The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Skill stealling force power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Skill stealling force power.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Skill stealling force power. Reply with quote

I am looking to make an NPC with the force power to steal peoples skills and knowlege. I know there is a force power that can do this but are there any d6 stats for it?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is something that the Derriphan were known to do. Though they would drain, rather than steal.

Can you tell me where you saw the power used and maybe we could come up with something?
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it on wookieepedia listed as drain knowledge.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well:

Drain Knowledge (DSS, page 15)
JAS, page 51; ToJC page 88 (as "Memory Wipe").

http://www.verminary.com/rebellion/darkside_print.html

Without checking the references - I'm at work, don't have my books within easy reference distance - I'd guess something like a Control + Sense + Alter, with

Sense to find what you're looking for

Control to copy the information to you

Alter to remove the information from the subject

Automatic Dark Side Point, modified with the vicinity table, get a +1 to any skill or knowledge per 5 rolled on the Control skill to a maximum of the 'donor', inflict a -1 to any skill or knowledge per 5 rolled on the Alter skill to a minimum of 1D, bonus drops +1 per day, penalty goes away by -1 per week.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closest thing to this is memory wipe.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks guys.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Well:

Drain Knowledge (DSS, page 15)
JAS, page 51; ToJC page 88 (as "Memory Wipe").

http://www.verminary.com/rebellion/darkside_print.html

Without checking the references - I'm at work, don't have my books within easy reference distance - I'd guess something like a Control + Sense + Alter, with

Sense to find what you're looking for

Control to copy the information to you

Alter to remove the information from the subject

Automatic Dark Side Point, modified with the vicinity table, get a +1 to any skill or knowledge per 5 rolled on the Control skill to a maximum of the 'donor', inflict a -1 to any skill or knowledge per 5 rolled on the Alter skill to a minimum of 1D, bonus drops +1 per day, penalty goes away by -1 per week.

Hows about this for a write up..

Skill mimic
Control and sense power
Control difficulty 20 + proximity + reverse relationship (its easier to copy/steal skills from someone you don't know)
Sense difficulty 15+ proximity

A force user can use this power to copy any number of skills from one target to another. If used on someone unwilling, the target gets to resist with Perception (or their sense or willpower skill) in place of the base difficulties. This also has the risk of forcing a dark side point on the user of the force power.
When used this force skill can search a targets mind for a specific skill (or skills, add +5 to each roll for each additional skill you are wanting to get) and copy them into the force user or someone else (add +10 to all skill rolls above). If the targeted skill to copy is an advanced skill add +10 to all needed target #s. Specializations can't be copied.
If going for just one skill to 'copy' or mimic. The Force user (or subject he is transferring the power to) gains 1 pip in the skill per 3 the force user rolls over the base difficulty, up to a maximum of 3d above his attribute. This phantom skill lasts for 1 game session.

A sith based version of this power exists, Skill theft, which adds an alter roll (15 + prox+ reversed relationship) that actually strips the skill from the target and pushes it to someone else.
Use of this skill is ALWAYS a dark side point, and strips the skill away in the same manner, though its +1 per 5 over the target needed, and they stay for longer, one in game week (whether that week is over multiple sessions or not) per full D of a skill stripped. Unlike copying, specializations CAN be stripped from targets which are easier to grab (-5 from the difficulty), while Advanced skills are even harder than copying (+15 difficulty).
The target loses the same number of pips permanently, but can be brought back up for 1 less CP than they would otherwise need to raise the skill.

EG. Kalus the Jenessarri is needing to work on his comrades medically, but no one in the group has first aid of sufficient skill to get everyone up from their incapacitated state. One of the imperials they captured (who is also incap) does have first aid (at 7d). So he uses Skill mimic to copy the first aid still onto himself (2d+1 base tech). His sense roll to locate the skill is a 31, sufficient to locate the first aid skill, while his Control roll to copy it is a wapping 49. The imperial rolled only a 11 for his resistance. To that is added the proximity mod (0) and relationship reversed mod (same race, met once +18) so he needs 29 to get the skill. His roll of 49 means he is 20 over the TN so he gets 6 pips (2D) taking his first aid skill to 4d+1. This is sufficient to heal his comrades up.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nods. Very nice.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes a bow. I have been known to come up with good write ups for new force powers (or in adnd, new spells and magic items)..
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, that'll work too. However, I wouldn't play a game with garhkal's writeup. Offhand, I can't think of any core rule power where a Force power can actually suck character points out of a character permanently. I think that sets a dangerous precedent, and would not in general allow that in my games.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. garhkal, how about a skill "borrowing" power instead of stealing? If you want to retain the drain from the PC, you could make it a temporary drain of skill. Even that kind of drain still seems Dark Side, but permanently draining skill that costs skill points to replenish (even at a slight discount) is harsh.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Revision.

Skill mimic
Control and sense power
Control difficulty 20 + proximity + reverse relationship (its easier to copy/steal skills from someone you don't know)
Sense difficulty 15+ proximity

A force user can use this power to copy any number of skills from one target to another. If used on someone unwilling, the target gets to resist with Perception (or their sense or willpower skill) in place of the base difficulties. This also has the risk of forcing a dark side point on the user of the force power.
When used this force skill can search a targets mind for a specific skill (or skills, add +5 to each roll for each additional skill you are wanting to get) and copy them into the force user or someone else (add +10 to all skill rolls above). If the targeted skill to copy is an advanced skill add +10 to all needed target #s. Specializations can't be copied.
If going for just one skill to 'copy' or mimic. The Force user (or subject he is transferring the power to) gains 1 pip in the skill per 3 the force user rolls over the base difficulty, up to a maximum of 3d above his attribute. This phantom skill lasts for 1 game session.

A sith based version of this power exists, Skill theft, which adds an alter roll (15 + prox+ reversed relationship) that actually strips the skill from the target and pushes it to someone else.
Use of this skill is ALWAYS a dark side point, and strips the skill away in the same manner, though its +1 per 5 over the target needed, and they stay for longer, one in game week (whether that week is over multiple sessions or not) per full D of a skill stripped. Unlike copying, specializations CAN be stripped from targets which are easier to grab (-5 from the difficulty), while Advanced skills are even harder than copying (+15 difficulty).
Those who have their skills riped like this, lose them for 1 In game week, per full 2D of the force users Alter skill. At no time will the loss be permanent.

EG. Kalus the Jenessarri is needing to work on his comrades medically, but no one in the group has first aid of sufficient skill to get everyone up from their incapacitated state. One of the imperials they captured (who is also incap) does have first aid (at 7d). So he uses Skill mimic to copy the first aid still onto himself (2d+1 base tech). His sense roll to locate the skill is a 31, sufficient to locate the first aid skill, while his Control roll to copy it is a wapping 49. The imperial rolled only a 11 for his resistance. To that is added the proximity mod (0) and relationship reversed mod (same race, met once +1Cool so he needs 29 to get the skill. His roll of 49 means he is 20 over the TN so he gets 6 pips (2D) taking his first aid skill to 4d+1. This is sufficient to heal his comrades up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: