The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help needed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Help needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttrpgs.2015@gmail.com
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Help needed Reply with quote

I need some help from the RPG community. I'm writing a paper on religion and Tabletop Role-Playing Games and I'm trying to collect data on themes players and GMs tend to associate with the various genres of RPGs. If you would be willing to help me out, please click the link below to get to the survey I've created for this purpose.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TTRPGs-2015

If you would like the survey results once they're compiled, I'd be happy to provide those to you; just send an email to ttrpgs.2015@gmail.com and I'll forward you the results once I have them.

Thanks,

--John Dulle
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, John. Thanks for posting this opportunity to be involved in academic research in our hobby. I'll be sending you an e-mail, as I'm hoping to see the final outcome.
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the survey for you, I also commented but I will repost here. I feel that the word association section is too large, I needed to scroll back up to read the options. I also felt that there should have been choices for all of the above and no opinion, I chose other for those responses.

I am very curious to see your future work with this topic though. It has been a long time since I have included roleplaying and religion in the same conversation. I would like to see where this is going.
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm clergy. It's come up now and again in my circles. Sometimes I keep my mouth shut and head low. Other times it's an interesting conversation.
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been years since I have really seen it in the media, and with so many roleplaying genres and games now compared to early 80s unless you specifically say you play Dungeons & Dragons most people don't even bat an eye.

As a matter of fact I work with a lot of older women and when I describe what a roleplaying game is they all think how interesting the concept sounds and why they didn't have games like that when they were younger. I'm sure they are exactly the types to ban thier kids from playing that devil game back in the 80s
ttrpgs.2015@gmail.com
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I'm happy to provide results to the survey and/or my final paper. I've got several months to finish it and I'm just getting started with data collection.

jawa1138, thanks for the comments. I'll take those into account, as I may look to do another survey. If I do, I'll break the themes into smaller groups and add a couple more possible categories. Someone on another site mentioned leaving out religion altogether and see if that changes the number of respondents, since some people might not fill it out if they think it's specifically about religion, which the survey is not but my paper will be.

cheshire, I'm always looking for interesting conversations.
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you may get a more unbiased response if people didn't know that you were tying it into religion due to people trying to influence the outcome. I tried to be honest on the questions but the word association was often times either ambigious or to general to narrow down.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the survey. I'm a spiritual layman with a fascination in mythology and religion for most of the last 35 years, which is also how long I've been playing RPGs. I'd be interested in your paper as well.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ttrpgs.2015@gmail.com
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Results Reply with quote

If you're interested in the results of the survey, they can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2R1iJ6GS-OoM2l4QTZxd1Bod28&usp=sharing
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your results. Let us know if we can ever help again in the future!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Results Reply with quote

ttrpgs.2015@gmail.com wrote:
If you're interested in the results of the survey, they can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2R1iJ6GS-OoM2l4QTZxd1Bod28&usp=sharing

Thanks for sharing!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: