The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FP for cp trade in
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> FP for cp trade in
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: FP for cp trade in Reply with quote

I know in the 2e base (blue cover) book, page 54, it specifies that for non force sensitive characters, since they can only bank roll up to 5 force points, any extra that they earn, must be cashed in for CP (3cp per force point). BUT in the 2e R&E book, i don't see anything mentioned on it, just the same "non force sensitives cap out at 5 force points". . No mention of whether they cash them in.

Who uses this rule?
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would, in theory- if my players ever expended FP at a rate necessary to warrant it. Wink My only reservation is that three CP seems a pretty paltry trade-in for an entire FP. (I mean, that's improving nothing higher than 3D+2 a single pip, or 'doubling' a roll of no more than 3D for a single action, where a FP could double much higher rolls for all actions and would seem to be far more valuable) To me, it would warrant at least 5, if not more, to avoid ripping a player off. To do something heroic enough to earn a new FP and then getting three measly CP for it... seems like a little bit of a rip-off.

So, I'd use it, but probably with a slightly higher exchange-rate.

Hard core OT, all the way!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would think it should be higher than 3 CP as well. Even 5 strikes me as a little bit light. Perhaps 7, or even 10.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably just ignore the max FP limitation (but than, it's quite hard to earn new FP with me).

But if I had to include trading FP in, I'd definitely go with closer to 10 CP than 3.
- Tom Lehrer

Last edited by Leon The Lion on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah- 5 at min., but I could get behind 7 or 10 easily.

Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. We are talking about points that can be used to increase skills permenantly in exchange for a FP that offer a temporary doubling of the dice pool. It sounds like a small amount but I think 5 is a fair amount. According to the Gamemaster Handbook 1 FP is equal to 5 CPs when calculating power level.
Of course, I'll have to see what happens if or when any of my non-force sensitive pcs earn a 6th FP.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the same time, it is a doubling of the pool for all rolls in a turn which is sometimes necessary for a crucial moment and also a renewable resource that can self-perpetuate. Seems to me that as a do-or-die, potentially-save-your-life kind of thing, it has some higher value than the RAW give it. To me, 5 at least is valuable because that's closer to the number of extra dice you might be able to use in a crucial task when using a FP. And in many ways- unless squandered- a FP is a permanent fixture of the character in much the same way that an improved skill is, so an equivalent number of CP (like 5, which after all can't improve any skills to a huge degree) is not uncalled for.

Above all, it seems to me that a FP is much harder to earn and rarer than 3/5/7/10 CP, and fair reward for not giving the player an earned FP means more than just a stock RAW 3 (or possibly even 5); I don't think that takes into account the function it could have in gameplay or the effort/precision required to earn it.

At least it seems like we can all come to a semi-agreement on 5. Wink

Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always felt that a 3-for-1 tradeoff for unusable FPs was exceptionally wimpy. It became an issue in my last campaign because one of the PC's was non-FS. So (because my favorite number is normally 5) I went with a 5-for-1 rate.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see that giving him a larger # of Cps to spend, or did he not really come up with a lot of excess FP needing to get turned in?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: