The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What company made Huyang?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> What company made Huyang?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: What company made Huyang? Reply with quote

Okay guys - My game is set back in the Old Republic Era and my players just ran across and old model droid that was modified.

I was looking for pictures and gotta admit - Huyang fit the bill amazingly.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Huyang

But who made this droid line, if it is a line? I stated to my player that the droids internal components looked almost like Gree construction, but it was obviously designed for humanoid interaction.

What do you guys think? Who could have designed a droid like Huyang?

It is stated in clone wars that Huyang is an old model droid as well. I like the idea of a Gree droid line designed to gain the dying race some needed income flow and maybe ease some tension with other races so they designed a general repair/construction line of droids for the republic some 500bby.

EDIT: Oh and who wants to help me stat him?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Gree would be a good fit. I've always considered the Gree protocol droids on Coruscant to be a sort of backhanded compliment to the relationship between the Gree and the people of Coruscant, considering "They were particularly contemptuous of droids, which were not a part of Gree technology"

Perhaps Taung might be a better fit - the Taung were an old race, they were much more interested in warfare than many other races, they were the originators of the Mandalorians, and I can see that they might build a droid that would obsess about weaponry - in this case, lightsabers.

If I were to choose a manufacturer, I might choose Bibliotron Systems because of their work in public infrastructure (and I'm thinking an 'architect droid' might be made in that context).
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bibliotron - the name refers to a library - basically making the statement that they produce systems and droids for information storage.

I can see the relation though.

And I just realized how old Huyang is.....

Is that even possible in your eyes guys - that he is a droid that was around when the jedi were beginning? That makes him over 25,000 years old....

Do we even know of any droid companies around during 25k BBY??
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rakata and the Kwa were around back then, and at the very least the Rakata built droids. The Taung are also an old race that did build droids at the very least peripherally related to warfare, and the reason why I suggested the Taung is the somewhat stylized faceplate of Huyang.

I don't think it'll be a known droid manufacturer that was active way back then - hence my comment, "I might choose Bibliotron Systems", because I think they might be a good fit for an architect droid.

Do note that 'architect droid' might be a misnomer or incorrect translation - though it is clear that Huyang might be borderline obsessed about lightsaber designs, an 'architect' might also be a designer of sorts - the word is from the Greek arkhitekton (arkhi-, chief + tekton, builder), i.e. chief builder.

Which might be closer to whatever original term that was used to designate the droid might mean. So I'm suggesting that a Taung droid that was a master armorer might be called 'chief builder (of weapons)', because that made sense to the Taung - and then it got mistranslated into 'architect droid'.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm you might be onto something there - but lets take a look at the two faces:

Huyang-

Taung-

Not too similar - but still possible, I do have to admit.

Lets go one step further and look through aliens races as see if we can find one that had a similar facial design.

Rounded eyes - sloped bars to the side of the head - and facial extensions off the sides of the chin. Or similar at least.

OH CRAP

Yes, I was just thinking about it while I was staring at Huyang's face and typing.

Well, I'm still going to keep looking, but that is a ... disturbing thought.

BAH - and I had to see and click THIS

Anyways, like I said, I'll keep browsing races to see what I come across.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, you're right, Sith works much better. Also, the irony is delicious. Plus the Sith did build various war droids, often enhanced with Sith alchemy.

Fun part might be if the thing is slightly malfunctioning, and is really trying to build a holocron or something, but it doesn't know how many is 'enough', and therefore just keeps gathering designs for its lightsabers. And it's still on chapter one.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking though, there are soooooooo many species *sighs*
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to think that the Rakata created him and made in the image of one of the "Slave species". That way they would be more comfortable around something that looks like them. It also makes sense that he is an architect droid for the Rakata and he was working with the sith to build structures around the galaxy such as Temples or cities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: