The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How long would it take for a planet to join the newrepublic?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> How long would it take for a planet to join the newrepublic?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: How long would it take for a planet to join the newrepublic? Reply with quote

As title states - how long do you all think it would take for a planet to go from announcing its intent to join the new republic to proper presentation of ambassadors on coruscant, along with communications being expanded and diplomatic ties being fully achieved?
dicemauler
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the absence of Plot, I would look to the EU as a guide in this case. Wikipedia tells me that Greece applied in 1975 and got accepted in 1981. Spain and Portugal both applied in 1977 and were accepted in 1986. By contrast to these (relatively) speedy inclusions, Turkey applied in 1987 to join the EU and still hasn't been voted in. Another Wikipedia article tells me that negotiations started in 2005 is "likely to take more than a decade to complete."

I guess you could say that worlds deemed important to the New Republic politically could see a speedy entry (5-10 years) and those that aren't so important could probably see the process take longer (10+ years), though how much longer could be fertile story material if your games tend towards the political in nature.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dicemauler wrote:
I would look to the EU as a guide in this case.

Expanded Universe? Just kidding. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
D+1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dicemauler wrote:
In the absence of Plot, I would look to the EU as a guide in this case. Wikipedia tells me that Greece applied in 1975 and got accepted in 1981. Spain and Portugal both applied in 1977 and were accepted in 1986. By contrast to these (relatively) speedy inclusions, Turkey applied in 1987 to join the EU and still hasn't been voted in. Another Wikipedia article tells me that negotiations started in 2005 is "likely to take more than a decade to complete."

I guess you could say that worlds deemed important to the New Republic politically could see a speedy entry (5-10 years) and those that aren't so important could probably see the process take longer (10+ years), though how much longer could be fertile story material if your games tend towards the political in nature.

Yeah, first and most important factor is simply Plot. But I don't think EU is all that great a guide. The Empire wasn't even in existence all that long and wasn't until late in the game that the emperor finally got rid of the last remnants of the OLD Republic. People still remember. INSTITUTIONS certainly still remember the old ways. And it's not like it's a change of regulations for social policies , monetary systems, yadda, yadda, yadda that is going to be a problem. Credits are still credits, whether they were the OLD Republic credits, Imperial credits, or NEW Republic credits. It's going back to what everyone still remembers and preferred.

Send a few ambassadors, agree to abide by the interim constitution (or whatever), and you're in. The only question would be if the NR doesn't WANT you in for some reason - war crimes, complicity in overthrow of the Republic, too many imperial troops in your area who haven't given up yet, or nobody liked you in the old days because... reasons. Or maybe you yourself have a few nits to pick with the NR that you want resolved before you commit entirely - and since there ARE still those out there fighting against the NR maybe you want reassurances.

Other than that kind of thing I'd suggest no more than 6 months to a year.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the timeframe would depend greatly on when the planet or system was trying to join. If it was one of those periods when the NR was flush with members and bureaucracy, then it might take years (strategic assets or location notwithstanding). If it occurs when the NR is hemorraging member worlds, then I'd estimate the acceptance time would be pretty quick.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I think the timeframe would depend greatly on when the planet or system was trying to join. If it was one of those periods when the NR was flush with members and bureaucracy, then it might take years (strategic assets or location notwithstanding). If it occurs when the NR is hemorraging member worlds, then I'd estimate the acceptance time would be pretty quick.

A decent example here is California, Gold Rushed to statehood lickety-split. I concur that it would depend greatly on the world and the political environment.

I think it's even more dependent on your view of the new political regime. If like some posters above you think the Republic survived enough to be functional after the fall of the Empire, it would probably be a fairly byzantine process, with various stages of "membership" as institutions are developed.

In my SWU, the Alliance of Independent Worlds is a kind of oligarchy run by ex-Rebels who were much better at guerilla warfare than administering a far-flung galactic republic. They have four large controlled regions that are nominally theirs, but that control varies from world to world. Taking a cue from real-world events after the Cold War and especially WWII, there are plenty of places where the Imperial governor just changed clothes and ran up a new flag, tithing revenues or resources or whatever to the Alliance whwn signing on. Sometimes that person initiates a process leading to some republican government, sometimes he (no female Imperial leaders, generally, IMSWU) is a benevolent dictator, and sometimes he is a venial gasbag continuing whatever Imperial injustice just because it's nice to be a venial gasbag kleptodictator.

So, in short, the path to Alliance "membership" is very short and direct, but that means there are many... details... to be worked out later. Which fits into my overall theme, that the Empire is not destroyed in an afternoon on and above Endor, but persists for decades as human elements finish the supernatural struggle of the original trilogy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: