The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ryloth not too long after the Clone Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Ryloth not too long after the Clone Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Ryloth not too long after the Clone Wars Reply with quote

Sorry in advance if this is too long to read.

I am using Ryloth 15 years BBY in a game I am running right now. The characters had to find a rogue spice courier by deciphering the memory of his nearly destroyed personal assistant droid. This led them into a wasteland of Clone Wars wreckage to find Patru, a Jawa scavenger with well known droid programming skills. On their way there they were attacked by CIS battle droids that were still following their last orders given, too dumb to know the war was over. The characters destroyed most of the droids and fled. The droids went back to securing the landing area for the dropship that never came. They found the Jawas, and Patru decoded some of the transmissions that the droid held in its memory. Armed with some of the courier's last holo transmissions, they were able to figure out where he is headed, and who he is working with. Now armed with that knowledge they are headed to cut him off before he can get off planet with his stolen cargo. However, it won't be that easy.

This is also the game where I introduced my new generation of players to oddball equipment from my old games. The first one was the blaster musket, a single shot bolt action blaster rifle that uses blast cartridges. It seemed to go well with the junkyard wasteland theme.

I also will be giving them glimpses of my Nemodian exiles who are scheming and plotting in the shadows, financing criminal enterprises, but not revealing their true intentions, not yet.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the premise here. In particular, the left over battle droids and the wasteland theme.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep, I like it a lot!

SW Rebels recently had an episode that went to Ryloth, and that reminded me how hard it was for me to reconcile the original WEG Ryloth (Bib Fortuna's low-tech harsh homeworld of many various clans selling spice and their own people into slavery just to survive) with the prequel revelation that it is not only one of the most important worlds in its sector if not its capital, but also the homeworld of one of the most powerful senators in the galaxy, the leader of the Rim faction. To honor both WEG and the prequels, the most obvious explanation for Ryloth's drastic decline would be that it it was a victim of the ravages of war, from the Clone Wars, its after effects and rebellion against the Empire.

You've got some great ideas here, and I hope to hear more of your adventures.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that while Ryloth had a powerful senator, the Senate itself probably had its power whittled away for the 19 years between becoming the Empire and it being dissolved during Episode IV.

I need to see that episode so I can get a feel for how my Ryloth works vs theirs. I plan on it being a re occurring location in the game, since one character is a Twi'lek, and they have underworld contacts there.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
Remember that while Ryloth had a powerful senator, the Senate itself probably had its power whittled away for the 19 years between becoming the Empire and it being dissolved during Episode IV.

I completely agree. I was merely pointing out the drastic difference between Ryloth being a system of major galactic importance in the Republic and being a low tech harsh wasteland of a planet under the Empire. I wasn't trying to argue WEG should be retconned away because of the prequels. I don't think Ryloth should be a powerful world in the Empire. I like and accept the prequels but The Star Wars Sourcebook has a special place in my heart. The EU never really much addressed Ryloth's transformation between trilogies, but these are great ideas for explaining it. Yes, the Senate had little power under the Empire, and the polical party whose power base was Ryloth (the Rim Faction) ceased to exist as of 19 BBY.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see someone was paying attention in galactic civics class!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, am excited to see how this unfolds! Keep us posted!

Great idea with the wasteland style Ryloth!
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
bobenhotep wrote:

I completely agree. I was merely pointing out the drastic difference between Ryloth being a system of major galactic importance in the Republic and being a low tech harsh wasteland of a planet under the Empire. I wasn't trying to argue WEG should be retconned away because of the prequels. I don't think Ryloth should be a powerful world in the Empire. I like and accept the prequels but The Star Wars Sourcebook has a special place in my heart. The EU never really much addressed Ryloth's transformation between trilogies, but these are great ideas for explaining it. Yes, the Senate had little power under the Empire, and the polical party whose power base was Ryloth (the Rim Faction) ceased to exist as of 19 BBY.

I'm glad we could figure out between all of us a reasonable set of circumstances that would reconcile the "two Ryloths" problem. Absolutely no antagonism intended. I just wanted to add my two cents worth and expand on our already decent explanation for what happened.

One of the NPC characters I didn't get to use, but I will if I run this scenario again is a slightly crazy clone that calls himself Zero. His earliest memory is of the bright blue flash of being hit with an EMP weapon of extreme power. It burned him badly and made him lose his memory. It also destroyed his inhibitor chip. So, he has survived in the wastes, scavenging and helping the Jawas clear wrecks of scary things. I figured after the fact that it would have worked really well for him to find them while they were fighting the droids and helping out at the end, then leading them to the Jawas. I pictured him as having some clone armor, but wearing Jawa robes to protect him from the dry heat. Oh well, I can work him in later.

The characters captured the courier and cargo in a fairly normal fashion, with the exception of the Rodian having to use her jet pack to fly up to the ship as it took off, ramp still down and the canister teetering on the edge. She grabbed it as a crewman tried to pull it in, but I gave her a significant advantage since she was basically hanging off the end of it with all her weight. The fun part was trying to land while holding this thing, and hoping it didn't hit the ground and activate its anti tamper function and cause it to explode. I plan on fleshing out my Ryloth a bit more, since the characters will be there often. They have some underworld ties there, and their hyperdrive sucks bad enough that it will keep them in the neighborhood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: