The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hysalrians
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Hysalrians Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rollenspiel
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Hysalrians Reply with quote

re: Hysalrians

I couldn't find any stat block for this very exotic species. Does one exist in official literature, or must I invent one? I looked through Aranha's Alien Catalogue, but there was nothing. The Wookiepedia suggests that there may (?) be a connection with the Sluissi, but is it advisable to borrow their stat block for the Hysalrians? My gut says that the two species are different enough that borrowing the stat block wouldn't be a very good idea.

source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hysalrian
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard of them but they look pretty cool. A lot like D&D yuan-ti actually, which I recently tried to re-skin for d6 Fantasy. I'll try to remember to post my stats for those later when I'm near my monster book. If it would be helpful; it's just a creature collection type entry, not a playable race writeup.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd base their stat block on [url=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pho_Ph'eahian]Pho Ph'eahians[/url], then look at Sluissi for their lower half (particularly the Move rate), and maybe with a sprinkling of Ewok 'primitive' on top as they don't look that technologically advanced to me. If you want to throw in a few more things, you might go for the Mon Calamari 'moist environment' special ability.

Home Planet: Hysalria
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 1D/4D
KNOWLEDGE 1D/4D
MECHANICAL 1D/4D
PERCEPTION 1D+2/4D+1
STRENGTH 1D/4D
TECHNICAL 2D/3D
Special Abilities:
Four Arms: Hysalrians have four arms. They can perform two actions per round with no penalty; a third action in a round receives a -1D penalty, a fourth action a -2D penalty, and so forth.
Four Eyes: Hysalrians have four eyes. Similar to Talz, Hysalrians can see in low light levels (equivalent of a starlit night) with no penalties.
Swamp Dweller: (same as Mon Calamari 'moist environment')

Story factors:
Strange looking: Hysalrians diverge from what is considered the basic, humanoid bodyplan of the Galaxy. As such, in social situations where their uniqueness is a disadvantage (certain social circumstances and so on), a Hysalrian receives a -1D penalty. In social circumstances where their uniqueness is praised, a Hysalrian receives a +1D bonus.
Primitive: (same as Ewok)
Move: 8 / 10
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first came across this species just last month. They look cool.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always hesitant when creating a species and giving it the ability to perform multiple actions. I would suggest perhaps giving a bonus to skill checks that logically could benefit from four arms: brawling, grappling, climbing, repairs, etc.

I am intrigued by this species, so I went ahead and did a planetary profile. Let me know what you think.

Quote:
Hysalria
Hysalria is a star system located within the Sluis sector in the Outer Rim Territories of the galaxy. Isolated in the Outer Rim it is the homeworld of the serpentine Hysalria. With the lower half of a serpent their upper halves were humanoid with four arms, four small black eyes, two fingers and opposable thumbs. Skin of the Hysalrian was muted green with segments underbellies of white or light green.

A simple race with no desire to be part of the galactic community the Hysalrians value family above all else and though accepting of strangers they take care of their own.

Hyslaria is a temperate planet with three moons. Its surface is dotted with huge jungles and bogs. It has a standard gravity and Type I atmosphere but its high humidity makes the planet uncomfortable for some species.

Because of its location the planet has not developed trade with the rest of the galaxy though they know of it. They are just not interested. The small population of thirty thousand live in small communities of no more than 300-500 sentients. The largest enclave has a dirt patch that some traders have jokingly referred to as "The Coruscant Diamond." It is nothing more than a cleared field for travelers to land on.

Hysalria
Region: Outer Rim Territories, Sluis Sector
Trade Routes: None
Orbital Position: 3
Moons: 3
Length of Day: 23 hours
Length of Year: 341 local days
Starport: Landing field

Type: Terrestrial
Temperature: Temperate
Atmosphere: Type I
Hydrosphere: Arid (~15%)
Gravity: Standard
Terrain: Swamp, bogs, jungles, bayous
Population: 30 thousand
Native Species: Hysalrians
Sapient Species: 98% Hysalrians, 2% other
Languages: Galactic basic standard
Planet Function: Homeworld
Government: Family
Tech Level: Feudal
Major Exports: None
Major Imports: None
Affiliation: None

Quote:

Hysalrians

Personality: Insular, but friendly to outsiders. They have strong family and community/tribal ties. This extends to all Hysalrians. Most of their communities are from 75-100 sentients with larger communities reaching 300-500 members.

Physical Description: Hysalria are serpentine, with the lower half of a serpent their upper halves are humanoid with four arms, four small black eyes, two fingers and opposable thumbs. Skin of the Hysalrian is muted green with segmented underbellies of white or light green.

Homeworlds: Hysalria

Languages: Sheshhh

Example Names: N'Kata Del Gormo

Adventurers: None

Hysalrians
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 1D/4D
KNOWLEDGE 1D/4D
MECHANICAL 1D/4D
PERCEPTION 1D+2/4D+1
STRENGTH 1D/4D
TECHNICAL 2D/3D
Special Abilities:

--Four Arms: Hysalrians have four arms. In situations where the use of an extra pair of hands would be helpful (brawling, climbing, sleight of hand, some repairs) Hysalrians get a +1D modifier.

Story factors:
--Primitive: Beginning Hysalrian characters are limited in their selection of Knowledge, Mechanical and Technical skills. They may not choose skills that would be Feudal tech-level.
Move: 8/10
Size: 1.5 to 1.8 meters

Edit History (2015-Jan-25):
1. Removed Swamp Dweller special ability.
2. Removed Dry Environment special ability.
3. Rewrote Primitive story factor.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter

Last edited by shootingwomprats on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:41 am; edited 4 times in total
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game already has the 'Ebranites' from galaxy guide 12 and they have 6 arms, lol...
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I am always hesitant when creating a species and giving it the ability to perform multiple actions.

Bobmalooga wrote:
The game already has the 'Ebranites' from galaxy guide 12 and they have 6 arms, lol...

I'm pretty sure he didn't create Ebranites.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Fairly certain, but extra multiple appendage critters are a pain no matter if it is 4 or 6
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
Whill wrote:

Fairly certain, but extra multiple appendage critters are a pain no matter if it is 4 or 6

How so? I'm wondering if there is something I didn't consider for my 4-arm species.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Bobmalooga wrote:
Whill wrote:

How so? I'm wondering if there is something I didn't consider for my 4-arm species.

My player constantly wanted to do multiple actions without any penalty because he had six arms...such as fire 6 guns at once and other crazy things...It's one of the few characters I let into the game that I hated after we started playing.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a power gamer. Multiple actions with no penalty is not a special ability I gave my 4-armed species so that wouldn't be an issue. In my game, when a player selects a species to play, the player is accepting the stats that come with it. If the player wants to play a species not on my current playable species list or invent a new species, all stats including special abilities are worked out by me and the player and mutually agreed upon before play begins. I've never had a player ask for new abilities the character didn't start with after play begins. That must be annoying.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sounds like a power gamer. Multiple actions with no penalty is not a special ability I gave my 4-armed species so that wouldn't be an issue. In my game, when a player selects a species to play, the player is accepting the stats that come with it. If the player wants to play a species not on my current playable species list or invent a new species, all stats including special abilities are worked out by me and the player and mutually agreed upon before play begins. I've never had a player ask for new abilities the character didn't start with after play begins. That must be annoying.

After the 3-4 time I had to explain that wasn't how it worked I finally just got fed up with him and asked what part of 'no' was whipping his A$$?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
Whill wrote:

After the 3-4 time I had to explain that wasn't how it worked I finally just got fed up with him and asked what part of 'no' was whipping his A$$?

Instead of arguing with your player I would just explain he can perform as many actions he likes ... at -1D for every action after the first. I would also explain that just because the species has four arms does not mean it has two dominant hands or ambidexterity. If he continues to complain you can always pull out the GM "dumbstick" and explain, "Because I said so."
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I am always hesitant when creating a species and giving it the ability to perform multiple actions. I would suggest perhaps giving a bonus to skill checks that logically could benefit from four arms: brawling, grappling, climbing, repairs, etc.

Especially when you consider, the RAW for pho-phinnians as is, gives them the capacity to make one extra action (any, even mental such as using a force power) for free which makes no sense.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

Especially when you consider, the RAW for pho-phinnians as is, gives them the capacity to make one extra action (any, even mental such as using a force power) for free which makes no sense.

Agreed.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: