The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How to turn Trandoshans into Heroes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How to turn Trandoshans into Heroes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: How to turn Trandoshans into Heroes Reply with quote

Ok, for my upcoming game, I am mainly aiming for a cinematic feel. All of the other characters have the capacity to be 'heroic', or at least get the chance to be. I've run into some trouble, though, trying to accommodate my pair of Trandoshan bounty hunter siblings. I can somewhat limit them since they are part of a guild ("We didn't get that bounty. Just to spite those Imperials, keep the mark safe from other hunters."), but the fact that they are also Trandoshans, a species cast in the villain role almost* every time they appear! is causing me problems.

I can get away with keeping Wookies out of it; hell, it just means that I have an easy way for antagonists to be opposed by the party, use Wookies that aren't exactly stand-up guys. Plenty of those exist in WEG material. However, since their goal in life is 1) acquire Jagganeth points and 2) acquire bounty paychecks, I am having trouble, at least in my head, justifying having the pair of hunters working with pretty much anyone I want them to: smugglers, rebels, scum like that. How can I justify having them around, without saying 'Suck it up, do you want to play Star Wars or not?'

* I know about Qyzen Fess, but I'm not willing to make anyone some sort of chosen one
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most Trandoshians learn their skills as hunters from their parents. Perhaps something you can suggest is that their parents tried to instill in them a sense of honor for the hunt. That it's just as important or even more important to the scorekeeper how they get their points, not just how many points they get. Or perhaps a sense of gaining points for doing what's right and fighting against the odds: that some points are actually worth more than others.

Just an idea.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't make them "good" guys, maybe you can at least make them more dependent on the rest of the party by closing other avenues. Maybe they take a bounty on the wrong person and end up with a huge bounty on their own heads. I'm thinking someone who turns out to be one of those political appointee Imperial Moffs or something, someone who can afford an exorbitant personal bounty on the characters in addition to being wanted by the Empire. If it gets dangerous enough in the universe for your Trandoshans, they might see the wisdom in keeping what friends are available (Rebel Alliance, etc). If you actually play out the bounty-gone-wrong scenario, it might be an easier pill for them to swallow.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea, actually; I was planning to play up conflict between the Guild and the Empire. I could play up the Trando brothers' bounty gone wrong as the turning point.

In fact, that's a great idea. The kind that gives me plans, AKA the best kind.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions here already.

Let me just add that I think it's wise sometimes to sit down with the players (before you start play, or soon after) to - completely out of character and from a meta perspective - share common goals for you and for the rest of the players.

Don't be afraid to say "Perhaps you could tone down that aspect, as it's not going to mesh well with the campaign's style". There can still be a lot of personal freedom, but having a couple of characters that actually plan to be really brutal and villainous could end up being problematic, if you're going for a very heroic vibe.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a question, what the heck are Jagganeth points?
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent question: Wookiepedia says: "Jagannath points were a concept of the Trandoshan religion. Jagannath points were earned by hunters for each kill, and when they died, the Scorekeeper would tally the points to determine the hunter's place in the afterlife. To be captured alive was the greatest of humiliations, and reset a Trandoshan's lifetime score back to nothing, invalidating a lifetime's work. "

I am also allowing them to count captured bounties for points. Religious sect, or something. Maybe follow Qyzen Fess's model of Strong and Weak.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft thing wants to validate Trandoshan. Is hatchling mistake.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninjaxenomorph wrote:
Excellent question: Wookiepedia says: "Jagannath points were a concept of the Trandoshan religion. Jagannath points were earned by hunters for each kill, and when they died, the Scorekeeper would tally the points to determine the hunter's place in the afterlife. To be captured alive was the greatest of humiliations, and reset a Trandoshan's lifetime score back to nothing, invalidating a lifetime's work. "

I am also allowing them to count captured bounties for points. Religious sect, or something. Maybe follow Qyzen Fess's model of Strong and Weak.

So its just a backround 'racial' thing. Not with any actual game effects.

Got it.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Ninjaxenomorph wrote:

So its just a backround 'racial' thing. Not with any actual game effects.

Got it.

Religion! Must please Scorekeeper!
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trandoshan in my Rebellion campaign joined up with the Rebellion because he thought it would be an excellent opportunity to score Jaganath points.
Edheldun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any sort of recurring NPC that the Trandoshans are fond of and would carry emotional weight if they were captured or killed by the villain. Maybe something horrible could happen to their clan, guild, or sect leader.

Looking for revenge isn't exactly the same thing as being heroic, but it could get them on board with the rest of the party and maybe lead to some tense moments later one where players come into conflict over how to best defeat their enemy (the Trandoshans knock down anyone in their path, while the other players try to show more discretion towards innocents).
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: How to turn Trandoshans into Heroes Reply with quote

Ninjaxenomorph wrote:
Trandoshan bounty hunter siblings

I once had Wookiee bounty hunter siblings, but that was for a Bounty Hunter campaign where the PCs formed their own guild (Hunters, Inc.) so every PC was a hunter of some type.

Ninjaxenomorph wrote:
Ok, for my upcoming game, I am mainly aiming for a cinematic feel. All of the other characters have the capacity to be 'heroic', or at least get the chance to be. I've run into some trouble, though, trying to accommodate my pair of Trandoshan bounty hunter siblings. I can somewhat limit them since they are part of a guild ("We didn't get that bounty. Just to spite those Imperials, keep the mark safe from other hunters."), but the fact that they are also Trandoshans, a species cast in the villain role almost* every time they appear! is causing me problems.

I can get away with keeping Wookies out of it; hell, it just means that I have an easy way for antagonists to be opposed by the party, use Wookies that aren't exactly stand-up guys. Plenty of those exist in WEG material. However, since their goal in life is 1) acquire Jagganeth points and 2) acquire bounty paychecks, I am having trouble, at least in my head, justifying having the pair of hunters working with pretty much anyone I want them to: smugglers, rebels, scum like that. How can I justify having them around, without saying 'Suck it up, do you want to play Star Wars or not?'

What types of characters are the other players playing? Are they smugglers types now? And you eventually want to get get the group into the Rebellion and fight against the Empire? The whole scoundrel-to-hero Han-Solo Minos-Cluster-Campaign story arc? Did you talk about the campaign type when the players designed their characters? Or are you asking us for ideas before the campaign has started because you are trying to accommodate the players' first choices for character concepts? It would help if we knew a little more background about the situation.

Trandoshan Bounty Hunter would be a tough character arc for becoming a heroic Rebel. I would suggest making it clear the direction you had in mind for the campaign and ask the players what their ideas are for how their PCs could develop into heroes. If the players aren't on board with that type of campaign, then do they really want to play in your game? It has always worked best for me for the whole group to discuss the type of game the group wants to play up front, and everyone coming to agreement on the type of campaign.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an update? You started this in June, how are things going?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: