The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars Conquers the Universe book spotlights WEG SW D6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars Conquers the Universe book spotlights WEG SW D6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluMax
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Conquers the Universe book spotlights WEG SW D6 Reply with quote

I've read my fair share of Lucas bios and books about the development of Star Wars, but West End Games' contribution in helping keep the fire burning in the long dry 83-99 spell practically always goes unmentioned.

Having read through 'Star Wars Conquers the Universe' by Chris Taylor -an interesting history of the entire phenomenon - I was surprised but pleased to see this corrected - here's an excerpt:

"one form of Star Wars game [was licensed]. . . and it was the geekiest version of them all. The Star Wars role-playing game, made by a tiny company in Pennsylvania called West End Games, launched in October 1987. For the next three years, it would be about the only thing going in the Star Wars Universe. . .the role-playing game wasn't just preserving the memory of Star Wars. It was cataloging and enhancing it. To create the sourcebook. .. Bill Slavicsek . . .had to figure out the nuts and bolts of how Lucas's universe worked, and fill in the gaps.
At the time, it seemed about the nerdiest thing you could possibly do. But Slavicsek's work - and the contributors [that followed] - would prove incalculably important to the coming Star Wars revival [chapter ends]."

Interesting? Accurate? I didn't realize it was that nerdy!
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabletop gaming has always been viewed as those D&D players of the late 70s and early 80s. It's rather ironic that group gaming actually created a stereotype of social misfit/loner.
BluMax
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still folks who think rpgs are akin to witchcraft/blood cults. It is amazing how some misconceptions refuse to die.

Although I liked the author's pointing out that WEG had an important role in the franchise, I admit his slightly snooty dismissal of the hobby was jarring. This, in a book that devotes whole chapters to OCD members of the 501st counting each others' belt pouches, and R2 Builders Club members who spend years in their garage and tens of thousands of $ on replica droids.
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluMax wrote:
There are still folks who think rpgs are akin to witchcraft/blood cults. It is amazing how some misconceptions refuse to die.

You get out of it, what you put into it. Much like anything else. There are some people who get a little far into character for my tastes, but that could apply to any number of things... like running. Some people get too far into running...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: