The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

alternative Jedi weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> alternative Jedi weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a flashlight and lay it across the top of a fist so you can visualize it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
Take a flashlight and lay it across the top of a fist so you can visualize it.

I visualize leverage issues. Not being able to grip the hilt will make the saber much less able to make a hard block against an attack from another saber...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well leverage isn't an issue with a lightsaber since even a little contact can be deadly. I had also visualized that while using this saber type the jedi would wear an cortosis or prink gauntlet in the off hand to block an opponents lightsaber with.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are multiple instances in the films of blade locking, where the duelists are applying leverage via blade-to-blade contact. Why exactly that is with a purely energy weapon, I can't say, unless the field has some sort of static effect that functions like a physical barrier. But in any case, a lightsaber worn across the back of the knuckles in the manner you describe would be at a serious disadvantage in such a contest. YMMV, but I see a couple other issues as well.

Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought of it being used in more of a mix of boxing and lightsaber combat, that is why the cortosis Gauntlet is there to block attacks as well as another weapon for attack. I had the image of what kind of lightsaber a very strong alien species would use such as a wookiee or a gamorran who would use their strength more in a fight than a lightsaber.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see it more like standard brass knuckles, with the lightsaber gripped as normal, but with the knuckle rings there to protect the wielder's hand if he wanted to make a hilt strike.

The trade-off with an integrated gauntlet is that, while it does protect the hand and/or wrist, you trade off a lot of flexibility. The lightsaber is essentially locked into a single grip position that eliminates the possibility of quick stance changes, such as reversing the blade, or passing the blade to your off-hand.

Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read the description, I'd thought he was talking about something more along the lines of a push dagger of some sort.

You DEFINITELY wouldn't have the same kind of control with this weapon that you would with a lightsaber actually held in your hand.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well every lightsaber is unique to the crafter and each crafter will be able to use it to the maximum potential. If anything, this lightsaber would be used in conjunction with heavy armor allowing the jedi to wade through combat like a tank absorbing damage and then dealing it out. the control would be mostly the same since most of a lightsabers precise movements come from the movement of the Jedi's wrist. In fact it might also be a better design for a more dexterous Jedi since when you hold something in your hand, your wrist movement is slightly less then when not holding something, since the saber is on the knuckle instead of in the hand, the limits on wrist movement is better than a held saber.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
When I first read the description, I'd thought he was talking about something more along the lines of a push dagger of some sort.

There is that, too. From what he is describing, I would think a paired set of Force Claws incorporated into gauntlets with cortosis alloy bracers would be better. They would essentially be brawling weapons for a brawling Jedi, with the . They wouldn't have the reach of a lightsaber, and the character would definitely have to close inside melee range to get in a blow. Using cortosis alloy instead of cortosis ore would take away the lightsaber-shut-down effect you get with the ore, but the alloy is much more durable, and still able to parry lightsabers, as well as other, more normal weapons.

Quote:
You DEFINITELY wouldn't have the same kind of control with this weapon that you would with a lightsaber actually held in your hand.

Agreed.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
Well every lightsaber is unique to the crafter and each crafter will be able to use it to the maximum potential. If anything, this lightsaber would be used in conjunction with heavy armor allowing the jedi to wade through combat like a tank absorbing damage and then dealing it out. the control would be mostly the same since most of a lightsabers precise movements come from the movement of the Jedi's wrist. In fact it might also be a better design for a more dexterous Jedi since when you hold something in your hand, your wrist movement is slightly less then when not holding something, since the saber is on the knuckle instead of in the hand, the limits on wrist movement is better than a held saber.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea for this; have you tried wielding a weapon like that? It doesn't work nearly as well as you seem to think it would. Putting the grip inside the grasp of your fingers allows you a great deal more manual dexterity, and allows you to use all the available muscles in your fingers. Putting it on the back of your knuckles locks it into one position and limits your available muscle power to the first set of knuckles. On top of that, our hands were designed to manipulate things inside the grip, and we lose a lot of dexterity by trying to manipulate things with the backs of our fingers.

You obviously are quite enamored with the idea, so go ahead and run with it, but it is certainly not something that works for me, both for practical reasons and for how I picture the Jedi (they are almost never armored up in the manner you suggest). YMMV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: