The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Falling Star: Creatures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Falling Star: Creatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Falling Star: Creatures Reply with quote

Rektoo Lizard, Drone
Type: Swarming Hive Lizard
DEXTERITY: 3D
Flight:7D
PERCEPTION: 2D
STRENGTH: 0D+1
Special Abilities:
Electrical Discharge: The Rektoo lizards generate an electrical charge which they can arc and aim. (Range 2/3/4, always hits provided there is line of sight) The damage from a single Rektoo is negligible, but the more Rektoo, the stronger the pulse. For each Rektoo generating the pulse, the damage increases by 1D (reduced by 1D for each range category beyond the first) This energy pulse ignores armor, but cannot be used while the Rektoo is in flight.
Move: 1/2 (land), 200(Flying)
Size: .1 meter
Scale: Character

The Rektoo lizard drones fly with incredible speeds by way of specially adapted electric air impellers. Individual drones are sent gathering food for the hive. (Rektoo are herbivorous) Rektoo drones are basically mindless and will not attack animal life unless the hive is threatened. Rektoo drones have no sense of self preservation and will not attempt to dodge any attack. (though they will avoid obstacles)

Rektoo Lizard, Queen
Type: Hive Queen
DEXTERITY: 2D+2
Flight: 4D
PERCEPTION: 3D
STRENGTH: 1D+1
Special Abilities:
Electrical Discharge: The Rektoo lizards generate an electrical charge which they can arc and aim. (Range 2/3/4, always hits provided there is line of sight) The damage from a single Rektoo is negligible, but the more Rektoo, the stronger the pulse. For each Rektoo generating the pulse, the damage increases by 1D (reduced by 1D for each range category beyond the first) This energy pulse ignores armor. Rektoo Queens are capable of flight but significantly slower than their drones.
Move: 2 (land), 80 (Flying)
Size: .3 m

Cerulean Burrowpede
Type: Huge underground burrower
DEXTERITY: 2D
Burrowing: 3D
Bite: 4D
PERCEPTION: 1D
STRENGTH: 5D+2
Special Abilities:
Chitinous Exoskeleton: Provides Armor of +2D Physical, +1D energy against attack
Mandible Bite: Strength +2D Damage
Tremorsense: Cerulean Burrowpedes are exceptionally good at sensing vibration, but have very poor eyesight and hearing. Against targets touching the ground (Not flying, repulsorlift, etc) they gain 5D perception.
Move: 15
Size: 20 meters long

Inspired by this:

Gak
Type: Herbivorous Herdbeast
DEXTERITY: 1D
PERCEPTION: 2D
STRENGTH: 3D+1
Stamina: 6D
Special Abilities:
None.
Move: 80
Size: 7-8m at the shoulder
Orneriness: 1D
Scale: Speeder

Gak are herbivorous quadrupedal mammals that roam Silactria IV's vast planes. They are extremely docile and will rarely even act to defend themselves. They are frequently used as a means of transporting good from one part of the planet to the other, their vast bulk allowing them to haul large loads. Their great speed owes much to their vast size, allowing them to cross great distances following seasonal changes in vegetation.

(These are something half between the Mumakil and over-sized Giraffe) and will serve as transportation through parts of Silactria IV

Lonshanta
Type: Gigantic Predator
DEXTERITY: 1D
Bite: 4D+1
PERCEPTION: 1D-2
STRENGTH: 4D
Special Abilities:
Bite: Bite does Strength +1D damage (Walker Scale)
Move: 50
Size: 20m at the shoulder
Scale: Walker
The Lonshanta are thankfully a rarity on Silactria IV's plains but they do prey upon the native Gak. They are nearly totally blind and deaf but do seem to be able to prey on the Gak with some efficiency. Deliberate population control by the Igatic have paired down their numbers to under 200 worldwide.

(this one was inspired by this creature from the movie The Mist:

aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few notes from a GM's point of view.

The Rektoo provide a different sort of challenge for players. I wanted a chase scene in speeders, but wanted the enemy to be something that could keep up with them, and not have ONLY the pilot with something to do.

The Rektoo can keep pace with a speeder and the challenge isn't killing any one of them... its killing ENOUGH of them. Allow them to build up on the hull and suddenly they're lethal.

The queen I don't really expect anyone to encounter, but its really just there for completeness.

The Burrowpede is a formidable foe, but with weakness. Finding that weakness is of course up to the player's quick thinking.

The Gak is primarily because I needed an heretofore unseen beast of burden that an advanced technological race might use in place of repulsor trains. Thats part of the reason why I the Igatic have such a unique sense of categories--I wanted to get the players out in the wilderness, so a species that sometimes eschews tech in favor of 'natural' solutions is one way to do that.

And if I have a huge herbivore, I needed an even bigger predator...thus the gargantuan Lonshanta
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these critters.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do the Rektoo roll to hit?
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Range 2/3/4, always hits provided there is line of sight. Reduce damage 1D for each range category beyond point blank.

Part of the swarm idea I had with these is that my players had obtained some high damage heavy blaster pistols. These tend to have capped fire rates and limited range. This enemy definitely challenged them since they couldn't take them at range.

The first time I used them, the party was in 2 speeders, with the Rektoo pursuing 1 of them. The other speeder did a Duke's of Hazard jump over the first speeder into the swarm, killing most of them, since they couldn't kill them fast enough with blasters. (it was cool enough to warrant a dramatically appropriate moment)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds similar to the zygull our group fought.. Think a largish scorpion creature with a humanoid torso, their stingers were electroshock capable, but they at least had to make a to hit roll.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound cool, but I'm wary of using abilities that auto-hit in combat. Other than that, they seem like a fun challenge. What I might do, if I use them in my games is have them roll a Dex check +1 per creature assisting, then the +1D per creature for damage.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but there is an obvious Star Wars connection everyone (including my players) missed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is what?
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out pretty much everything on the planet (Including the Igatic) are Force sensitive to some degree or other. The Rektoo are essentially using Force Lightning. (a non-dark side variant, akin to Electric Judgement)

Evaluating the creatures the characters were unable to find any organ that might generate a shock (such as in an electric eel) but didn't make the connection with Force Lightning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: