The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Would this Modification to an R2 work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Would this Modification to an R2 work? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this discussion for the last few days just watching to see what direction it would meander into =)

Now, if I understand what your trying to do. You want to upgrade an R-Unit so that it has a language database (skillware) and further is can share it in some way with others. More than likely a datascreen and not actual by talking?

In that case, install the skillware with a 2D knowledge base. That is easy enough. Not too expensive and doesn't really acquire additional hardware.

As shown in the movies the R-Unit has some type of dockable input/output that allows it to speak to a pilot (at least on an X-Wing). This did not require R2 to have a language skill as it was translated by the X-Wing's computer to the pilot. This shows that information from R2 could be shared with a hard connection.

So this just leaves how the R-Unit can share this information with the players. As it stands it can transmit information with a hard connection but it does not have a display screen and it doesn't make real sense to install one.

My suggestion would be to install a short range wireless connection keyed to a datapad. This seems easy enough.

Wireless Antenna (range 25 meters)
Cost: 100 credits
Skill: Droid Repair: Easy to moderate

Datapad wireless upgrade (range 25 meters)
Cost: 50 credits
Skill: Computer Repair or Equipment Repair Easy to Moderate

Language Skillware (~185 credits per D) = 270 credits and requires a Difficult Droid Repair skill roll (REUP p.384-386).

So there ya go. 420 credits in parts, two Easy to Moderate skill rolls and a single Difficult skill roll. Give an amount of time required to do the job. If you want double the cost if someone else does the work (drop it off at the shop, come back a day later, pay 840 credits and your done).

At least this is how I would do it this way, your MMV but its a place to start.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And appreciated - but part of the issue is that I can't just do a write off of "you need these parts - go an get them" - the only thing available is used parts and salvage at the moment - which is why they went the route they did.

This is why in its simplest form the question was - would a Translang II denote a +2D to Languages?

I denoted yes - and would require a number of parts to install and increased the difficulty to a very difficult due to how the part is designed for a protocol droid and not an astromech.

They gathered other used parts from the remains of other droids and rolled, With less than ideal tools, at a -1D. And succeeded with the use of some CP.

They usually just plug in the datapad to the droid but the wireless idea has been raised as a future improvement by another player.

All in all I gotta admit - I think I handled it well - given the fits it was giving me.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spare parts from several different types of droids, a scavenged TransLang II Module installed into a R-Unit? So you made them roll a Very Difficult Droid Repair and gave them a -1D penalty for less than ideal tools? Furthermore they have to tape a datapad to his head and have it connected to the R-Unit with a patch cable for him to translate? Champ you did a great job then!

For whatever reason I was thinking of a perfect world and trying to upgrade something in a way it was not intended.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, since they were giving you fits about what they wanted to do, you could always have some malfunctions start cropping up until they put the time and credits into getting the upgrades either improved by someone in their party (thus requiring rolls as well as creds), or by taking the droid to a competent droid repair shop and having the jury-rigged job they did fixed right, then improved. There ARE rules for jury-rigging, and you're well within your rights to implement them, especially if you have players who are insisting on doing this thing now, and their way, and don't want to wait until they have the opportunity to get it done professionally (or by someone who has enough dice in Droid Programming/Repair to do it right).
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:

This is why in its simplest form the question was - would a Translang II denote a +2D to Languages?

I denoted yes - and would require a number of parts to install and increased the difficulty to a very difficult due to how the part is designed for a protocol droid and not an astromech.

All in all I gotta admit - I think I handled it well - given the fits it was giving me.

Quite, I have handled the situation in the past in a similar fashion. The basic rule of thumb house rule I used was:
1. Is it plausible ("no you can't fit a e-web blaster to an R2 unit Bob.)
2. the default difficulty is moderate. +1 level of difficulty for giving a droid a skill or ability normally the purview of a different degree of droid. E.G. like modding languages skill into an astromech (2nd degree) since interpreting is normally the bailiwick of 3rd degree droids.
3. +1 difficulty level for using parts from one manufacturer on a different manufacturer's droid.
4. +/- difficulty level for if the droids description has any info about it being easy to tinker with or not.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought...

While an R2 unit is supposedly incapable of human speech, we see multiple instances in the films of R2 projecting holograms with full audio of human speech. Adding a Transplant into the mix could conceivably allow an R2 unit to project a hologram that speaks the language in question for translation purposes. In addition, a hologram could provide advantages in translation, in that it could mimic body language more accurately than a standard bipedal protocol droid, especially when dealing with aliens with non-standard anatomical structure or non-verbal languages.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that matter, even if you don't want to take the hologram translator approach, the droid could holo-project written text rather than using the datapad.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
While an R2 unit is supposedly incapable of human speech, we see multiple instances in the films of R2 projecting holograms with full audio of human speech.

Depending on data storage and processing power, the R2 unit should be able to cut and splice together anything it records to play back at least audio "speech." It would sound odd, depending on inflection and accent of the speaker(s).

It's done in movies a lot. For instance:

Quote:
Sneakers (1992): My name is Werner Brandes. My voice is my passport. Verify me.

Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly R2's don't have human speech modules to keep all those fussy protocol droids employed. If R2-D2 could actually speak Basic, Threepio would become a mostly superfluous character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: