The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Species: Igatic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> New Species: Igatic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: New Species: Igatic Reply with quote

http://swagonline.net/image/igatic

Casca1967 over at Star Wars Artists Guild took my crappy drawings of the Igatic and ran with it. Wow.

I'll post a partial stat block later when I have a little more time.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnotoad?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a cross breed of Aboleth (ADND) and giant toads.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Seems like a cross breed of Aboleth (ADND) and giant toads.

I'm getting more Slaadi vibes from that than giant toad, but otherwise I think you're bang on.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a couple of things.
A) I'm very visual so I prefer to give players pictures of NPC's whenever possible. I needed some way of providing a large number of Images to the PC's and I'm just OCD enough to want all the pictures to be of similar quality. Given the number of 'named' NPC's on Silactria, I needed a way to generate a number of images, similar quality, but that can be easily linked to different characters & personalities.

Obviously drawing them myself would be a bad idea, and I don't have huge amounts of time to photoshop characters from other photos beyond quick color swaps & Crops. So the NPC 'base' image has to be something that plays well.

What I found was I could take photos of frogs as 'headshots' and color swap them. There is enough variety in features among frogs that they can look like more than just a color-swap, and have their own personalities.

B) Second, there is a long history of Star Wars aliens being based loosely on Earth creatures or inspired by them. Gamorrean's are pigs. Wookiees are shaggy dogs, Chevin are based on an Elephant (heck, even the name "Ephant Mon") Quarren are squids, Aqualish are walruses, Ranat are rats, Chadra Fan are Bats, etc etc.)

Journeyman Transporter Bloiaoiblo

Defense Minister ForeeForeep

Master Singer Legloth

Master Trainer Lealthol

Prime Minister Maelgorriethon

High Singer Metonika

Internal Affairs Minister OoothRouthl

aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igatic
Home Planet: Silactria IV

Attribute Dice: 13D
DEXTERITY 1D/4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D/4D
MECHANICAL 2D/4D
PERCEPTION 2D/4D
STRENGTH 3D/6D
TECHNICAL 2D/4D

Special Abilities:
Limited Mobility: Igatic only roll half their skill/attribute dice (round down) when attempting any Dexterity roll that involves the whole body. (Dodge, Acrobatics, Running, Melee Combat, Lightsaber, Melee Parry)

Fire & Heat Vulnerability: As amphibians, Igatic are particularly vulnerable to fire & heat. +1D damage from fire and heat sources (Including blasters, grenades and thermal detonators)

Singing: Singing is integral to Igatic culture. All Igatic receive +1D to Knowledge skill Artist:Singing for free upon character creation. This bonus may allow the Igatic to exceed the +2D cap on starting skills.

Story Factors:
The Igatic prefer things to be of one place or another. Perhaps it is their amphibian nature, growing up underwater and moving to land as adults, but multi-function devices, ships, even environments are generally shunned. No one would hold two different jobs or plant a tree in a city.

Move: 5/7
Size: up to 2.4m tall, up to 4m long; 600kgs

Last edited by aegisflashfire on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done, aegisflashfire! Like you, I'm a little OCD (I like to call it CDO, putting the letters in the proper alphabetical order!) Laughing

Your description reminds me of what I did with the weasel-like Sessehshellah (from the 1E rules, of which there are no images). I was able to find some cool art online that I used for them, and I came up with about five different ones (all by the same artist, so similar in style) to represent unique individuals.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why so high a strength? And for singing, its Profession:singing, which is a knowledge skill, not perception.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primarily because they're the size of a small car.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right it's a Knowledge skill, but its technically Artist: Singing. Took some digging to find it, but it is listed in the Special Edition sourcebook as such.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aegisflashfire wrote:
Primarily because they're the size of a small car.

There are other creatures in the books that are large, but don't have a high strength.

Take the Besalisk for instance, who have just 1 pip more str max than human norm. or the bosph.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) the Besalisk first appeared in Attack of the Clones, and thus never appeared in any official WEG material. Any Besalisk stats are purely fan conversions of Wizards stats.
b) Besalisk are less than a fourth the mass of a full grown Igatic.
c) The Bosph height range is 1-1.7meters. Thats actually shorter than humans.

A better comparison might be the Herglic who are slightly shorter but only half the length.

It really doesn't matter. The Igatic are not intended to be a PC species, so I'm not that worried about trying to make them balanced.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cause you don't intend them to be one, does not mean players wont push to be them.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty good at pronouncing the word "no" Wink
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated with information my players found out

Species: Igatic
Home Planet: Silactria IV

Attribute Dice: 13D
DEXTERITY 1D/4D
KNOWLEDGE 2D/4D
MECHANICAL 2D/4D
PERCEPTION 2D/4D
STRENGTH 3D/6D
TECHNICAL 2D/4D

Special Abilities:
Limited Mobility: Igatic only roll half their skill/attribute dice (round down) when attempting any Dexterity roll that involves the whole body. (Dodge, Acrobatics, Running, Melee Combat, Lightsaber, Melee Parry)

Fire & Heat Vulnerability: As amphibians, Igatic are particularly vulnerable to fire & heat. +1D damage from fire and heat sources (Including blasters, grenades and thermal detonators)

Singing: Singing is integral to Igatic culture. All Igatic receive +1D to Knowledge skill Artist:Singing for free upon character creation. This bonus may allow the Igatic to exceed the +2D cap on starting skills.

Force Sensitive: Yes
Story Factors:
The Igatic prefer things to be of one place or another. Perhaps it is their amphibian nature, growing up underwater and moving to land as adults, but multi-function devices, ships, even environments are generally shunned. No one would hold two different jobs or plant a tree in a city.

Move: 5/7
Size: up to 2.4m tall, up to 4m long; 600kgs

Igatic Society: Igatic society is uses a complex apprenticeship system. Individuals, after leaving the water at the start of adolescence (at approximately 8 years of age) and by age 16 they typically are attached to a particular career path. All careers follow a similar apprenticeship program where they start out as Novices, then are elevated to Apprentice rank, followed by Journeyman, and then simply titled after their position. (A Journeyman Transporter is promoted to Transporter). This is typically the end point of most Igatic in the career though gifted individuals may rise to the rank of Master. The single highest Igatic in any trade is the High Master of that particular trade. Typically one can be elevated to the next rank by either an individual two levels above you, 3 individuals 1 rank above you, or 50 individuals of the same rank. To elevated to High Master, one must be appointed by the majority of individuals of the Master rank.

Note that position in trade Heirarchy is not equivilant to job. A person may be a Journeyman Administrator could hold an elected position as Prime Minister, or a Master Warrior could be the equivilant of a Sergeant in the military.

The Song: The Igatic are almost universally Force Sensitive to some degree or another. They perceive the Force as an ongoing song full of ebbs and flows, creshendos, sharps and flats. (Only very rare individuals are not force sensitive and are typically referred to as "Deaf") While as a whole their species can perceive the force to some degree or another only a limited number a truly significant ability to manipulate it beyond some basic skills. (The rate of full on Force users only slightly higher than that of the general population of the galaxy) Typically those individuals are encouraged to take careers dealing with life in some way or another. Either as healers or biologists or animal handlers.
The truely gifted indidviduals are named Singer.

Singers: Thoughout Igatic history there have always been the Singers. What the rest of the Galaxy would term Jedi, these are Force users with abilities far in excess of the rest of the population. They can hear the Song with great clarity, manipulate it, shift it and change it to produce all the same effects that other Force users are able to.
The Singers hold an honored place in Igatic society, just as the Jedi did among the Republic. They are healers, teachers, mediators and warriors of great skill.
The Singers claim the right to change any individual's career path based on what they perceive as the notes that individual sings and how they would best fit into the song. These changes are rare but are nearly always honored. (This started so the Singers could claim Force Gifted individuals into their own number)

Force Path: The Song
The Igatic view the flow of energy of the Force as a Song; an undercurrent to all life. Because it more closely follows existing senses (as opposed to Jedi and the like's perception of 'energy flow' --not tied to one of the traditional 6 senses) it has the following advantages & disadvantages:
Sense: Practitioners of The Song have all Sense related difficulties reduced one level. (to a minimum of Very Easy (3))
Vocalizations: Practitioners of The Song must sing (or hum, whistle, etc) whenever using any force ability, or the difficulty is increased 2 steps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: