The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Breaking Up Melee Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Breaking Up Melee Combat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
garhkal wrote:

True, shooting a desert eagle or magnum 44 is not going to put you on your butt. But in the case mentioned it was a mosberg 12 gauge shotgun she was shooting..

Please let me live with the fantasy that someone stopped her before she got to the actual "shooting" part of shooting.

Nope. She was cross rating from YN to MA, and was doing her shooting qualifications as part of the cross over. When she lost grip on the shotgun it not only knocked her on her butt, but flew backwards almost hitting the range master in the face. Since that was her 2nd infraction of range rules in 2 days (the first was she fired off 3 more rounds AFTER the range master had called for a cease fire while shooting the 9mm pistol), it caused her @$$ to be disqualified from the range period, and almost got her Captain's masted. Needless to say her chance of cross rating was officially done. She had to go back to admin!

But what made me laugh, though she was small in stature (5ft 3, around 120lb), she was NOT the smallest female i have seen firing guns on a range.. And Those others handled themselves well!
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

True, shooting a desert eagle or magnum 44 is not going to put you on your butt. But in the case mentioned it was a mosberg 12 gauge shotgun she was shooting..

Still can't do it. Gun people bring this stuff up a a lot, but it's simple physics.

Now if the girl was off balance, or reacted badly, then she might get knocked off balance, but that is more her own fault than because of the weapon. Weapons that go flying are signs that the weren't being held or braced properly.

Even with the big guns knocking the shooter on the butt is not because of the gun, but poor technique. And even there your much more likely to get your shoulder broken or dislocated.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be more realistic to break up melee weapons based on the technique, so that weapon that are optimized for speed are in one category, weapons optimized for power are in a second, and more balanced weapons that use relatively equal amounts of speed and power are in the third? How that would break down, I have no idea, but I'd like to hear your thoughts...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most RPGs that do this tend to lump similar weapons together, such as 1H sword, 2H sword, 1H club, 2H spear and so on.

Just wondering but have you given any thought to Melee Parry? Are you going to break that up too, or are you going to lump attack and defenses into the same skill?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Just wondering but have you given any thought to Melee Parry? Are you going to break that up too, or are you going to lump attack and defenses into the same skill?

Did that a long time ago, along with moving Brawling to Dex (damage still Str based) and getting rid of Brawling Parry.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if one was running a crunchier, more tactical game then this line of reasoning would make perfect sense. Though as it is, I don't see a terribly good reason to start getting into this level of detail in what was intended to be a cinematic game. SAGA does this with different types of ranged weapons, though strangely they never did this with melee weapons. Perhaps its because "simple weapons" or melee weapons are less utilized in a space opera game.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I think if one was running a crunchier, more tactical game then this line of reasoning would make perfect sense. Though as it is, I don't see a terribly good reason to start getting into this level of detail in what was intended to be a cinematic game. SAGA does this with different types of ranged weapons, though strangely they never did this with melee weapons. Perhaps its because "simple weapons" or melee weapons are less utilized in a space opera game.

Yeah. If I were using D6 for an fantasy setting, I'd probably want to break up the melee weapons more. But since Star Wars is Sci Fi the skill isn't as important.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

Did that a long time ago, along with moving Brawling to Dex (damage still Str based) and getting rid of Brawling Parry.

So you changed it up by lumping them together, now you want to separate them into different skills based on weapon type rather than how the RAW had things.. Man you are strange.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we should start up a new forum category called Personal Attacks since there is so much of that going on here lately.

The idea here is that a person trained with a weapon will be trained to both attack and defend with it (hence combining Melee Combat with Melee Parry), but that the various available kinds of Melee Weapons is a sufficiently broad category (i.e. A knife is not a spear is not a whip) that it should be broken into smaller categories representing similar skill sets, rather than one skill representing the ability to wield all types of Melee Weapons, no matter how exotic (except lightsabers, which obviously bear no resemblance whatsoever to swords).

At this point, I'm leaning more towards Tupteq's idea from page 1, keeping Melee Combat as one skill but requiring proficiencies for exotic weapons.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment of "you are strange" was not a personal attack, but an observation. Sorry if it came across that way.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
My comment of "you are strange" was not a personal attack, but an observation. Sorry if it came across that way.

No problem. Things have been sufficiently acrimonious around here lately that I'm probably a little more sensitive than I would be otherwise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: