The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Starship Damage Chart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Starship Damage Chart Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So only PC used ships would get this revised damage chart, all else would use the regular one?

Only PC ships (others at GM's discretion) would take Catastrophic Damage; all others would default to Destroyed. Apart from that, all ships would use the revised damage chart.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not revise the kill chart for pcs then too?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Why not revise the kill chart for pcs then too?

Because Whill already did.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think that a major risk in space combat would be a hull breach, where the ship is losing atmosphere, yet the damage rules make no mention of hull breaches, nor their associated hazards. I'd like to add something to that effect, but I can't find anything on the modified damage chart that I can realistically remove. So here's what I'm thinking.

Hull Breaches
Effect:
If the ship takes damage, roll 1D, then compare the result to the following chart:
    Lightly Damaged = Hull Breach on 1
    Heavily Damaged = Hull Breach on 1-3
    Severely Damaged = Hull Breach on 1-5

In the event of a Hull Breach, the ship's atmosphere (normally Type I) immediately becomes Type II (Breath Mask Recommended). After 2D rounds, it becomes Type III (Breath Mask Required). After 4D rounds, it becomes Type IV (Vacuum Suit Required)

Repair:
Repairing a Hull Breach requires a damage control roll using the appropriate Technical skill, with Difficulty equal to the Difficulty of repairing the level of damage inflicted.

I'm writing this down before I go to sleep, so there are probably a few holes in it, but it's good enough to get people talking. Thoughts?

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
So only PC used ships would get this revised damage chart, all else would use the regular one?

Only PC ships (others at GM's discretion) would take Catastrophic Damage; all others would default to Destroyed. Apart from that, all ships would use the revised damage chart.

I like Catastrophic Damage for PCs. It's dramatic and gives the central characters of the story a little more of a chance to not be instantly killed if their ship is toast.

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Why not revise the kill chart for PCs then too?

Because Whill already did.

I think this is referring to this. To be fair, that mod doesn't have any special kill chart for PCs. It only removes wounded twice and mortally wounded statuses for mooks. So mooks would just go W - I - K. Important NPCs would still have the same wound statuses as PCs. And I got the idea from D6 Space, which for all intents and purposes is 3rd edition of the WEG Star Wars game system (with all Star Wars IP removed). D6 Space has some good ideas.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of the source being D6 Space, so I just assumed it was your concept. In a way, though, it achieves a similar effect via a different method, by making PCs harder to kill (or making NPCs easier to kill)...

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I wasn't aware of the source being D6 Space, so I just assumed it was your concept. In a way, though, it achieves a similar effect via a different method, by making PCs harder to kill (or making NPCs easier to kill)...

True, for mook NPCs.

A GM could use your catastrophic damage for important NPCs too, like maybe the big boss villains.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
A GM could use your catastrophic damage for important NPCs too, like maybe the big boss villains.

Indeed. That's part of why I proposed it; to give the GM more tools to work with to keep the story moving.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple open questions for Catastrophic Damage:

1). What would be the Terrain Difficulty of the inside of a starship that is in the process of coming apart?

2). What would be some good entries on a 1D Random Encounter Chart for internal damage? Right now I'm thinking Fire, Electrical Hazard and Blocked Passageway. Does anyone have some other ideas?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other hazards..

Leaks, like say coolant sprayin all over the place.
Gravity screw ups due to grav plates getting damaged/losing power
cargo and other belongings flying all over

As to the terrain, i could easily see it being a cluttered environ equating to low to medium level difficult (16-18)..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Leaks, like say coolant spraying all over the place.

I could see folding this in with the electrical hazard, with a supplemental D6 table to provide details. The basic idea would be some sort of hazard that causes damage (as opposed to a simple obstruction due to fallen debris or a warped blast door), which must then be shut down or repaired somehow (or force the characters onto an alternate route around it).

Quote:
Gravity screw ups due to grav plates getting damaged/losing power
cargo and other belongings flying all over.

That's a good one. IIRC, GG8 and the Planets Compendium have rules for moving in zero gravity, and this would be a good place for those.

Quote:
As to the terrain, i could easily see it being a cluttered environ equating to low to medium level difficult (16-18)..

That could also be a one-time Movement check, occuring when the damage is inflicted, so that anyone up and moving around is potentially subject to getting knocked off their feet or tangled up in something (ala Threepio getting "wired up" in the Falcon in ANH).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to get around to this, and since things are so dead around here at the moment, I thought I'd give this a bump. In the original post, I offered the following rule for shields:
    Shields Weakened (replaces Shields Blown). The ship loses 1D from its Shields total for the remainder of this round and all of the next round. If the ship has no dice remaining in shields (or no shield to begin with), the ship suffers the Controls Ionized result. In the event of multiple Shields Weakened results, the shields regain strength at a rate of 1D per round.

It seemed a good fit at first, but after some consideration, I found an issue. The -1D penalty works fine for ships with only 1D in Shields, but isn't so effective on ships with heavier shields, such as the 2D Shields on B-Wings, or transports that have augmented their shield generators. Plus, the recharge rate of 1D/round doesn't really reflect how ships with heavier shields would have a faster recharge rate (i.e. a ship with 2D Shields would have enough power to regen at 2D per round). So here's my new version:
    Shields Drained (replaces Shields Blown). The ship's Shields are reduced to 0D for the remainder of this round. If the ship has no dice remaining in shields (or no shield to begin with), the ship suffers the Controls Ionized result. The ship suffers no permanent damage, and the Shields are recharged to full strength by the beginning of the next round.

Thoughts?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To update and organize everything, here's the current version:

REVISED STARSHIP DAMAGE CHART (use chart from rulebook, page 128, except as noted):

Shields Drained (replaces Shields Blown). The ship's Shields are reduced to 0D for the remainder of this round. The ship suffers no permanent damage, and the Shields are recharged to full strength by the beginning of the next round. If the ship has no shields to begin with, it suffers the Controls Ionized result instead.

Controls Ionized. No Change.

Lightly Damaged.
1. No Change.
2. Sensors Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. Sensor Suite Damaged. -1D to all Sensor and Astrogation rolls.
    4-6. Fire Control Damaged. -1D to all Fire Control.
3. Weapons Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. One on-board weapon emplacement is rendered inoperative by a major power surge or system failure; it's lightly damaged. Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
    4-6. One on-board weapon emplacement is hit and destroyed; the gunners take damage (see "Passenger Damage".) Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
4. No Change
5. Shields Blown. The ship loses 1D from its Shields total, which lasts until the shields are repaired. If the ship has no remaining dice in Shields, the penalty is applied to the ship's Particle Shields (Hull) up to a maximum of -2D. If the Particle Shields are already reduced by 2D, the ship suffers the Controls Ionized result.
6. No Change.

Heavily Damaged.
1. No Change.
2. Sensors Badly Damaged. Re-roll 1D:
    1-3. Sensor Suite Damaged. -2D to all Sensor and Astrogation rolls.
    4-6. Fire Control Damaged. -2D to all Fire Control
3. Weapons Badly Damaged. Re-Roll 1D:
    1-3. All weapons of one type in one fire arc are rendered inoperative due to a major power surge or system failure, and must be repaired before they can be used again.
    4-6. All weapons of one type in one fire arc are destroyed by a series of power overloads. The gunners take damage (see "Passenger Damage".) Randomly determine which weapon is affected.
4. No Change

5. Shields Blown. The ship loses 2D from its Shields total, which lasts until the shields are repaired. If the ship has no remaining dice in Shields, the penalty is applied to the ship's Particle Shields (Hull) up to a maximum of -2D. If the Particle Shields are already reduced by 2D, the ship suffers the Controls Ionized result.

6. No Change.

Severely Damaged.
1-4. No Change.
5 - Controls Damaged / Bridge Smashed. The ship's control systems are badly damaged. -3D to all skill rolls. For starfighters and space transports, the ship's control linkages and computer systems have been damaged; for capital ships, the ship's bridge or other central command station has taken a direct hit, killing or injuring many of the ship's senior officers.
6. Sensors Destroyed. All Sensors are rendered inoperable. Fire Control is reduced by -4D, and Piloting and Astrogation suffer a -4D penalty due to the loss of all sensor support for navigation purposes.

Destroyed. - No Change.

Catastrophic Damage. (Replaces Destroyed for PC-manned ships)
1-3 - Structural Damage. The ship is so badly damaged that it begins to come apart. The crew has 1D rounds to abandon ship before it is destroyed.

4-5 - Blazing Hulk. The ship is badly damaged and fire rages inside. Roll 1D every round; on a 1, the ship explodes.

6 - Destroyed. The ship instantly explodes in a ball of flame, and all aboard are killed.

Passenger Damage. While the existing rules for passenger damage work fine for small ships (those with a half-dozen crew or fewer), they don't represent the effects of damage on ships with larger crews (in the hundreds or thousands range). Rather than rolling damage against each individual crewman, apply the damage value as a penalty to the ship's Crew Skill dice levels. This represents how crew casualties affect the crew's ability as a whole to operate the ship.
    Lightly Damaged - -1D for 1 round.
    Heavily Damaged - -3D for 1 round, -2D for remainder of battle, -1D until crew casualties can be replaced.
    Severely Damaged - -6D for 1 round, -4D for remainder of battle, -2D until crew casualties can be replaced.
    Catastrophic Damage - Special: reserved for PC manner ships. Characters will have an indeterminate number of rounds to evacuate the ship before it is Destroyed.
    Destroyed - All crew killed. The only exceptions will be NPCs who managed to make it to escape pods with seconds to spare. This allows the GM to preserve the life of major villains and such in the interests of continuing the story.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:00 am; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The ship's Shields are reduced to 0D for the remainder of this round. If the ship has no dice remaining in shields
Thoughts?

If shields are reduced to 0D, how can it have any remaining dice??

CRMcNeill wrote:
Destroyed. - No Change.

Catastrophic Damage. (Replaces Destroyed for PC-manned ships)

Come again? So PC used//operated ships get effectively a NEW health level??

CRMcNeill wrote:

1-3 - Structural Damage. The ship is so badly damaged that it begins to come apart. The crew has 1D rounds to abandon ship before it is destroyed.

And if that 1d roll comes up a 1, are you going to say they still manage to get out??

CRMcNeill wrote:
4-5 - Blazing Hulk. The ship is badly damaged and fire rages inside. Roll 1D every round; on a 1, the ship explodes.

Same as above. If that 1 comes up on the very first round, does it finally mean doom???

CRMcNeill wrote:
Destroyed - All crew killed. The only exceptions will be PCs or notable NPCs who managed to make it to escape pods with seconds to spare.

If a ship's destroyed, Where exactly are they going to have the damn time to GET "Made it to the escape pods with seconds to spare"???
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If shields are reduced to 0D, how can it have any remaining dice??
Quote:
If a ship's destroyed, Where exactly are they going to have the d*mn time to GET "Made it to the escape pods with seconds to spare"???

These are both editing errors. I cut-and-pasted the updates into the text of the original post, but didn't get a chance to proof it before I left for work. Editing now.

Quote:
So PC used//operated ships get effectively a NEW health level??

Asked and answered already in this same topic. But no, catastrophic damage is not a new health level; the ship's destruction is merely deferred for a few rounds in the interests of continuing the story and giving the PCs a chance to make it out with nothing but the clothes on their backs and whatever equipment they had on them at the time..

Quote:
And if that 1d roll comes up a 1, are you going to say they still manage to get out??

This result is a word-for-word copy of an existing result from the RAW's Starship Damage Chart. The only thing I did was move it from Severe Damage to Catastrophic Damage. How did you handle it when you got this result using WEG's rules?

Quote:
If that 1 comes up on the very first round, does it finally mean doom???

Ordinarily, yes, but now that I know how much it would irritate you, not only would I let the PCs live, I'd catch the whole thing on video and email it to you.

Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: