The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactical Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Tactical Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also thinking that fire control ought to have two components with a rule lile this. One for the to-hit modifier/bonus, and one for initiative. The two meed not match, and in fact, IRL, some of the systems used forsake speedy target acquisition in the name of grreater stability.

Depending on the system used, the bonus may be equal, or favor one over the other or even create a penalty to one but a huge bonus to the other, or an expensive one might provide a big bonus to both, etc...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I'm also thinking that fire control ought to have two components with a rule lile this. One for the to-hit modifier/bonus, and one for initiative. The two meed not match, and in fact, IRL, some of the systems used forsake speedy target acquisition in the name of grreater stability.

That would be simple enough; just make the initiative penalty separate from any fire control upgrades, then specify how modifications to weapons and accessories would affect either. Or both. For example, Han Solo's heavy blaster pistol has a scope on it, which might prove useful for hitting targets at longer ranges, but would make the gun itself just slightly more bulky and cumbersome. +1D to Fire Control at Medium and Long Range, -1 to Initiative.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your idea gave me another idea which relates to hip shooting and snap shooting. Ill add it to the original post for optics/sights which are meant to speed up target acquisition.

Last edited by Naaman on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I went back and read some of the stuff on the first page about static ranges. Do you have a conversion formula to use for converting RAW weapon ranges over to the static range method? That's where I always get hung up.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do is make it up whenever a weapon comes into play.

I don't use the weapons that are published in the book. Since its mostly generic stuff anyway. I let a player choose what he wants (5D heavy blaster, for example). And then I give it stats... or let player write it up and I impose a price.

What I will do is write up an exhaustive list of weapons and post it. Doing so may help to develop a conversion formula in case someone would prefer that.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my phone and don't know when Ill get around to using my computer, so just gonna put this up and edit the original at some future time.

For tactical sights instead of adding a bonus to called shots, the tactical/high-viz sights will reduce the initiatve penalty for hip shooting and snap shooting by 2 (from -6 to -4, for example).

I will put the weapons up some other time.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some edits:

Clarified the Quick Draw option.

Clarified and corrected the Hip Shooting and Aimed Shot options.

Changed the Tactical Sights and Bead Sights to reflect the addition of Hip Shooting and Aimed Shots.

Added some restrictions on Weapon Smithing (restricting the accurization of scatterguns).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking over the various scopes, and it occurred to me that, in a sci-fi setting, scope design might be sufficiently advanced for scopes to be auto-zooming types, much like the macrobinoculars used by the Rebel troops in TESB. Rather than having a mix of scopes that function best in a specific range bracket (which, I assume, is how things work in the real world), I would suggest a maximum of three different scope types:
    1) Close Combat Scope, emphasizing accuracy at Point Blank and Short Range, possibly with bonuses to the initiative modifier, as well.
    2) Ranged Scope, emphasizing accuracy at Medium, Long and Extreme ranges, possibly with some aiming assistance, like a target lock-on that allows the scope to act as the shooter's spotter by indicating shot adjustment on a HUD in the scope itself.
    3) Multi-Role Scope, essentially an all-around scope that strikes a balance between the Close Combat and Ranged Scopes, say with a bonus to hit at all ranges, but have the bonus lower than that provided by either of the specialized scopes.

Also, with regards to the bullet-type energy weapons (the ones you list using revolver-type weapons and the like), have you looked into the power guns used in David Drake's Hammer's Slammers novels? That was my first thought when I read that section...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning scopes, I agree with you. There ought to be some tech that covers a wide range of scenarios. The main issue is actually the cost, the way I see it.

Some guns just don't shoot far enough to warrant a long range scope, while some shooters have no need whatsoever to shoot farther than 10s of meters.

So while a full spectrum scope would be great, the demand would be so low that the cost per unit would be huge in order to recoup the cost of R&D. Only a small percentage of shooters using a small percentage of guns would benefit from it.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Ill do is research how a scope like that works, what it costs, and then try to come up with a way to sci-fi it into the SWU.

Off the top of my head the scope could have both a broad range of zoom functions as well as motion tracking and range finding. It may also calculate the distance and atmospheric ballistics, leaving only the wind calculation for the shooter (not sure whether wind would affect blasters, though... I could come up with a way for it to, I suppose... like the friction depleting some of the bolt's energy, etc).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One system i saw a GM use was for 'each round' of aiming with a scope, you could add 1d of your perception rating to your to hit pool up to your Per rating.. So a bounty hunter with a 3d perception could aim (auto+1d) for 3 full rounds gaining a total of +4d to hit (+1d auto for aiming, +3d for per)..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea. It would require some tweaking for it to fit my "philosphy" of blaster/ranged combat... but it does get my gears turning.

I might grant a bonus on search/perception checks made through the scope, the longer you look, the more time the scope has to calibrate and analyze what it's seeing.

Perhaps the scope can be set to "remember" multiple targets, so that if one moves while dealing with another, after the first target is dealt with, it tells the shooter which direction to search for the other target. Would probably require a sensors check. So many ideas...
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TACTICAL TARGET ACQUISITION AND SELECTION DEVICE

This is a multi-power scope that is capable of a wide range zoom and focus settings. The lens can be adjusted to select an infinite range of focal settings and zoom settings within its upper and lower limits.

The image is processed electronically, rather than optically, so it functions more like a digi-cam than direct optical stimulation via magnification lenses.

The scope is available as a basic zooming optic, or it can be outfitted with various options that will add to its cost. The base cost of this scope is 2500 credits.

BlasTech TTAS
The scope can be set to one of five settings. One action is required to select a setting. The details for each setting are given below:

Short Range: The scope provides a +2 bonus on aimed shots with the weapon at short range, and a +1 bonus on all attacks a medium range. It has no effect at other ranges.

Medium Range: The scope provides a +2 bonus on attacks at medium range and a +1 bonus on attacks at long range. It provides a +3 bonus on aimed shots at short range, but if this option is used the character cannot use the dodge skill at all (or other reaction skills as the GM sees fit; if he has already used dodge or another reaction skill, he does not gain the benefits of using the scope).

Long Range: The scope provides a +2 bonus to attacks at long range and a +1 bonus to attacks at extreme range, up to 1000m. It provides a +4 bonus at medium range, but the character using this setting at medium range cannot use the dodge skill at all (or other reaction skills as the GM sees fit; if he has already used dodge or another reaction skill, he does not gain the benefits of using the scope). This scope provides no bonus at less than medium range.

Extreme Range 1: This setting provides a +2 bonus at ranges between 501m to 1000m. At distances beyond 1000m, it provides a +1 bonus. It also provides a +2 bonus on aimed shots at long range. Regardless of the distance to the target, character using this setting cannot use the dodge skill at all (or other reaction skills as the GM sees fit; if he has already used dodge or another reaction skill, he does not gain the benefits of using the scope). This scope provides no bonus at less than medium range.

Extreme Range 2: This setting provides a +2 bonus to hit at distances greater than 1000m. It provides a +4 bonus on aimed shots at distances between 501 and 1000m. It provides a +8 bonus on aimed shots at long range. Regardless of the distance to the target, a character using this setting cannot use the dodge skill or other reaction skills at all in the same round that he takes a shot using this setting.

There's the basic scope. I'll add the options/upgrades later on.

Last edited by Naaman on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Options for BlasTech TTAS

Range Finder
This option may be added to the BlasTech TTAS, increasing its cost by 500 credits.

By making an easy sensors check, the user can determine the exact distance (down to the tenth of a meter) to any target within the range setting that the scope is set to. This reduces the difficulty to hit a target at that range by one difficulty level (for difficulties beyond heroic, subtract 10 from the difficulty). Note that this has no effect if the target is able to dodge the attack.

Motion Sensor/Tracker
Adding this option to the TTAS increases its cost by 3,000 credits.

The scope provides a +4D bonus to search or Perception checks made to locate targets at the same range as the scope is set to. Targets that move outside of the range that the scope is set to are lost, and the bonus does not apply against any targets that are not within the appropriate range to begin with. The bonus does apply on checks to notice a target who moves into the appropriate range.

By making an easy sensors check, the user can select up to three targets. Each target requires a separate action. Alternatively, the user can select multiple targets with a single action, increasing the difficulty by one level (moderate for two targets, difficult for three targets).

Selected targets are remembered and tracked by the scope, which uses a combination of motion tracking and radar to locate targets that have moved outside the view of the scope (but which are still within the appropriate range setting). Therefore, multiple targets can be engaged more rapidly with a higher chance of success. The scope indicates on an HUD in which direction(s) the remaining targets have moved. If the scope also has a range finder, it indicates the distance that they have moved, as well.

For making long range shots, the benefits of aiming may be applied to as many targets as have been remembered by the scope, provided that all the shots are fired in the same round. The character need only aim once to hit up to 4 targets (the first target, plus three "remembered" targets). MAPs apply as normal.

Thermal Detection
This option may be added to the TTAS at a cost increase of 8,000 credits.

The benefits of a thermal optic are applied, as well as any benefits provided by the scope's zoom settings. The thermal sensing may be toggled on or off, and may not be activated at the same time as any other optical upgrades (i.e. infrared, x-ray or night vision).

Infrared Detection
This option may be added to the TTAS at a cost increase of 1,000 credits.

The benefits of an infrared optic are applied, as well as any benefits provided by the scope's zoom settings. The infrared sensing may be toggled on or off, and may not be activated at the same time as any other optical upgrades (i.e. thermal, x-ray, or night vision).

X-Ray Projection
This option may be added to the TTAS at a cost increase of 18,000 credits.

This option allows the viewer to see through objects in the scope's field of view. The x-ray projection is effective out to long range. It cannot see through materials such as lead, or other substances that block x-rays (GM's discretion). Note that the x-ray function does not allow the weapon to shoot through materials that would normally withstand the attack, although it can be used to acquire targets behind false cover. This option is an excellent means of gathering intelligence. The function may be toggled on or off, and may not be used at the same time as any other optical function (i.e. infrared, thermal, or night vision).

Night Optic
This option may be added to the TTAS at a cost increase of 1,000 credits.

The benefits of a night optic are applied, as well as any benefits provided by the scope's zoom settings. The night vision may be toggled on or off, and may not be activated at the same time as any other optical upgrades (i.e. thermal, x-ray, or infrared).

Image Capture
This option may be added to the scope for a cost of 250 credits. The scope has enough internal memory to store 10 holo images. The holo images only project what the scope was able to see at the time the image was captured. Images may be captured using any one of the optical options installed on the scope. For example, an image may be captured in thermal setting or night vision, etc.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a hell of a scope. Maybe too good. It's got an awful lot of capabilities crammed into such a small package. As far as the different vision modes, I'm hesitant to apply modern terminology to a sci-fi setting, since we already have thermal, low-light, etc. I did something similar with grenades; seeing as how fragmentation grenades have been around since before WWII, I swapped them out for proton or concussion grenades (seeing as how the SWU already has proton and concussion warheads).

Also, I'm curious why you seem to be going with flat bonuses (i.e. +1, +2 etc.) as opposed to dice modifiers. On your first post, with something like the Shoot From the Hip, my first reaction would be something like +1D to Initiative, -1D to Blaster, or doing -1D MAP w/ +1D Damage for the Double Tap (as opposed to making two Blaster rolls). Was there a particular reason you went with what you have?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 6 of 24

Jump to: