The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars D6 2nd Edition: Revised, Expanded, and Updated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Star Wars D6 2nd Edition: Revised, Expanded, and Updated Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a good way to do things.

As for things some people don't care for: it's each GM's call to put in whatever it is they like into (or leave out what they don't like from) their game.
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please include coversion guidelines for 1e if possible, some of us are just getting into D6 SW and have for better or worse decided to use 1e.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just throwing something out of left field... What If we only did stat blocks for the Rebellion and New Republic Eras... Essentially Episode IV through the Bantam era??? Kind of the original era for the game??? Would too many people miss their Gungans and Toydarians?
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be covering everything I cared about or would ever use. Very Happy

Hard core OT, all the way!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klhaviation wrote:
Just throwing something out of left field... What If we only did stat blocks for the Rebellion and New Republic Eras... Essentially Episode IV through the Bantam era??? Kind of the original era for the game??? Would too many people miss their Gungans and Toydarians?

I don't think you'll alienate anyone. The fact of the matter is that there are so many PDFs that have the prequel stats in them. You can't have everything unless you bloat your book to a thousand page tome. Making the editorial decision to go Rebellion and New Republic is an acceptable choice.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if anyone is bothered, you can also put out an addendum 'sourcebook'; you've taken on a massive job already- you don't need to be statting out everything that exists in the process.

klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:
You'd be covering everything I cared about or would ever use. Very Happy

Yeah, that pretty much summarizes the design team feelings about the prequel, the New Jedi Order, and beyond, we are a collective group of Bantam Era kids, raised on an overdose of Non-special ed Star Wars a la VHS, and we like our Force minimalistic, our aliens made of latex, and our Chewie. We were just planing to put in the extra crap as a nod to anyone who actually cared.

As an exception to the rule The Clone Wars has some pretty awsome stuff in it.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klhaviation wrote:
Yeah, that pretty much summarizes the design team feelings about the prequel, the New Jedi Order, and beyond, we are a collective group of Bantam Era kids, raised on an overdose of Non-special ed Star Wars a la VHS, and we like our Force minimalistic, our aliens made of latex, and our Chewie.

Amen, brother. Wink Glad to know I'm not the only one left.

aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what if I want to play a Cerean, or Kel Dor? Those species are still around.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'd rather leave out races like Ewoks, Tusken Raiders that shouldn't be wandering around the galaxy on regular basis, and instead concentrate on species that actually are more plentiful and as a matter of galactic census, going to show up in a campaign.
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty interested to see how this project comes out, sounds like a really smart idea.

I think I'm with aegisflashfire on the species thing, I'd also rather see at least a couple of the more memorable and popular Prequel movie aliens instead of the less used OT ones as mentioned above.

Xain
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we have FINALLY solidified our goals with this "3rd edition" project. It has been a very evolutionary process. This project began as a desire to simply have a searchable, and linked "ebook" of the star wars ruleset. Once we got some stuff on paper, we realized that we had the opportunity to add some of the expanded rules from other WEG products: Star Wars sourcebooks, D6 Space Opera, D6 Space, and D6 Toolkit. We decided to only use stat-blocks from the New Republic era and the Rebellion era when we started. When we played in the Prequel eras, it was always "Tales of the Jedi" or our own homebrew "Classic Era" where the clones were the "bad guys" and the Jedi were NOT monastic monks. The Prequel movies offered very little Star Wars flavor or inspiration for us to play in.

However we recognize the impact that these movies have had on culture, the Star Wars community, and gaming. Apparently some people find the films tolerable, and so it was decided that the project needed to be expanded to cover all eras. There was a lot of internal disagreement as to how to present the data, some even desiring to return to only "statting" the New Republic and rebellion era. We were also confronted with the possibility (and temptation) to alter some of the rules and create a "true 3rd edition". So after investing a year into this project we still felt we were at square-one in many ways. As we are beginning layout and art for the final proof of the first chapter of the Rulebook, we realized we HAD to bite the bullet and outline exactly how our editorial process would be conducted.

So below is presented our philosophy of what we are trying to accomplish in this project, and how we are going about selecting material to put into it.

-The working title since its inception has been "The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, Third Edition". This is being changed because we are not presenting a NEW edition, just an updated and expanded version of the existing edition. That being said we are going with the following title: "The Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Second Edition. Revised, Expanded, and Updated. We are starting to call it REUP as our shorthand amongst the dev team.

-We are going to complete this project with 2 books, a Core Book for the rules and a Sourcebook for the majority of the stats and info.

-Their are VERY, VERY few rule changes, only rule option additions and clarifications. We are making the commitment to footnote every rule change, clarification, and optional addition. Each change from 2nd ed R&E will be noted in the text.

-When we make any alterations, we are very, very, very conscientious of how it will affect play. We are making no alteration that will change any core rule or that will require conversion of any 2nd ed R&E compatible stat-block. Essentially we were very heavy handed in the addition of rules.

-We are including stat-blocks and references to all Star Wars eras. Of course this product does not conform to the "new" cannon, so it will be a "Legends" cannon work. We will have Old Republic, Rise of the Empire, Rebellion Era, New Republic, New Jedi Order, and Legacy eras included.

-This is NOT a sourcebook for all info on "how" to run campaigns and "who" the pertinent characters are. We are publishing a sourcebook indeed, but it is more a collection of creatures, aliens, and vehicles rather than a summary of pertinents found in specialized sourcebooks. There will be a summary of the history of the galaxy in the "Galaxy" chapter though. Basically we are not going to write an entire chronology and character outline, that is best left to more specialized products.

-The layout and design is being updated to better standards for ebooks (and printing if desired) we are changing the fonts to Rotis Semi-Serif for the body text, Rotis Semi-Sans for tables and stat blocks, and Bureau Agency FB Bold for headers and title bars.

-We have made the decision to complete this project layout using OpenOffice and GIMP, both free programs (OpenOffice being a wordprocessor and GIMP being a graphics editor). Why are we using "inferior" products to layout and design. Simply put we want the community to be able to make sourcebooks and ebooks using the same layout and design techniques, without making a financial investment. All graphics, and templates will be provided, and a tutorial sheet will be included as to how to make "quick and easy" documents, while maintaining the graphic standards we are using for our project. I have read a lot where people just don't know how to make .pdfs. One goal of this project is to help the "average guy" with huge inspiration to make a top-notch looking pdf using the same design we are using. This project will be completed a bit later.

-The final beta will only include rule CHANGES, CLARIFICATIONS, and ADDITIONS. We are omitting the unchanged text to save us time. These three categories are defined as follows:

CHANGE: the omission of a previous rule, with the addition of a new rule. (there are almost none of these).

CLARIFICATIONS: The adding of text to better define the parameters of an existing rule. This information is generally only derived from an existing WEG product and contains very little "personal input".

ADDITIONS: A new rule which changes no existing rule. These are generally presented as "optional"

Well thats the plan for now. Back to work.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awesome!

Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the direction you have chosen.

And as an "average guy" who has struggled with making my sourcebooks look nice, I am eagerly anticipating the templates you are talking about.

I would love to update the look of all my projects.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've made wise choices, like in choosing to call it 2 REUP rather than 3rd Edition.

And some of us more than "tolerate" the Prequels. The Classic Trilogy is still definitely my favorite, but I very much enjoy Episodes I-III, and I think far more people do than you guys are giving credit to (they were hugely successful blockbusters because in general people very much liked them). I know it's more trendy (in fanboy circles) to bash them, but be advised I have friends (and fellow RPG fans) who also like them.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I think you've made wise choices, like in choosing to call it 2 REUP rather than 3rd Edition.

And some of us more than "tolerate" the Prequels. The Classic Trilogy is still definitely my favorite, but I very much enjoy Episodes I-III, and I think far more people do than you guys are giving credit to (they were hugely successful blockbusters because in general people very much liked them). I know it's more trendy (in fanboy circles) to bash them, but be advised I have friends (and fellow RPG fans) who also like them.

well said, and dispite our "personal" distaste, we want to be inclusive of all SW material, our personal opinion is just that, an opinion, there are good qualities about the prequels, and rest assured we are giving ALL eras fair and equal treatment.

ALMOST FORGOT
our other editor Lane is working on having separate black and white ebook editions of Tatooine Manhunt and Starfall updated to 2nd ed REUP / 2nd ed R&E ready as fun bonuses for when we finally release thia beast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: