The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D-Wing Strategic Reconnaissance Starship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> D-Wing Strategic Reconnaissance Starship Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: D-Wing Strategic Reconnaissance Starship Reply with quote

In homage to the SR-71 Blackbird, another one from the archives...

Craft: FreiTek Shadow Works Division's D-Wing
Type: Strategic Reconnaissance Starship
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 32 meters
Skill: Starfighter Piloting: D-Wing
Crew: 2 (1 @ +5), plus 1 Astromech
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 5D+1
Starship Gunnery 5D+2
Starfighter Piloting 7D
Starfighter Shields 4D+1
Sensors 5D
Passengers: None
Cargo Capacity: 200kg.
Consumables: 2 weeks
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x 1/2
Hyperdrive Backup: x8
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 0D
Space: 20*
Atmosphere: 900; 2,200 kph*
*Sensor skill rolls to detect and identify the D-Wing receive a +5 bonus if the D-Wing is at Full Speed, and a +10 bonus if it is at All-Out.
Hull: 2D
Shields: 1D (Can also be used in Stealth Mode, which applies a -1D penalty to opposed Sensor rolls, but can not be used in both modes simultaneously)
-Fire Control Jamming: -3D to all Fire Control rolls targeting the ship (-1D for Capital Ships)
Sensors:
Passive 60/1D
Scan 75/2D
Search 90/3D
Focus 6/4D
Stealth +1D (Sensor Baffling External Coat)
Game Note: The ship's drives produce a powerful sensor signature at speed, which degrades the effectiveness of the ship's sensors. Apply the following modifiers to Sensor Difficulty based on the Ship's speed:
    Running Silent = -10
    Cautious = -5
    Cruising = 0
    Full = +10
    All-Out = +20
Weapons:
Self-Destruct System
Damage: 9D
Range: Full damage to the D-Wing, 1/2 damage to anything in the same Space Unit, or within 100 meters.
Capsule:
The D-Wing is a product of the Shadow Works division of Alliance Engineering, which would eventually become part of FreiTek Incorporated after the Restoration of the Republic. Alliance High Command had need of a dedicated reconnaissance platform that could penetrate heavily defended Imperial facilities using a combination of speed and stealth.

To achieve that goal, Shadow Works' designers had to impose some pretty severe compromises on the design. While their previous stealth design, the R-Wing Stealth Strike Starfighter, was extremely stealthy at the expense of speed, the D-Wing was slanted heavily towards speed over stealth.

The D-Wing is visually identical to the classic Baudo-Class Staryacht. The Baudo design was selected due to the sensor dissipating nature of its basic profile. The insides of the ship, however, are a completely different creature. The ship's internal volume is almost entirely consumed by a massive stardrive and sensor array, leaving just enough room in the bow for a cockpit and a cramped living space for the ship's crew.

The D-Wing is capable of cruising at speeds that normal starfighters can only dream about. In fact, the D-Wing is without a doubt the fastest starship in known space, with double the speed of a TIE/ln, and her engines produce a spectacular fireworks show when she goes to full thrust. An unfortunate side effect is that the massive energy signature produced by the engines actually disrupts the very sensors that allow the D-Wing to perform its reconnaissance missions. As a result, the D-Wing is usually forced to dart into a target area and drop to minimal speed to get a clean sensor sweep before reengaging its drives to escape before enemy forces can intercept it. D-Wing missions often resemble a deadly game of cat-and-mouse in space.

In addition, to achieve the ship's awesome speed capability, the designers were forced to exclude any sort of armament, so the D-Wing is entirely dependent on speed and stealth to survive any sort of threat. As an added concern, the ship requires almost constant maintenance attention between missions, and is very expensive to maintain and operate.

Alliance Command has only a single squadron of D-Wings in service, and they are all attached directly to Fleet Command. They are considered a special mission asset, performing missions exclusively for Alliance Intelligence and High Command. Normal deployments consist of one or two D-Wings accompanied by a pair of light freighters transporting the support staff.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:06 pm; edited 5 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. 20 space speed, AND some sensor package that would make a Y-wing long probe envious.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wow.. 20 space speed, AND some sensor package that would make a Y-wing long probe envious.

Yeah, but at the cost of having no weapons, no usable cargo space and being ridiculously expensive and difficult to maintain. The speed may be a bit much, but if you are doing a tribute to the SR-71, how fast is too fast?

Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Yeah, but at the cost of having no weapons, no usable cargo space and being ridiculously expensive and difficult to maintain. The speed may be a bit much, but if you are doing a tribute to the SR-71, how fast is too fast?

I will always remember my trip to the wright patterson air force museum in the 80s, just after the Russians had mentioned that they had achieved the top flight speed record. We were getting a tour as part of a school visit and a buddy of mine and I saw (and were drooling over...) the SR-71 and asked the guide (who happened to be one of the many military personal there...) how the Blackbird stood up to those speeds and what he thought about the recent Russian announcement, his response was classic, 'If someone beats our record or claims to we put the Blackbird back into the air and push the gas just a little harder...'

I love the design, great work.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I can see the speed being ok on its own, but when combined with a sensor package usually reserved for capital ships in range, something is imo out of wak.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mission is strategic reconnaissance; to do recon, you have to have good sensors.

Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I will always remember my trip to the wright patterson air force museum in the 80s, just after the Russians had mentioned that they had achieved the top flight speed record. We were getting a tour as part of a school visit and a buddy of mine and I saw (and were drooling over...) the SR-71 and asked the guide (who happened to be one of the many military personal there...) how the Blackbird stood up to those speeds and what he thought about the recent Russian announcement, his response was classic, 'If someone beats our record or claims to we put the Blackbird back into the air and push the gas just a little harder...'

I love the design, great work.

Yeah, I love Wright Pat. My aunt and uncle used to live in Dayton, and that was one of their favorite places to take me when I stayed with them.

And my cousin, who just retired from the Air Force with her husband, was qualified on the SR-71. They decommissioned it almost right after she qualified; she was SOOOO pissed lol
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
The mission is strategic reconnaissance; to do recon, you have to have good sensors.

I think what garkhal is getting at here is that, with sensors THAT good, the ship basically ought to have to either bug out in advance to avoid being seen, or have a REALLY good place from which to sit and use their passive sensors/recording equipment. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a guarantee that they'll get out of the system every time; that would eliminate the edge-of-the-chair experience when the Imps discover your espionage craft, dump a load of TIES to come get you, and you suddenly have to outrun them all.

If the sensors were scaled back, he'd have no problem with the speed. At least, that's what I understood him to be saying.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestions?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

I think what garkhal is getting at here is that, with sensors THAT good, the ship basically ought to have to either bug out in advance to avoid being seen, or have a REALLY good place from which to sit and use their passive sensors/recording equipment. Otherwise, it shouldn't be a guarantee that they'll get out of the system every time; that would eliminate the edge-of-the-chair experience when the Imps discover your espionage craft, dump a load of TIES to come get you, and you suddenly have to outrun them all.

If the sensors were scaled back, he'd have no problem with the speed. At least, that's what I understood him to be saying.

Exactly. With it's speed, giving it the regular Baudo sensor package' still gives it that 'strategic recon' capacity as it swoops through at speeds most fighters would need to go ALL OUT for just to keep up with.
Take the 20 speed as is. That can be halved to 10 (same as a regular Tie/IN at cruise). By the rules, a ship going through moderate or lower terrain at half speed does not even NEED to make a roll, nor is moving through it an action. Where as the Tie fighter while not needing the roll itself, is still considered an action for moving through the exact same terrain.
At cruise for this, its getting the capacity to move through terrain a lot easier than the Tie does at Double speed...

AS for suggestions. This is the sensor rating for the Y_wing longprobe, a craft designed for strategic reconnaissance.
Passive: 40/0D
Scan: 70/1D
Search: 80/2D
Focus: 4/3D

And the Longprobe can't use its turret as a turret, it must be locked forward, while its using the sensors.
It has a back up hyperdrive and nav comp, so loses out on some shields and a second seat to get those sensors in it. Otherwise its the same as a regular longprobe.
With your ship, either drop the sensor range way down (say to that of the long probe) or drop its speed down say to 14...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm okay with cutting it, but only so far. The Longprobe is based on an outdated starfighter, whereas this thing would be built in limited numbers and equipped with the very best the Alliance could get their hands on to ensure they get the best picture possible when they send it out. At the very least, Passive should be higher. Perhaps:

Passive 60/2D
Scan 75/3D
Search 90/4D
Focus 6/5D

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you dropping the speed any? ANd i note you are putting this up there in Dice bonus, to where even an Ewok (1d+2 ave mech) would be able to get a difficult roll with a focus..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because the RAW allows silly situations like that doesn't mean I'm going to dumb down the sensors on a massively expensive dedicated recon platform.

Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a slightly modified take on the ship. Perhaps the updated sensor package is more appropriate for this one.

Craft: FreiTek Shadow Works Division's D-Wing
Type: Strategic Reconnaissance Starship
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 32 meters
Skill: Starfighter Piloting: D-Wing
Crew: 2 (1 @ +5), plus 1 Astromech
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 5D+1
Starship Gunnery 5D+2
Starfighter Piloting 7D
Starfighter Shields 4D+1
Sensors 5D
Passengers: None
Cargo Capacity: 1 metric ton
Consumables: 1 month
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x 1/2
Hyperdrive Backup: x8
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 0D*
Space: 17 (primary) / 2 (secondary)*
Atmosphere: 900; 2,200 kph*
*Sensor skill rolls to detect and identify the D-Wing receive a +5 bonus if the D-Wing is at Full Speed, and a +10 bonus if it is at All-Out while using its Primary drive.
Hull: 3D+2
Shields: 2D (Can also be used in Stealth Mode, which applies a -2D penalty to opposed Sensor rolls, but can not be used in both modes simultaneously)
Sensors:
Passive 80/2D
Scan 100/3D
Search 150/4D
Focus 8/5D
Weapons:
Fire Control Jamming Emitter
Fire Arc: All
Effect: -3D to Fire Control of all Starfighters attempting to target the ship (-1D to Capital Ships)
Self-Destruct System
Effect: Completely destroys the D-Wing, and inflicts 3D starfighter scale damage to any ships in the same SU.
Capsule:
The D-Wing is a product of the Shadow Works division of Alliance Engineering, which would eventually become part of FreiTek Incorporated after the Restoration of the Republic. Alliance High Command had need of a dedicated reconnaissance platform that could penetrate heavily defended Imperial facilities using a combination of speed and stealth. Recruiting a Verpine enclave to work with the exotic technologies necessary to make the D-Wing a reality, the result is an unusual fusion of technologies all working together to achieve the end goal of unsurpassed speed as well as extreme stealth.

To achieve that goal, Shadow Works' designers had to impose some pretty severe compromises on the design. While their previous stealth design, the R-Wing Stealth Strike Starfighter, was extremely stealthy at the expense of speed, the D-Wing was slanted heavily towards speed over stealth.

The D-Wing is visually identical to the classic Baudo-Class Staryacht. The Baudo design was selected due to the sensor dissipating nature of its basic profile. The insides of the ship, however, are a completely different creature. The ship's internal volume is almost entirely consumed by a massive stardrive, reactant for the stealth drive, and cooling for the sensor array and life support, leaving just enough room in the bow for a cockpit and a cramped living space for the ship's crew.

For security reasons, the controls of the ship are based on fluidics, rendering the D-Wing immune to ion damage. Though this means the ship does not have the maneuverability of its sister, the Baudo, it was deemed appropriate in order to ensure that enemies would not be able to render the D-Wing immobile. As a final fail-safe, a powerful self destruct mechanism was installed in the ship, ensuring that the ship can be self destructed in the event of an action where the D-Wing could fall into enemy hands.

Furthermore, a secondary drive system based on compressed gas was installed, ensuring that the D-Wing could maneuver in a 'cold' mission without attracting attention. It is its primary drive that is the most impressive, though. The D-Wing is capable of cruising at speeds that normal starfighters can only dream about. In fact, the D-Wing is without a doubt the fastest starship in known space, and her engines produce a spectacular fireworks show when she goes to full thrust. However, to achieve that result, the designers were forced to exclude any sort of armament, so the D-Wing is entirely dependent on speed and stealth to survive any sort of threat. In addition, the ship requires almost constant maintenance attention between missions, and is very expensive to maintain and operate.

Alliance Command has only a single squadron of D-Wings in service, and they are all attached directly to Fleet Command. They are considered a special mission asset, performing missions exclusively for Alliance Intelligence and High Command. Normal deployments consist of one or two D-Wings accompanied by a pair of light freighters transporting the support staff.

The D-Wing supports two modes of operation - a cold drift through a system, passively reading whatever it can before jumping out again, and a screaming hot blaze through a hostile volume of space, actively scanning everything in its path before jumping out of the system.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the rules for the secondary drive, insofar as bonuses to stealth? Is it the Baffled Drive featured in Pirates & Privateers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: