin and Old English.
Mi'rar
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, new member here.
I am looking forward to discusions and maybe some pbp action
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the pit
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 58 of 64

Jump to: