The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

2nd Edition REUP is ready for Download!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> 2nd Edition REUP is ready for Download! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: 2nd Edition REUP is ready for Download! Reply with quote

REUP can be downloaded at The D6 Holocron on the Download - G+ Community page.

Last edited by klhaviation on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations!

Look forward to seeing it.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, klhaviation. It must be nice to have finally finished such a huge project! 8)
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you put a link to the site here when it's ready?
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by klhaviation on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I just went through and saw how many of my conversions were used -- most of them directly from the text Gry and I had assembled. I'm really pleased that you thought enough of my conversion work to include it in the REUP. It even looks like a couple of my fan-made Force powers made it into the text unaltered.

Given that this is an attempt at "the new official document," it is really in many ways validating to see my work utilized in such a way.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some starships were altered, I believe the Banking clan frigate, Slave I, and a few others. A few aliens were tweaked, and the Equipment & weapons were re priced a bit here and there, but it is largely as you created them. I don't recall any "fan made" Force powers, I think they are mostly WEG, except for the Jumping and a few others, but I guess those count.

It was a huge help having those books to use the stat blocks. The flavor text altered some of the stats, but it saved months on the project. A testament to how having such a prolific community moves these projects along.

I am not sure if this document will ever be considered anywhere near "official" but if it was, your and Grys stats definitely deserve to be there. Really this project was more of an anthology of the best of the best of WEG and D6 work over the years.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a few changes here and there to a couple of them. Gry did most of the starship conversions, so I didn't look much at that. I noticed a few droid equipment conversions that were pretty much a copy and paste.

I just skimmed the Force powers. I saw that you had "up the walls" which is one that I converted from the Hero's Guide from the RCR edition of the d20 game. I had a fan made power of "Greater Force Shield" that appears to have made it. Though I'm not sure how much of the mechanics still carry over. I haven't had time to read through that section completely. The Greater Force Shield was a real big deal when we were kicking it around in the community. I think that was back in 2006 when we were trying to incorporate some of the less overpowered ideas in the EU to work in contemporary D6 games.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest "The Force" chapter was mostly the work of another guy on the team, so I haven't looked at the copy in about 4 months. I recall there was a draft that eliminated all of the "fan made" force powers, but we decided a few should be included to represent the abilities of jedi/Force users in the EU, Prequel, and Clone Wars.

You will notice 2 sources are quite often used to help develop this doc. First and foremost, Cheshire & Grys stat books. Why reinvent the wheel. We really didn't have the manpower to run our own conversions completely, so we used their work as a baseline, most of the time we liked it as was. Sometimes things were tweaked as later material became available from the Clone Wars show.

The second source was Saga Edition. A lot of copy and stat block modification came from here. Again, why reinvent the wheel. We are not trying to make our own flavor or trying to reinvent the entire genre here, we are trying to bring D6SW into the 21st century, and most of the work has been done in the WoTC editions, Saga being the latest (and best).

So you will find a lot of copy/paste stuff from those sources, but hopefully edited and crafted in such a way to better the core rules.

And if we missed some critical update to the statblocks let us know. There was sooooooo much info we have been juggling to get this thing done, a lot may have gotten messed up in the process.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I helped beta NarCranor's Clone Wars Sourcebook project when it was up and running, and since I helped Gry and Cheshire with their conversions by indicating what had already been stated in d6, I'm going to download, look through it, compile an errata file, and PM it to you when it's done.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there has been a "critical update" to any of them. There were some creative differences on a few areas of the project, and so you may find Gry and I referencing some things differently in our own games, but those creative differences were never so stark that it held up a project.

There are some things I learned later in the project that may have influenced the way I did things earlier, but never more than a pip or two, and I think I were doing things all over again I may have phrased some of the mechanics differently. But all things considered, I don't think we would go back and revise things just for the sake of a pip or two here and there. In fact, about two weeks before the last conversion book came out someone presented a mathematical formula that arguably gave a better and more consistent conversion rate. They asked if we were going to go back and re-do all the books. After running a few of their calculations it really was within a pip or two. So, the answer was no.

All in all, you've used them for the purposes they were intended. That is, "Here's a framework. If you don't like it, then change it. We're glad our work made it easy for you to come up with something you were happy with." You saw our work, you decided you could tweak things to make it more like you wanted it, and you did. Great! It makes me feel like I have a legacy.

Also, Gry's name gets mentioned a lot (because he and I did most of the converting), but also we need to give due recognition to Forceally for all the research assistance that made the books possible.

(EDIT: speak of the devil, he just so happened to post while I was writing my post. Good to see you again!)
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we really could not have done it without all of your work. And if the stat blocks you wrote, or the ones we "tweaked" do not meet to people's approval, we will note it and possibly change it. The only places we saw a bit of an anomaly is in some of the Clone War era starships, a few were very powerful, and a few have been trumped by later sources (mostly in the "cannon description" of weapons).

One thing I realized very quickly after starting this project was the massive scope. We had a ridiculous amount of material at our fingertips, most WEG stuff and some fan stuff. Not only did we have to use Optical Character Recognition software to pull text from various sources, we had to edit it, hand type a lot of it, and then decide what warranted to be entered into the document.

That was a task probably taken too lightly in the beginning. We realized that we probably added too much "fan" stuff that was over/under powered, and we were developing a collection of house rules, instead of an edition.

I can tell you this, I will support REUP in the years to come with errata and omitting/adding a few bits here and there, BUT I will NEVER start a "new" edition again. It simply too intense a process. You have to walk a very careful line, a line that is always debated by the fans. To that end we tried to use only WEG rules to keep everything as "official" as we could. But of course in some areas (like the prequel stuff) we had to use some new stuff.

I can say that without the support of many fan authors, this book would never have been made.

Of course, I have mentioned Gry and cheshire for all of their stat books and saga conversions, which have become a staple for all SWD6 fans to run any EU or Prequel campaign.

Mod Sithson, George Aranda, Stewart Warley for their work on the Dark Side GG, some of which was included in the Dark Side Rules

The Star Wars D6 Google+ community

Guardian A for his NPC sourcebook work, some of which inspired the new Clone Wars GM characters.

Sam Coulson who compiled the Holocron Holo.txt back in the late 90's. A work that while a bit whacky here and there, has inspired my gaming group, the REUP team and others to make all this stuff.

And please offer any criticism, we will be updating this doc at some point in the far future.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd Edition REUP is ready Reply with quote

klhaviation wrote:
We have completed REUP! After years of work, the first revision (more on this later) has been posted.

Cool. It's very pretty. Cheers!

It was an interesting choice to use the BLX droid for the protocol droid PC template - BLX being a 5th degree labor droid, while protocol droids are 3rd degree droids. But you did state it was a Protocol/Labor Droid model with that dual designation. I suppose it is not implausible that there could be a cross-degree dual-purpose droid such as this.

klhaviation wrote:
I can tell you this, I will support REUP in the years to come with errata and omitting/adding a few bits here and there, BUT I will NEVER start a "new" edition again. It simply too intense a process. You have to walk a very careful line, a line that is always debated by the fans. To that end we tried to use only WEG rules to keep everything as "official" as we could.

REUP seems to be appropriately named. It is an updated version of the existing game, not really a new edition. This can be a valuable tool for GMs that do want to go further and design their own edition.

klhaviation wrote:
And please offer any criticism, we will be updating this doc at some point in the far future.

After only a cursory glance, the first thing that jumped out at me is the page numbering...

It is clear that this document was designed to be printable and the pages were numbered according to a book's layout. I would love to print this out someday and make it into a physical book myself (but unfortunately it would have to be black & white because color would just be too expensive). I will likely wait until the updated revision next year to print it.

However since you asked for criticisms, a huge PDF pet peeve of mine is when the table of contents page numbers don't match the actual PDF file page numbers. That is an unnecessary inconvenience. Would you consider making a "PDF-friendly version" available with the Table of Contents page numbers altered to match their actual PDF page numbers? It would be much appreciated. The existing version could be specified as the "printer-friendly version".

klhaviation wrote:
ERRATA

...So if you see any errors, please send us an email to sw3rded@yahoo.com and we will add them to the errata list. Additionally they may be added to the errata thread on the forums at rancorpit.com.

I wasn't able to locate an errata thread here at the pit. Perhaps it would be best to create a new thread specifically for REUP Errata and designated as such?

Every source I've ever come across states that the original R&E was published in 1996, not 1997. 1996 seems to conform to my memory as well.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
wildfire
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good work have only skimmed it but I like it.

Need to check for credits but where did you find most of the artwork, some I recognise but the rest very nice.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
In fact, about two weeks before the last conversion book came out someone presented a mathematical formula that arguably gave a better and more consistent conversion rate. They asked if we were going to go back and re-do all the books. After running a few of their calculations it really was within a pip or two. So, the answer was no.

Guilty as charged! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: