The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Homebrew Sword and Sorcery Game using D6 Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Homebrew Sword and Sorcery Game using D6 Star Wars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Homebrew Sword and Sorcery Game using D6 Star Wars Reply with quote

Hard to discern where to put this, but one of the guys on the D6 Google Group posted that he wrote a blog entry recently. That article, called Searching for Magic is quite interesting. Essentially, he's using the SW D6 system for a homebrew Sword and Sorcery game.
Yubacore
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Dose he know that they already did that? I mean, didn't they? D6 Fantasy. I didn't see it mentioned in his post, unless I missed it.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel here.

I did bring that up to him in the thread discussion. He responded thus:

Quote:
I've read D6 Fantasy but I find it's geared toward high fantasy whereas the original Star Wars rules just scream Sword and Sorcery. While they'd be an OK reference I think it's less work to convert the Star Wars material than the D6 fantasy.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone mention the Herc & Xena rules. While the source material may be questionable the ruleset was pretty decent.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Anyone mention the Herc & Xena rules. While the source material may be questionable the ruleset was pretty decent.

Yes, that game used the D6 Legend game system which is now OGL.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

Yes, that game used the D6 Legend game system which is now OGL.

Ooh, Legend is OGL. I always though that the core die mechanic for Legend had a lot of potential. It can do some things easier than D6 standard can. I wanted to do a Legend Star Wars variant.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Care to share what the basics are of the Legend system?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

Sure.

The key thing is that the Legend system uses special dice that have two zeros and four ones. So it's a 2/3rd die!

The wild die replaces one of the zeros with a both symbol of some sort, and one of the ones with a 1+reroll symbol (so it works much like the wild die in standard D6).

Due to the strange dice, attribue and skill die codes are expressed in full dice.

Since the dice roll roll, most difficulties are lower as well. For instance difficulties are 1/2/3/4 instead of 2-5/6-10/11-15/16-20.

Often the margin of success (difference between the amount rolled and the difficulty) factors into the outcome of a contest. For example, in combat it adds to damage.

Most Legend games use body points instead of a STR roll to resist damage, but that isn't a requirement.

Because the die results are 0s and 1s, Legend plays a bit faster, since the math is easier. It also lends itself better to things like degrees of success extended tasks and such by using the margin of success. Stuff like partial parries are sort of built in.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, at. It sounds fascinating!

I like systems where your one roll impacts numerous things (like how well you did, how much time it takes, etc.)
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Thanks, at. It sounds fascinating!

I like systems where your one roll impacts numerous things (like how well you did, how much time it takes, etc.)

Me too. In fact I was working on a variant of Star Wars based on D6 Legend. The game mechaincs fixed some of the rought spots with normal D6, but had some other bugs of it's own.

I was also trying to make it player-centrtic. That is the players would make all the rolls. For instance rather than having the bad guys roll to hit, I'd just give them an average result and the PCs would have to make a dodge roll or be hit.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

I've only played a Legend game a few times and it's been many years. WEG's DC Universe RPG and the aforementioned Hercules & Xena were the only published games using the D6 Legend system. Legend is a successes-based system. There are no pips. Generally, the outcome of each die's result is translated to "success" or "failure", meaning a 1 or 2 is a failure, and each die roll result of 3, 4, 5 or 6 are counted as one success. The number of successes are added up to get your final result. The difficulty is a number of successes (so a moderate difficulty may be 3 successes). So the "bucket of dice" criticism of D6 is addressed by this simplification of the arithmetic involved. Undeniably faster paced in ways, but you lose too much gradation and detail from the game system for my taste. Adding up dice is not a problem for me and most all the players I've ever had, but there being a Star Wars Legend adaption may be a good thing as an option for people that don't play D6 because of the "bucket of dice" to add up.

The basic system of the SW LARP game was yet another ruleset simplification, but this one goes the route of stats having a static value that is added to a single die roll to get your result. I have the books but have never played this game system, and I'm not aware of WEG using it for any other setting but Star Wars.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real advance of legend is that you can tie results directly to the die totals more easily and more directly. For example and extended task can be given a total number of successes needed to complete.

But you do loose some of the graduation of the "D+".

I think the best way to eliminate the "buckets of dice" thing would be to use the EABA method. In EABA most rolls use a "best 3? method. That is you roll the dice but take only the best 3 for your result. Skill also cap off at 5D above the attribute. THat way your don't need tons of dice to accomplish things, and having more dice, while still an advantage, isn't quite so overpowering as it is in the D6 system.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I think both my players and I love rolling "buckets o' dice". That's part of what is so cool about spending a Force Point. I've even had players have to borrow a few D6s from their neighbor, they were rolling so many.

There's times where it's not even necessary to add them up, but as GM I always allow it, as part of the fun is being able to say "I got an 83" (or whatever). 8)
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At times "buckets of dice" (TM) can bog a game session down. I have a player who has some sort of compulsion to add up his dice and determine the total under any and all circumstances. He's not particular fast at it, either. He will continue working on the total even when he has past the point where the GM has told him he was successful. It's like some sort of Vampire.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
In general I think both my players and I love rolling "buckets o' dice". That's part of what is so cool about spending a Force Point. I've even had players have to borrow a few D6s from their neighbor, they were rolling so many.

There's times where it's not even necessary to add them up, but as GM I always allow it, as part of the fun is being able to say "I got an 83" (or whatever). 8)
atgxtg wrote:
At times "buckets of dice" (TM) can bog a game session down. I have a player who has some sort of compulsion to add up his dice and determine the total under any and all circumstances. He's not particular fast at it, either. He will continue working on the total even when he has past the point where the GM has told him he was successful. It's like some sort of Vampire.

I love rolling dice too! I only mentioned the "bucket of dice" because I've heard that complaint about standard D6. A decade ago I played with a girl in a few D&D campaigns and I tried to describe D6 game mechanics to her. She said, oh how confusing. Of course, she was used to just rolling a single d20 to attempt any action, and the DM would just tell her the outcome.

I guess I've been lucky enough to play Star Wars D6 with a bunch of fellow math nerds so no one is too slow at counting up the pips and bogging the game session down. Just group the dice into partial results of 5 or 10. It doesn't seem like it should be that difficult for most people.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: