The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A-Wing's Armament
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> A-Wing's Armament Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: A-Wing's Armament Reply with quote

Some sources show the A-Wing as being equipped with concussion missiles, while WEG material so far as I can tell, has them equipped with laser cannons only.

Considering the A-Wing's mission, what do you guys think makes most sense? Should it have missiles, or just guns?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go.

The missile and auto-fire rules have evolved a little since I posted this, but the basic theory is there.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RZ-1 A-Wing interceptor (canon version)
2 Laser Cannons (fire-linked)
2 Concussion Missile Launchers (fire-linked, 6 missiles each)

RZ-1 A-Wing interceptor (WEG/Legends version)
2 Laser Cannons (fire-linked)
1 Enemy Targeting Jammer
1 Chaff/Flare Countermeasures

Many fans have inferred this to mean there are two version of the A-Wing.

In Legends the A-Wing was slow to produce and first saw deployment in 0 ABY and was scarce even up to the Battle of Endor four years later. Shortly after the Battle of Endor the second generation A-Wing Mark II rolled out. The big difference on the Mark II was the laser cannons were configured for 360-degree rotation, giving a wider field of fire.

In new canon there isn't much information about the A-Wing yet. We know it is fully tested and in production as of 4 BBY as we see it used exclusively by Phoenix Squadron.

In the end, you're going to have to decide what you want to go with: 1. Canon, 2. Legends and make some inferrences, or 3. Hash canon and Legends to fit your SWU.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been one of those seeing the A wing with 2 versions. One with the Concussion missile launcher, one with the jammer..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more I prefer a compromise betwen the either/or position and the has-them-both position.

I'm thinking that the most "interesting" and plot worthy solution would be to give all A-Wings a jammer and a limited capacity missile tube. Either give them one instead of two tubes, or give them a twin-linked deal, but with a grand total of 6 (or maybe just 4) missiles.

The idea would be that they are used for a lighting assault/surgical strike against larger craft, using their speed and their guns to fight their way to the target and then deliver the payload on the way out.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternate possibility would be to limit the A-Wing's fire control jamming to a single arc, rather than all of them at once. The pilot would have to preselect which arc would be the primary threat axis.

I would agree that 12 missiles seems a bit much, but two different non-WEG sources confirm it. The first was Starlog Magazine's Rebel Alliance Technical Manual, which simply said the A-Wing had two 6-round launchers without actually explaining how they did it. The Incredible Cross-Sections book built on that idea by showing the launchers as single-shot tubes lined up side-by-side. Both sources also specifically mentioned that the Alliance-era A-Wing was equipped with both missiles and the FC jammer. I don't have access to my books at the moment but, IIRC, the cross section book specifically labeled the jammer on the A-Wing's interior.

So I didn't just pull it out of my @$$.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see them being deployed in mixed groups, with the launcher version being more common, while the jammer version might be along to help with both dogfighting and defense while the missile-carrying versions perform strikes.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a character I am working on who is a pilot without a ship. Eventually, he/she (haven't decided if character will be male or female yet) comes across an early prototype A wing that had been shot down quite some time ago.

The character spends months restoring it and takes it for a test flight. During the flight, s/he encounters some pre-alliance rebels being attacked by pirates, joins the fight and saves the day, and is asked to join the cause. The story takes place during the purge, as the rebel alliance is still "in utero" so-to-speak.

This incident reinviorates the A-Wing project, as well, but for the time being, there are only a few (less than 10) such craft in the fleet.

So, for these few, I'm thinking that the idea could be that they have some missiles and the jammer, and the laser cannons, with some later models eschewing one or the other in order to save on production costs... and then when the alliance is in full swing, they can have the 12 missiles and the jammer as well.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
There is a character I am working on who is a pilot without a ship. Eventually, he/she (haven't decided if character will be male or female yet) comes across an early prototype A wing that had been shot down quite some time ago.

The character spends months restoring it and takes it for a test flight.

If its only a prototype that's been lingering for a while, where's he getting the repair parts to restore it from?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its a prototype that was shot down or malfunctioned or whatever and crash landed. It was discovered by the "hero" who canibalized other ships from the local ship graveyard/junk yard to make it space-worthy, and in doing so, actually solved one of the design problems, making it a little better than the original designerrs intended.

The hero is a pilot in a similar way that Luke was: not much experience with spacecraft, but plenty with with airspeeders and what have you.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did he just have Starfighter repair, or engineering, which imo is what would have been needed to jury rig in OTHER parts to fix what was missing/damaged beyond repair?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. We'll flesh out the detaiils later.

Did you ever see Flight of the Phoenix?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i did. BUT the one with Quaid in, DID have someone who was an engineer at least.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the plane they ended up with sure wasn't the plane they started with. At best, you're talking about an Ugly with A-Wing parts...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I'm not! Razz

Its akin to swapping a chevy crate motor into a ford. Its all doable with the repair skill in the garage or back yard. But the skill selection process hasn't even begun yet.

The point of the character is to create a story that focuses on the A-Wing's proof of concept. The story is about why the A-Wing made it into service and how it is used to fight the empire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: