The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Miniatures game by FFG: "Armada" Fleet Battles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> New Miniatures game by FFG: "Armada" Fleet Battles Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I like the look of this game, and if I still gamed regularly and were not in the dire financial situation I am in, I would likely acquire it and use it in conjunction with a D6 campaign to play out large fleet battles that would affect the campaign.

I know that feeling all too well.

I'm actually considering the possibility of selling my Startship Battles collection and using the money to invest in this one, . . .
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
KageRyu wrote:
I like the look of this game, and if I still gamed regularly and were not in the dire financial situation I am in, I would likely acquire it and use it in conjunction with a D6 campaign to play out large fleet battles that would affect the campaign.

I know that feeling all too well.

I'm actually considering the possibility of selling my Startship Battles collection and using the money to invest in this one, . . .

I've been there, my Battle Fleet Gothic collection went via ebay to fund my Gencon trip a few years back.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally had some time to check out the FFG forums, and was stunned to find a huge selection of custom ships being produced on a 3D print on demand site.
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/175212-custom-3d-printed-ships/
Looks like they have more models up than FFG, and tons of the West End created ships are represented. So far I have seen models of Dreadnaughts, Strike cruisers, Carracks, Star Gallions, Intradictors, Customs Corvettes, and Skipray Blastboats!
I do so love what 3D printing is starting to do for the miniatures portion of gaming!
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how's Armada going? I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on this one, but it looks a bit slow and cumbersome. Thoughts/opinions/playtested wisdom and anecdotes?
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only got two games in before the move started taking all my time, but from what I experiancesd, it plays rather fast. much less time required than several board games I own. So far we haven't topped more than a couple of hours for a game. Hopefully I will have a better report for a 300-400 pt battle in a few weeks.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing it pretty extensively. I've won two small tournaments in my area, and I will be hosting another on Saturday (8/15).

As to it being cumbersome - there is definitely a learning curve to it, and there is a lot to keep track of. However, with experience, more and more of that goes to the back-burner of the brain.

Compared to X-Wing, it's not as developed because X-Wing is about to release Wave 7 and Armada is awaiting Wave 2. So, right now, there's not that many ship options. (2 for Empire; 3 for the Rebellion), but more will come.

The trick, IMO is to get your community to embrace more narrative styles of play, rather than just death-match tournament styles of play. But, just like GMming, that takes a lot of work and coordination.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the objectives make for an interesting point to the entire engagement. I hope to see more objectives in future waves.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave 2 is on the way... well, on the boat anyway. I have 2 shots to win an ISD in local Massing at Sullust tournaments! So if I am super lucky I could end up with 3 ISDs!
Even better, I just ordered a bunch of the custom ships off Shapeways. A Venator, Acclimator, Arquentis, Customs Corvette, Counselor Cruiser, Pelta Frigate, Immobilizer 418, Mobquet Medium Transport, YT2000, Lambda Shuttle, Stormtrooper Transport, 2 different Republic fighter packs, 12 additional V-wings, and 9 Z95 Headhunters.
I will soon have models for almost everything my players are currently dealing with in space. I can't wait to see the pucker factor when I drop that ISD on the table for the first time!
I also have rules to use most of them thanks to DA's Shipyards
https://armadashipyards.wordpress.com
I am loving this game!
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Wave 2 is on the way... well, on the boat anyway. I have 2 shots to win an ISD in local Massing at Sullust tournaments! So if I am super lucky I could end up with 3 ISDs!
Even better, I just ordered a bunch of the custom ships off Shapeways. A Venator, Acclimator, Arquentis, Customs Corvette, Counselor Cruiser, Pelta Frigate, Immobilizer 418, Mobquet Medium Transport, YT2000, Lambda Shuttle, Stormtrooper Transport, 2 different Republic fighter packs, 12 additional V-wings, and 9 Z95 Headhunters.
I will soon have models for almost everything my players are currently dealing with in space. I can't wait to see the pucker factor when I drop that ISD on the table for the first time!
I also have rules to use most of them thanks to DA's Shipyards
https://armadashipyards.wordpress.com
I am loving this game!

Wow, you really laid down some cash for all that 3D printing. What quality of material did you get it printed in?

I was lucky/good enough to win two ISDs for winning two tournaments, and then I earned a Raider-class corvette by running another tournament. So, Wave 2 came early for me. I still have some pre-orders coming my way, but nothing I don't already have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: