The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My review of Heir to the Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> My review of Heir to the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: My review of Heir to the Jedi Reply with quote

Well i finished reading this new SW novel, and as promised here is my review of it..

For a novella set between ANH and ESB, i loved how it showcased luke still being the 'weakling in the force' that he was, and that he was slowly learning about his abilities. I also liked that they tried to give him a romantic interest that was NOT Leia (though he still was shown to have feelings for her). Its a true pity though, [spoiler]that this new romantic interest had to die in the end. I felt she would have been a real good match for Luke for at least a few years[/spoiler]

For the 'other characters' in the novel, i actually liked the Given scientist/math wiz that he had to go and rescue from the Empire, and much liked the female main that they paired off with Luke. I even liked her father with his constant referring to his workers as "minions", as it provided some great comic relief.

My only 2 main gripes with it, was
1) that we really didn't get much of ANYTHING of the other main heroes of the rebellion other than some cameos from Leia early on.
and 2) That though he had somewhat of a break through in the end on his force powers, luke was still a ways off from what he seemed to be like in ESB or heck even Shadows of the Empire.

All in all i liked it a lot. a solid 3.5 out of 5 stars from me.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this book, but haven't read it yet. I'm still reading through the other novels I bought first. However, I would agree that Luke should NOT have a true romantic interest, because she would distract him from what he NEEDED to do, and that would be learning how to harness his true potential in the Force.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: My review of Heir to the Jedi Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
My only 2 main gripes with it, was
1) that we really didn't get much of ANYTHING of the other main heroes of the rebellion other than some cameos from Leia early on.
and 2) That though he had somewhat of a break through in the end on his force powers, luke was still a ways off from what he seemed to be like in ESB or heck even Shadows of the Empire.

All in all i liked it a lot. a solid 3.5 out of 5 stars from me.

Thanks for sharing.

According to Nathan Butler of Star Wars Timeline Gold fame, this novel is supposed to take place very soon after ANH, so TESB and SotE are still a ways off. Luke hardly had any training and not much experience with the Force at this point. I'm not sure I understand your gripe about that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: