The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

'Deadliest Catch' SW style
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> 'Deadliest Catch' SW style Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: 'Deadliest Catch' SW style Reply with quote

I�m not sure where to hang this so I guess this is as good as any place �

I�m watching one of my favorite shows �Deadliest Catch� and was wondering what kind of job would fit that type of job in the Star Wars universe?

It might sound farfetched, but I don�t think it is too far off. Guys risking their life in decrepit ships that are cobbled together. That sounds like almost every scene in SW �

However, what specific job would they be doing in SW? Would it be some type of asteroid mining? Is it mining from various gas giants?

An idea that just pop up, could it be mining nebulas for ionized hydrogen (or some other elemental gas or compound). The higher the ionization (and associated energy) the more danger in collecting it and storing it. It might fit. You could have collector pots that the ship drops in an area, the pot does a controlled grid flight, then the ship has to come back and collect it, without igniting the hydrogen or other surrounding gasses.

What do you all think?

Oh yeah, it goes without saying that the ideas don�t have to be tooooo in-depth. Just something to have back ground goings on to flesh out the universe

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark matter mining?

I know some of the prequel capital ships use dark matter reactors, so dark matter mining could parallel the modern oil drilling industry, with deep space platforms harvesting dark matter...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An idea that just pop up, could it be mining nebulas for ionized hydrogen

Ok, I know its space opera not Sci Fi, but .... really?

Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe (about 70% of all elemental matter in the universe is hydrodgen, and the next most common element is helium.

Hydrogen is ionized by the adding of a tiny bit of energy. There would never be a need to mine it from a dangerous location. Sea water would be an easy source. Heck, just scooping a gas giant would be easy too... or anything else. No need to travel to some nebula to do it
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about instead of a mini-rant, try constructively suggesting another kind of ionized gas?

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
How about instead of a mini-rant, try constructively suggesting another kind of ionized gas?

Careful now people. Everyone be respectful.

crmcneill: aegis is new, please keep that in mind when he posts and you respond.

aegisflashfire: you are new, this is a forum and an active community. I understand your frustration, but keep mind we are talking a pulpy, space opera setting so logic rarely is taken into account. Please take a moment to review your posts before hitting submit if you are discussing something you have very strong feelings about and be sure its what and how you want to post your ideas and responses.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that qualifies as a mini-rant. Just giving you the scientific reasoning why that probably isn't the best choice for mining operation.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crm

Thanks for the idea on 'dark matter' . Tie it into being only found in 'minable' amounts in and around dark nebula, a high gravity well - a white dwarf or a black hole, … you'd have a reliably rare but dangerous location. Yeah that might work.

Aegis

I take no offense at your post. I'll be the first to admit my weaknesses. One of which is thinking outside the box in a creative 'space opera' way. That is why I hung this originally, to get more creative minds throwing out ideas that I could steal!

Is 'ionized hydrogen' unimaginative … maybe. You could story line it as being a 'ozone' type formation of hydrogen, or 'super ionized' to levels that you couldn't affordably reach in a lab/factory. etc etc etc.

That said, what else could there be to fit the feel of the job floating around out there in the wide Star Wars universe other than my idea.

As I said, I don't take offense, but as SWR pointed out, there are people around here that take their favorite space opera game seriously and can/do get their feathers ruffled over a post that starts out with "but ... really…" .

Forgive all spelling errors.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Thanks for the idea on 'dark matter' . Tie it into being only found in 'minable' amounts in and around dark nebula, a high gravity well - a white dwarf or a black hole, … you'd have a reliably rare but dangerous location. Yeah that might work.

Currently, dark matter is a hypothetical term to account for astronomical effects that "appear to be the result of mass where no mass can be seen". My explanation for this (for the purposes of the SWU) is that dark matter actually is in hyperspace, but just as objects in realspace have a mass-shadow in hyperspace, the same is true of objects in hyperspace, in that they have a mass shadow in realspace, thus dark matter. EDIT: What form this matter takes is unknown, but considering the context, I picture a sludgy black liquid, much like crude oil...

I picture hyperspace drilling platforms generating hyperspace wormholes to siphon the dark matter out of hyperspace into realspace. Considering the established nature of hyperspace (in that any physical object exposed to its energies is disintegrated almost instantly, per the Han Solo trilogy novels), it's likely that dark matter would be similarly affected by contact with realspace. It could actually be the SWU equivalent of anti-matter, with the physical combination of dark matter with matter from realspace generating an explosive reaction to generate massive amounts of energy, much like the anti-matter reactors aboard Star Trek ships.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Assuran
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though canon wise, it's been only found on Makeb, I think http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Isotope-5 might work.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea! I like the idea of dark matter, which I've heard makes up the majority of our universe (though of course we still don't understand much about it). I was going to suggest going with an antimatter concept, but see that crmcneill beat me to it!

BTW, welcome to the Pit, Assuran!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be an opening for bringing aliens or monsters across from hyperspace into realspace...

Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I'd go literal and have them harvest Mynocks or Space Slugs or something.

I'm not the biggest, deadliest, catchiest Deadliest Catch fan, but part of the romance is Man Vs. Nature, and part is Man Vs. Beast.

Actually, I think that could be a ton of fun. Mostly because, unlike hydrogen or dark matter, the animals themselves have a mind and a temperament and a will of their own, and therefore can cause aggravating complications. I don't picture myself being mad at hydrogen for f*ing up a salvage.

Off the top of my head? A new breed of Mynock that is a little nastier, maybe a little like the xenomorphs from Aliens (at least in their hardiness and tenacity), and that breed of Mynock - being very difficult to catch - is a supreme delicacy on some worlds. They lay their eggs in derelict ships, so there's a lot of "shipwreck salvage" going on.

The fringers who harvest the Mynocks could also be licensed salvagers, and so are looking to make a quick quatloo salvaging and selling ship parts. That, plus the unknown reason that each ship was destroyed or abandoned (possibly still in the area, circling...) sets the stage for some great adventures. And the occasional ship that's a little too far inside an asteroid collision, or gravity well, or ion storm...

I dunno, maybe I'll even try this myself.

My 2 credits.
Assuran
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're clinging close to the actual premise of the show, why not have them harvesting something like:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Colossus_wasp

Or, if you don't like that, there's a whole list of other possibilities here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Space-borne_creatures

edit: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Miner%27s_horror in particular might work as there were sponsored hunts for it.

Last edited by Assuran on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ there ya go, beat to the punch. Good on ya!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't really a direct parallel to Deadliest Catch, as there isn't much in the way of space-borne lifeforms that are common food products. The closest parallel would be harvesting them for some exotic mineral or such...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: