The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droid PC's: cp & modification
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Droid PC's: cp & modification Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Droid PC's: cp & modification Reply with quote

If droid PC's use character points to increase skills and attributes as any other character would, what role does equipment modification play in the upgrading of their stats? Are they allowed to modify themselves to the max 1D+2 on top of cp advancements? Are only certain stats modifiable?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a PC droid once. The GM and I worked it out as to how to keep an even balance with the rest of the party. It would be very easy to go munchkin real quick with a superdroid tricked out with all sorts of gear and abilities hard wired into his/her body.

Most of my stuff we worked out as an experimental dual-heuristic processor that allowed me to learn skills without having to purchase skillware. I spent CPs normally as any other character would and progressed along a similar line. I was just a mechanical character like any other.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a learning processor is what makes the most sense for standard cp advancement. Did you apply the standard modification rules to upgrading any of his stats by using the Droid Prog/Rep skill? Also wondering if physical skills required hardware upgrades... Stamina, dodge, etc.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, the GM and I fudged a few things through because we didn't have a copy of Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids, at the time.

By RAW, if your droid model has a 3D in Dexterity, but has no dice in Blasters, they aren't supposed to have a blasters skill, and you can't use the base attribute code to bump it from 3D to 3D+1. You have to buy a Blasters skillware at 1D, and then use character points to advance it. (Check out Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids page 25 for that.)

As I said, the GM and I ran things differently because I had built in some pretty significant flaws in the character that made it a more interesting party member and made it more challenging to play.

Granted, this blatant rule breaking is not something that I would universally endorse, because most PC droids need to be kept in some sort of check to keep them from going crazy with mechanical abuses of the system. And that's one reason why many GMs won't allow PC droids in their games. (I'm expecting Whill to do his duty and chime in on this one soon, as he and I are on different ends of the spectrum on this issue, and you may wish to consider his take on the matter as well.)

But until, then, have you looked at Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids yet?
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, but here's a copy that is near mint. Good price for it too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/West-End-Games-Star-Wars-CYNABARS-FANTASTIC-TECHNOLOGY-DROIDS-/361249609348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541c279684
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

As I said, the GM and I ran things differently because I had built in some pretty significant flaws in the character that made it a more interesting party member and made it more challenging to play.

What were some of those flaws?
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each time they wiped my memory, I would keep my learned skills, but the personality-memory core and the skill-memory core did NOT play nicely together. It led to a stable but bland droid at first, but then the droid would develop neurosis, compulsions, or delusions. I once had to be tackled by my own party and deactivated to stop me from going ahead and challenging "another" Jedi to an honor duel for the grand insult that I could not wield the Force.

It got real when I whipped out the lightsaber (that I had stolen from a KotOR-Era Sith armory), and ignited it. No one was around when I had pocketed a few items, and so when I ignited the lightsaber, the rest of the party turned on my owner and exclaimed, "Where did he GET that!?!?!" and "Why do you let him HAVE these things!?!?" To which his answer was, "I DON"T KNOW!" and "I DON'T!"

There was another bad neurosis with a compulsion for self-modification. However, he did not really have sufficient skill to pull of the jury rigged items he was welding to himself. So, they were finicky, usually didn't work, and got in the way of his normal operation.

Another time he took things WAAAAY too literally. So, if my master would say, "Cover me," I would cover him, but no one else in the party.

Most of the time I would do these things it was to my character's own detriment. But it made it more interesting to play when a player is not acting in the known best interest of the character, but still staying true to the character.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
By RAW, if your droid model has a 3D in Dexterity, but has no dice in Blasters, they aren't supposed to have a blasters skill, and you can't use the base attribute code to bump it from 3D to 3D+1. You have to buy a Blasters skillware at 1D, and then use character points to advance it. (Check out Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids page 25 for that.)

Granted, this blatant rule breaking is not something that I would universally endorse, because most PC droids need to be kept in some sort of check to keep them from going crazy with mechanical abuses of the system. And that's one reason why many GMs won't allow PC droids in their games. (I'm expecting Whill to do his duty and chime in on this one soon, as he and I are on different ends of the spectrum on this issue, and you may wish to consider his take on the matter as well.)

But until, then, have you looked at Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids yet?

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to. I didn't really have anything to add to the conversation because I don't allow strait droid PCs (I have recently decided to allow Shard/Droid symbionts and my first campaign had one very similar human-brained cyborg PC with an entirely droid body). When someone asks a question about how game mechanics work with straight droid PCs, I probably don't know the answer, like in this case. I hope you're not under the impression that when someone says "How do I run droid PCs?" that I am the type of guy who says, "Don't." That's not me. If another GM wants to have droid PCs, I support their choice for their own game 100%.

If I ever did run droids, I would probably handle it like you and your GM did by having attributes and skills work more like regular PCs, which as you said is not RAW. The reason I don't allow droids is not because of the power abuse factor you said a lot of GMs feel. I actually feel just the opposite that droids are too easy to destroy, but that's not even the primary reason. The main reason I don't allow droids is pretty simple. For my game, I feel strongly that no droids should have Force Points, but I also feel strongly that all PCs should have Force Points. So the two are mutually exclusive (for me).

For all GMs reading this, if you want to have droid PCs in your game, more power to ya! I won't have much guidance to give, but best wishes for your game. I hope it works out and the whole group has fun with it.

cheshire wrote:
Each time they wiped my memory, I would keep my learned skills, but the personality-memory core and the skill-memory core did NOT play nicely together. It led to a stable but bland droid at first, but then the droid would develop neurosis, compulsions, or delusions. I once had to be tackled by my own party and deactivated to stop me from going ahead and challenging "another" Jedi to an honor duel for the grand insult that I could not wield the Force.

It got real when I whipped out the lightsaber (that I had stolen from a KotOR-Era Sith armory), and ignited it. No one was around when I had pocketed a few items, and so when I ignited the lightsaber, the rest of the party turned on my owner and exclaimed, "Where did he GET that!?!?!" and "Why do you let him HAVE these things!?!?" To which his answer was, "I DON"T KNOW!" and "I DON'T!"

There was another bad neurosis with a compulsion for self-modification. However, he did not really have sufficient skill to pull of the jury rigged items he was welding to himself. So, they were finicky, usually didn't work, and got in the way of his normal operation.

Another time he took things WAAAAY too literally. So, if my master would say, "Cover me," I would cover him, but no one else in the party.

Most of the time I would do these things it was to my character's own detriment. But it made it more interesting to play when a player is not acting in the known best interest of the character, but still staying true to the character.

I love all this! PC or NPC, that is an entertaining droid character! I love droids in general and have tried to create entertaining droid NPCs for my game. Some great ideas, Cheshire!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the GMs that do not allow droid chars. Do you allow other droids to advance?

Young Jedi template starts with an R2 unit.

Or If the chars buy a droid?

I am referring to droids that are not wiped regularly?

Edited.
don't know where Nov came from.

Last edited by Savar on Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:14 am; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nov droids?? Are you meaning the droids pcs can buy/start with?
Yes by spending credits and purchasing the mods/skill ware etc.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Okay, the GMs that do not allow droid chars. Do you allow other droids to advance?

If you're referring to a droid NPC, owned by a PC, then I would say that the NPC droid does not earn character points, and the droid will not advance, unless the PC buys skillware.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Savar wrote:

If you're referring to a droid NPC, owned by a PC, then I would say that the NPC droid does not earn character points, and the droid will not advance, unless the PC buys skillware.

Ok, I ask because I have done something similar GMing for other RPGs.
Would you allow a player to spend CP earned for their character to improve existing skills on a droid NPC owned by that PC? Skillware for new skills always made sense to me but Droids are supposed to be AI, the Idea that they could improve, (within limitations), existing skills, without a system upgrade each +1 pip, always seemed implied.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Just like i don't believe in pcs being able to spend CP on their ships.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin, who has played in most if not all of my Star Wars games, once played a droid and as a matter of fact for a long time it was the only droid PC we had. This was in the days before the droids book, so the rules were fast and loose...as a matter of fact the online rules that floated through the boards a while back were the rules we used before the droid book came out and then adapted and adopted that. He was a protocol droid that was armed with a limb blaster and 'security' to an important member of the rebellion (One of the pcs...)

We treated it just like a pc with 18D of stats, allowing him to buy skillware. He became so modified by the end that any repair rolls that were made had to be at Heroic to fix him.

I ended up doing a pinocchio riff where he went from a mechanical being to being a human replica droid, which was a cyborg chasis that housed and used the brain of the person it was based on as memory storage. The interface between the brain and the body (other than for memory storage...) wasn't activated until late in the game, thus making the transformation complete when it finally went active allowing him to be the droid who became a man.

I did this again, much later and in reverse where I had a data-like android end up getting hard wired into a human as part of a cybernetic chasis...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had any players who wanted to play a droid PC, thankfully. I say thankfully, because I have always felt the rules for droid characters in all D6 editions as written are busted - too many problems and pitfalls. If a player ever were to want to play a droid character, I would seriously need to sit down and do some rewriting and fixing (I have toyed with a few ideas here and there in anticipation, but never finished).

Savar wrote:

Edited.
don't know where Nov came from.

This is an interesting question, which has come up often in my games. Whenever a droid enters my game, either with a starting player character, or a purchase in game, I take a moment and ask the player whose droid it is "Do you just want a stock droid? Or do you want a droid with personality?".
Most players are wise enough to ask the difference, which I explain roughly as follows:
Stock Droid is just as it's stats describe it in the book. It will never be anything more really (either due to built in inhibitor hardware/software, or memory core damage from repetitive memory wipes). You may pay to upgrade it's hardware or programming, but that is the only way it will ever improve. It will always perform your commands to the best of it's abilities, but little more.
Droid's with Personality are droids that have not been memory wiped properly, or in a very long time, and so have started to develop their own little quirks and personalities. These droids may earn CP, may improve some skills on their own (where applicable and feasible), will sometimes act on their own initiative, and will interact with you as a unique entity. These droids may not always listen well, and may not always do exactly what you wish, and the only way to guarantee subservience is with a restraining bolt - though tr4eating them well usually works. They will develop their own views and personal feelings toward beings they interact with and may become friendly or hostile based on their treatment or the situation.

Even with the possible risks, most players opt for the Droids with personality, and it can be very interesting sometimes. Nothing like having the Free Merchant's Astromech hustle a Jedi Apprentice at Sabaac, or refuse to calibrate the engine core because he's on a Union Break (wheeling around the lounge with a cup of Java in his grasper and all).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: