The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I'm Singing in the rain!... well trying to stay standing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> I'm Singing in the rain!... well trying to stay standing. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wow.. if they are that 'shallow' that being killed cause the baddie managed to say edge them towards somewhere that when the wind kicked up it knocked them over the precipice, rather than being cleaved by said baddie, maybe they should go back to playing pc games with god mode enabled...

Whoa, hang on there. This thread is premised on "the elements of nature [being] a bigger factor in a battle than the enemy." I don't know whether you literally meant what you wrote, but what else do we have to go on?

"Bigger factor" implies weather as a full antagonist, and I answered in that vein. If that's not what you mean--if you only mean the occasional -1d penalty, or a hazard that still needs a villain to kick the PCs into it, that's not a bigger factor than an enemy. Not to my mind, anyway, nor measured against the enemies I employ in my campaigns.

A sandstorm that can kill PCs before they even get to the fight, now, or a black, radioactive rain for which there is no treatment--that's a bigger factor than an enemy. It's also an end many players find anticlimactic, and thus to be used with caution, as I suggested above. Before sneering at the answers you get, a little more precision in the questions you ask would be welcome.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for miscommunicating there Mdlake.. I was more thinking the weather was a BIG hamper/changer on the battle field, but not the ender of things, either before battle or during (like each pc gets a 1 in 36 chance of getting struck by a 20d lightning bolt situation)...
borithan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a player I have to say I always dread the possibility of trying to cross a river. Shooting a man at 200 yeards, through fog, while balancing on a bannister, fine. Getting across a simple ford on a river... if someone doesn't nearly die I am surprised...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about running on a slick foot path suspended 300 feet in the air, shooting/dodging, while having to resist 120mph winds?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

borithan wrote:
As a player I have to say I always dread the possibility of trying to cross a river. Shooting a man at 200 yeards, through fog, while balancing on a bannister, fine. Getting across a simple ford on a river... if someone doesn't nearly die I am surprised...

Reminds me of one of my early games where I automatically drowned simply because ididnt have the swim skill written on my character sheet.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when we played Runequest in Balazaar/Elder Wilds, I recall crossing large rivers could be quite dangerous even if a giant river serpent didn't try to eat you. Base 25% swimming just doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:

Reminds me of one of my early games where I automatically drowned simply because ididnt have the swim skill written on my character sheet.

Early on in my gaming career, i had a pc drown cause of wearing too much gear (and a power suit that was severely damaged), an only having 2d+2 swimming (base str skill)....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back up after watching an oldie with Morgan Freeman and Christian Slater, called Hard Rain.

What checks would there be to stand on one's feet under a wave from say a breaking dam or flood gates opening.
What sort of dangers could characters encounter besides the flood waters (and resulting Debris) itself?
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Bringing this back up after watching an oldie with Morgan Freeman and Christian Slater, called Hard Rain.

What checks would there be to stand on one's feet under a wave from say a breaking dam or flood gates opening.
What sort of dangers could characters encounter besides the flood waters (and resulting Debris) itself?

Disease and parasites from the water.

Maybe some large angry aquatic life that just had its home destroyed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: