The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

monthly salary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> monthly salary Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: monthly salary Reply with quote

Anyone got any list of monthly salary in the star wars universe for various occupations like?

Pilot
Byrocrat
Doctor
Enginner
Technichan
Police

and so on

You may fire when ready
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have a set list for salaries, but a set of guidelines. Here is my checklist to begin with for determining a proper salary.

1. Job Demand. How needed is the job? How hard is it to find someone to get it done.
2. Economic state. Are employers spending money and resources freely. Is there a surplus or shortage of resources. If so, what is the surplus, what is the shortage, and does it effect payment positively or negatively.
3. Economic system. What money is used. How does the employer/employee keep track of credits. Is the barter system used? Is the barter system exclusive?

And now, my specific answers for each job.

Pilot: Usually paid an amount for each trip. I use the following table as a base.
Buying Passage:
Luxury Liner 1,000
"No Frills" Liner 500
Steerage 100
Chartered Ship 10,000
Route Multiply Cost by:
Heavily-travelled route x1
Common route x2
Rarely-travelled route x3
Uncommon route x5
"You want to go where?" x?

I than adjust by cost of ship maintainance. Sometimes this adds to what the pilot is charging, sometimes this subtracts from his pay, depending upon employer/employee situation and who is responsible for the ship.

Bureaucrat
This depends on the laws in his area.
Some bureaucrats get nothing but free room and board, transportation, and food during their service.
Some get a set salary based upon size of the area they are responsible for, such as actual area, population, or resource quantity. This can either be very miniscule, or enough to buy a Star Destroyer once a year.
Some gain their wage based upon taxes-budget. Calculate taxes by the following.
Who or what is taxed? How much?
Calculate expenses by determining what the bureaucrat is responsible to provide, and how much he chooses to spend or is charged for his plans to complete those responsibilities.

Doctor
With medical droids, the demand for sentient doctors is always low in areas where droids are available. Droids are more available in urbanized areas with denser populations. Areas with denser populations demand more medical attention, which creates a need for sentient monitoring of the increasing number of medical droids.
Doctors are usually compensated about 200% for their services than. Sometimes 2000% (like in the USA) and sometimes only 50%. They charge for medical supplies used plus labor, than.

Engineer
What is he making, how badly is it needed, how much experience does he have?
In some cases, engineers work by contract, and is paid an amount agreed upon by the client who wants the product.
In other cases, the engineer is an employee and/or works on a team, and is either paid a set amount by the employer and/or is paid a portion of the payment received from the clients.

Technician
Similar to engineer, but the largest majority of technicians receive a steady pay above what would be considered minimum wage.
Some technicians charge like doctors, payment for parts plus labor.
And like doctors, the a large number of technician duties are also taken by droids. These droids of course have a sentient owner who sets the price charged.

Police
This depends on the system by which the police are implemented. Normally higher ranking officers receive more pay.
As just how much they are paid, that depends on what is budgeted to the police force. Knowing how their economic system works and which bureaucrat is responsible for the police budget, and just what kind of budget and plan he would implement, will help you determine a payment price for the police.

There. If you have any-more, or would like specific examples, just ask.
to finance my 'vette!
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whats your idea of minimum wage is star wars universe, i be different depending on where you are. probably highest in the core world the mid rim.

Your idead are good but does anyoneone have a list of whats the "norm" for different jobbs, is there any such info in the d20 supplemets? I havent found any in my D6 supplemets.

You may fire when ready
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is such info in D20 supplements (core rulebook).

Dayly salary is about 50 cred for a workman and 250 cred for a doctor.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 credits a day sounds good as the standard minimum wage. The doctor seems slightly underpaid.

But as I said, there is no blanket answer for every salary. You can either ask for a specific example, "This pilot in this company, employed by this, for this, using this, to do this, this often, employer is in average economic condition." Or ask those questions I provided each time you need to come up with a salary.

I even made it quite clear the bureaucrat doesn't always even get a real salary.
The answers to this are so variable there just is never going to be a specific number for a general area. Specific numbers are for specific areas.
to finance my 'vette!
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if we say that minimum wage here is about $4.50 an hour (no, I don't know what it actually is), then that's only $36 a day. So 50 credits a day as minimum wage certainly wouldn't be bad in the least.

Wanted Poster
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minimum wage is $5.15 in the USA. But most employers will never pay less than $6.25. At $6.25 that is $50 dollars a day for 8 hours, the legal hours for full time.
Taxes generally lower that to 30 dollars, sometimes less.

But a credit isn't exactly a dollar. And Star Wars economy takes into account a much, much broader scope of resources and the fact that droids work unpaid.
to finance my 'vette!
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars economy is calculated according the 1977 dollars. Cut modern day prices in about half, and you have Star Wars money (5 dollars for a movie, 2000 for a used car.)

Weapons are a little different. Personal weapons tend to be on the high end, while heavy weapons, airspeeders and tanks seem to be on the low end.

Capital ships, fighters and the like seem to be all over the place. Frankly the cost of combat gear in Star Wars seems to be a little wonky.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand it, a credit is roughly equivalent to $10, and a decicred to $1. To me, that fits with what we see in the movies- Han's demadns are outrageous because he's asking for $100,000 bucks; close to buying a plane or yacht-level (hence Luke's objection). His speeder sells for about $20,000- a solid used vehicle at above-market price, but only because Obi-wan used a Mind Trick (as per the radio dramas).

So, a 50 credit a day salary would be the equivalent of $500 a day; like, $62 an hour. 250 credits a day would be like $2500; $312 an hour.

For a doctor, that sounds about right. Wink

For a day laborer who might get paid $10 an hour for an 8 hour day on Earth, that'd be $80 a day, or 8 credits a day. An average office-worker salary in the US ($31,000 a year) would be 12-13 credits a day. Seems like a pittance- but remember that everyday objects would be comparatively cheap as well. Items of 35, 50, 150, or 500 credits are high-end hardware; if you bought one of those in real life, you'd save up and it'd be more than just a day's pay, too. Smile

That's how I reckon it anyway.

On a separate-but-related topic, (and if I've brought this up on the forums before, I can't find it), my players, wanting spending cash, have begun to complain "shouldn't we be receiving a salary from the Rebel Alliance?"

My gut response is "No, you are guerilla fighters for an underfunded makeshift army of people trying to overthrow a tyranical government, they don't have the resources to pay you- or if they do, it is a pittance that goes to your cost of living. They house you on bases and take care of your meals; that's enough. You want money, go loot some enemies like you will anyway and sell the stuff, or find a sabacc table."

But I'm not sure if that's accurate. I mean, the Continental Army under Washington certainly had pay; perhaps all armies, even rag-tag freedom fighters do. I don't know. What say you all? Should rebels receive a salary- at least in any tangible amount over daily living expenses? Have you ever given them one? If so, how much- and is it based on any performance qualifiers? Should it be handed out at adventure's end like CP?

Hard core OT, all the way!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sparks we do pay based on whether they are 'freelancers' working for the rebellion, in which case its a flat 100 credits a mission. Or whether they are full on signed up rebel alliance members (in which case they do have the rebel code of conduct and such to adhere to), in where their pay is based on their rank.

You have your "Rank points" tally (which is generally equal to the CP you have earned, though some modules do give bonus rank points, and certain actions you do can take rank points away), which gives you your actual rank. Pay is generally the min rank point total needed for that 'rank' +100 credits.
Ranks go Rank point/Ground ops name/Space ops name/Tech corps name/pay
Enlisted
0-19 / Recruit / Spaceman recruit / Novice / 100
20-39 / Private / Spaceman apprentice / apprentice / 120
40-69 / PFC / Spaceman / Lead apprentice / 140
70-99 / Corporal / Petty officer 3rd class / Mechanic 3rd class / 170
100-139 / Sergeant / PO 2nd / Mechanic 2nd / 200
140-179 / Staff sergeant / PO 1st / Mechanic 1st / 240
180-219 / Sergeant 1st class / Chief petty officer / Senior mechanic / 280
220-259 / Master sergeant / Senior Chief / Master mechanic / 320
260-299 / First sergeant / Master chief / Chief mechanic / 360
300-349 / Sergeant major / Warrant officer / Junior technician / 400

Officers go
350-399 / 2nd Lieutenant / Ensign / Technician / 450
400-499 / 1st Lt / LT junior grade (LTJG) / Journeyman technician / 500
500-599 / Captain / Lieutenant / Master technician / 600
600-699 / Major / LT commander / Craftsman / 700
700-849 / Lieutenant Colonel / Commander / Journeyman craftsman / 800
850-999 / Colonel / Captain / Master craftsman / 950
1000-1249 / Brigadier General / Rear admiral (lower) / Engineer / 1100
1250-1499 / Major General / Rear admiral (upper) / Journeyman Engineer / 1350
1500-1999 / Lieutenant General / Vice admiral / Master Engineer / 1600
and 2000+ / General / Admiral / Chief engineer / 2100

So my current character, Qualen Pennik, rebel special forces command (ground ops) has 1678 for rank points, which makes me a Lieutenant general, receiving 1600 credits each mission, even if i do nothing else to earn money.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My characters (at least a few of them) have allied themselves with the Rebel Alliance. They haven't received any actual pay, but the Rebellion has occasionally provided them with gear, and often allows them to keep what they have (or trades them for what they need).
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougred4, that's what I've done- and received complaints about. Smile

garkhal, when you say "which is generally equal to the CP you have earned," do you mean cumulatively through the whole game? I.E. if you earned 5 for this mission, 5 for that one, and 7 for the most recent, your total stands at 17 and puts you near the threshold of 'promotion'?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. So say at Origins 2010, you played 5 modules, and ran 4 slots, 2 of which were to premier a new module you helped Edit.
In those 5 slots you played, you earned 2nd place RP award twice, and Third place once, the other 2 times you didn't rank (since it is based on the other player's votes).

So your CP tally would be 7 base (most modules), +1 for one slot you got 3rd place in, +2 for both the slots you got 2nd place in. That tallies up to 40cp from those. BUT one of the modules you played in garnered 2 bonus rank points for all (which helped offset the -2 RP you earned for punching out your intelligence officer).
So you are sitting at 40 rank points there.

For editing a module, you earn max cp available as if you played it and won 2nd place RP award so that gets you 9cp, and each Running of a module gains you 1. But you don't tally your Gming cp till you earn 10 total, but the editing (or authoring which gives 10cp as if you got first place), is one "Update" on its own.
So for that one convention you are sitting at 49 rank points, good enough to boost you two ranks up.

Then you hit Gencon. There you GM 8 slots (you need the compensated room and free badge), and play 5 slots. Of those 8 slots you GM, 3 are to premier a module you wrote (that the guy who wrote the one you edited, edited for you) of the other 5, 3 were already established modules, while 2 were the 2 module size interactive.

So you gain 10cp for that module itself the first slot it runs (for writing it, and you gain max + 1st place RP award, a compensation we give people for writing modules for the group). The other 7 slots you DM'ed add up to 7 more CP, since you don't earn 1cp for that slot your module first ran in. This brings your GMing tally to 11cp. BASE (your running of the interactive might get you bonus so wait!)
Post convention, you receive an email (like i have several times) where the council voted for additonal CP awards for those who DM'ed portions of the interactive, which you did both slots of, and your 'bonus' comes up to +3cp.
So you write down 10cp on an update sheet, marking each slot ran with a tick and have a council member initial it, then you start a 2nd sheet for gming up. This one has the 1 left over, + the 3 bonus from the interactive, for 4 starting on it.

The slots played, you won first place rp award twice, but didn't rank in the top 3 for the remaining slots. Unfortunately though, one of those 2 modules you got first place in, the group messed up and missed out on a few aspects, so didn't max out the 7 cp there, earning only 4 and 5 respectively.
So for those two modules your tally would be 4+3 (first place) and 5 +3 (2nd). And 7 for the other 3. Total there equates to 36.
So for Gencon, your CP total goes up 36 (rp) +10 gm +10 author for 56 more. Bringing your character up to 105.

BUT wait there is more. Sparks has rules (as mentioned in many other threads) for force hunts. One of the modules you played in, by the module's write up used the old rules for force hunts, where it was staggered (not as it currently is where if you trip it you go straight to vader showing up), and cause of that, one player tripped baddly and triggered TWO force encounter 1's.
By the rules for those encounters, the Force user who triggers it, gets 3 bonus CP if they survive it. Since the "Other PC" do not need to stand by the jedi, if they choose to do so, they gain +4CP for doing so. That's for each encounter!!! So you just earned +8 there!

But wait we are not done!.
As you made your PC up as a Non force sensitive rebel privateer, you are limited to holding onto 5 earned force points. And bonus that would take you beyond that (and this is a core rule) have to be cashed in for CP.
Quote:
If a non force sensitive character earns more than his maximum of force points, the character must trade in all extra force points for character points. A character receives 3 character points for each traded in force point
Blue book, page 54

So during the 10 modules you played so far, you gained 7 more force points for heroics at cinematic times. This would place you at 8 total (one starting out +7), but as a non force sensitive character you can only "Bank roll" 5, so the extra 3 have to be cashed into CP at the rate of 3 per. That gives you another 9 right there..

So after all is said and done, you are at a grand total of 122 character points earned, which also means 122 rank points earned! Good enough to take your Privateer to a Petty office 2nd class.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm. Definitely a system I'm considering. The only thing is, I like the idea of saving promotions in rank for special events... moments after particularly difficult or noteworthy missions, etc. (the general equivalent of the ANH rewards ceremony at a smaller scale, for deeds that tend to be smaller scale than destroying an entire Death Star Smile )- rather than just having them be based on CP accumulation. to one degree, that can equal performance on missions and missions completed, but when good roleplaying rewards are factored in, I don't think the two necessarily correlate.

Do you think the pay-scale advancement part of the system works independently of the rank-advancement portion- with, perhaps, the accumulation of RP still serving as a good prompt to analyze the characters' in-game actions and see if they may indeed be due for a promotion after the next big event?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really as it kinda mirror's time in rate for military forces as is. Minus the need for evaluations, testing and potential boards..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: