The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Perception/Search vs Sensors with Macrobinocs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Perception/Search vs Sensors with Macrobinocs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saberjunkie
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Perception/Search vs Sensors with Macrobinocs Reply with quote

First time poster here...

Macrobinocs have three range increments. Presumably this is for a sensors roll. Does that mean you can make a sensors roll when using macrobinocs to detect/see something?

If yes, how does that interact with the search/Perception roll that you gain a +3D bonus on at ranges beyond 100m?

Is is a sort of Sensors roll for the ranges listed - if sensors is better than Search? Or make the sensors roll to then gain the +3D bonus to Search.

I guess ultimately I'm wondering if, when using Macrobinocs, and you have a better Sensors than Search, you can elect to use your sensors skill in place of search skill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By my reading on them from page 226 of the R&E book, the bonus is applied to search/perception checks.. not to sensors..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Perception/Search vs Sensors with Macrobinocs Reply with quote

Saberjunkie wrote:
First time poster here...

Macrobinocs have three range increments. Presumably this is for a sensors roll. Does that mean you can make a sensors roll when using macrobinocs to detect/see something?

If yes, how does that interact with the search/Perception roll that you gain a +3D bonus on at ranges beyond 100m?

Is is a sort of Sensors roll for the ranges listed - if sensors is better than Search? Or make the sensors roll to then gain the +3D bonus to Search.

I guess ultimately I'm wondering if, when using Macrobinocs, and you have a better Sensors than Search, you can elect to use your sensors skill in place of search skill.

Welcome! Very Happy

According to what I'm seeing in the book (pg 226, as garhkal mentions), there is no sensors roll involved in the use of macrobinoculars. Do you have a source and page reference?
Saberjunkie
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied from REUP (which I realize is not the Revised), it's just easier to copy from Smile

This is from the description in the equipment section... REUP p338.

Range: 100-250/500/1,000
Game Notes: All modes have an Easy sensors difficulty at short range,
increasing one level per range band. Search and other Perception-
based rolls may be increased when using macrobinoculars by
+3D when used to find something more than 100 meters away.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. If that is all the relevant text, I take that to mean the following:

Make a sensors roll against (whatever difficulty). Success allows the user to make a search check with a 3D bonus for quarries at least 100m away.
Saberjunkie
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks, that's what I was thinking, it just seems an odd mechanic.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does come across as rather clunky. I feel that something like binos should just allow a search check to be made (using the characters own skill, no bonus) at distances normally beyond what his naked eye can see. In other words, the "bonus" is being allowed to make the roll at all from a click away, rather than being able to make the check and get a bonus on it. The rules do say that proximity modifiers apply, so the bonus could be seen as cancelling that out, but still, I agree: it's a bit cumbersome.
dic1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the sensors roll represents getting the focus right, using the right lens filter, blocking any glare e.t.c. before you get the bonus.
Bad roll on sensors = you realise the lenses are covered in gunk and can't see anything till you take time to clean them, a 1 on the wild die you have cracked the lens/prism assemble they are now a nice paperweight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: