The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ever had a player peeved off for losing gear?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Ever had a player peeved off for losing gear? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever had a player peeved off for losing gear? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My next campaign will begin in media res where all the PCs are captured and on the verge of being executed by a gangster, with no weapons, equipment or credits - nothing other than the clothes on their backs. (After they get out of that, the basic equipment and weapons they need for the adventure will be provided for them.)

This reminds me of the first RPG I got into, which was TSR's Top Secret. I just ran this game a little over a week ago (for a con), but my experience with the game was back when it was a staple of ours in the early 80's.

In Top Secret, you start the game with $400 and nothing else (IIRC). You then go about purchasing everything from the clothes you'll wear to any spy gadgets you want, but you have to spend a large chunk of that on a gun and ammunition.

So it became a running gag among Top Secret players (or maybe it was mentioned in a Dragon magazine article), that starting PCs began the game/campaign being rolled out of a car onto a street corner, completely buck naked, clutching 400 bucks in one fist.

Your starting premise reminded me of that. Laughing
gavin storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are peoples views on GMs going out of thier way to seriously kriff up someones character? Simply because they can, more than anything the player did.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's messed up
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what "kriff up" means, but if it's generally messing with their character, then I'm completely opposed to it. My goal and intentions as GM is to make sure you have the most fun as possible, as we adventure in the Star Wars universe. Doing something like this is the exact opposite of what I/we are trying to accomplish.
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a new player join my group a few weeks ago.

He and another Pc were breaking into a Garage owned by the Hutt Cartel to steal a Cloud Car that was being prepared for a race on Cloud City that the PCs were participating in. He was caught, and during the ensuing struggle he threw his combat knife at one of the Gangsters and missed as he was trying to escape down a hallway.

He got captured along the way and the Hutt Gangster's naturally took his gear when they took him prisoner. The Hutts gangsters confiscated the PCs gear while he was unconscious and used his encrypted comlink to contact the rest of the party and hold him for ransom.

The other PCs came back and mounted a rescue operation and saved him, but the gangsters didn't bother picking up his measly 25 credit combat knife, so he didn't get his knife back.

He wanted that knife back so badly that he went back to look for it rather than buy a new one... alone...

Naturally he got captured by the same Hutt gang again and this time they tortured him, and the PCs had to rescue him a second time. After they rescued him, he felt it was worth it because he got his knife back. So after seeing how ungrateful he was after the 2nd rescue the party decided to never go back save him again if something else happened to him.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did they know he was captured a 2nd time? And didn't the Hutt beaf up security after the first rescue?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's crazy and pretty irrational, strongarm! Laughing
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He told everyone he was going back, everyone told him not to go, and then they heard his tortured screams when they began to torture him.

He's fortunate that the campaign has been going on as long as it had. I was 9 months into the campaign at the time. One of the PCs Bounty Hunter that had been there since the beginning and had accumulated enough gear and character points to give Boba Fett a run for his money. Between him and the Mercenary that joined up the session before, they cleared out Hutt's goons and murdered the Hutt.

The PCs employed stealth, effective use of G-20 Glop Grenades, and military tactics to sweep the room and assassinate the Hutt. The PC was unconscious again when he was rescued. They told his character that they couldn't find his credits anywhere, but in fact kept what was left of his money as compensation for saving his @$$. I allowed it because given the circumstances it was more than fair.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the other hutts swear out bounties on this group for that?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: PC gear Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
So it became a running gag among Top Secret players (or maybe it was mentioned in a Dragon magazine article), that starting PCs began the game/campaign being rolled out of a car onto a street corner, completely buck naked, clutching 400 bucks in one fist.

Your starting premise reminded me of that. Laughing

Kinda, except they'll have no credits and literally be about to "walk the plank" on Dac with sea monsters circling in the waters below them. And the plot of the adventure will not provide any opportunity for a shopping sequence to stock PC equipment lists. Star Wars is not dungeon crawl and most adventures will not have PCs exploring the wilderness by foot or steed. You shouldn't need much more than a good blaster at your side.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its coming.

The party has gained plenty of enemies now.

The force user in the party is being blackmailed by an Inquisitor who is holding his family hostage until the party can bring him a Large Corsica gem the size of a man's fist that they just managed to steal in a heist last session. There is a good chance that PC is going to fall to the Darkside very soon. Also Corsica gems are highly illegal to own as they can be used as lightsaber crystals.

Cloud City security have placed a Bounty on two of the PC's heads after they were positively ID'd as being part of the heist.

Then of course there is the dead Hutt.

There was also this whole auction going on to bid on the Jewel that they had to steal. They got bidding up to 375,000 Credits. They actually pulled off two heist in the same night, so not only did they steal the Jewel, but they also stole the winning bid for the Jewel. So of course the Imperial Noble who is being crushed by his own debts now doesn't Jewel or the money so now he's a potential.

Also one of the bidders for the Jewel was a freaking ISB agent attempting to gather evidence to convict the Noble. She actually uncovered the PCs' intentions to steal the Jewel. She actually didn't care what happened to it as long as she got the evidence she needed to convict the Noble, so she worked with the PCs to help make the bidding really high, so she could use the financial transactions to prove Noble's guilt. However, the money never hit the Noble's account because the PC's rerouted the transaction to an off planet account that they have access to. So they've crossed an ISB agent as well.

There was also Jedi attempting to steal the same Jewel at the same time they party was trying to. She needed to cut the jewel to replace the failing lightsaber crystal in her own lightsaber. They incapacitated her, but she got away.

Also one of the my PCs assassinated one of the people Bidding on the Jewel that they stole, and a different PC disguised himself as that person and impersonated him during the auction. Naturally, there could be repercussions there, especially since the ISB agent discovered the body and knows the PC's identities.

So yeah, the Hutt's are definitely going to swear some bounties out on the group in retaliation for what happened, but to be perfectly honest, it almost seems like the least of their worries in the grand scheme of things.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no wonder you feel the jedi in the group is ripe for switching to the dark side, if he is associating with such scoundrels.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the current campaign I'm running, I solved the equipment drama with a simple premise: arrest them.

They're fringers already, might as well give them an event to bring them together. Jail works. They were busted out by Rebel agents and recruited...but they didn't get their starting equipment back. They were assigned weapons and blast vests.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works when done as a starting premise for a new game/group. BUT often when i try it in game, i get 'daggers shot' my way by glances, if they perma lose their gear.
gavin storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With so many Imperials wanting the crystal, you would wonder why the inquisitor wouldn't get it through them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: