The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Chadra-Fan Speaking Astromech Droid?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Chadra-Fan Speaking Astromech Droid?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Chadra-Fan Speaking Astromech Droid? Reply with quote

Request for opinion: Would Chadra-Fan vocal cords have sufficient range that they could learn to "speak" (as well as understand) the droid language commonly used by astromechs, or at least approximate it well enough that a droid could understand it and they could carry on a conversation? ("Binary," "droidspeak," "Babno," or whatever one wishes to call it depending on what level of canon one prefers.. I'm just going to call it "astromech droid" for purposes of the question and because that's how it's referred to in the game books.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are few races imo which have the vocal capacity for droid speak. Chandra fan imo are not one of them.
Gadora
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I agree with garhkal. I would, however, like to point that there exists a pretty simple device to allow pretty much anyone to manage this, though.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could always use a datapad with a speaker and a binary translation program...
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really following this as it seems to me from the movies that droids already understand galactic basic.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question came up in regards to a Chadra-Fan tech character, along with the observation that Chadra-Fan speak in a combination of squeaks, whistles and chirps (along with pheromones being part of their language, making it difficult for most who aren't of that species to translate it with more than marginal accuracy.) Yes, most droids are programmed to understand Basic, and one can use elaborate sets of pipes to approximate "astromech droid" (though this would probably be more of a curiosity practiced as a hobby by very few people who work constantly with droids.) Chadra-Fan can also learn to speak Basic, though it sounds quite odd when spoken by them. (Unlike wookiees their vocal apparatus can make the right sounds, given enough practice.)

The player has given the character Languages: Astromech Droid, meaning he does understand it fluently and doesn't have to make any rolls to do so (per rules.) I'm going to make the determination that, while he can't actually vocalize true Astromech, he can approximate it well enough in a sort of pidgin that a droid which is used to being around him can understand what he's saying well enough. (As a character trait, he doesn't like speaking Basic because he finds it uncomfortable and awkward.)

Another quirk of this particular character is that he's a bit of a social outcast among his own species. His practical mindset when it comes to machines is considered borderline pathological by other Chadra-Fan, even though it's considered sensible by members of most other races.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any player wanted to spend the CP to get 5D in Languages: Droidspeak, I'd just let them, and assume they are one of the rare individuals who can whistle and warble enough that the droids can understand them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:
The question came up in regards to a Chadra-Fan tech character, along with the observation that Chadra-Fan speak in a combination of squeaks, whistles and chirps (along with pheromones being part of their language, making it difficult for most who aren't of that species to translate it with more than marginal accuracy.) Yes, most droids are programmed to understand Basic, and one can use elaborate sets of pipes to approximate "astromech droid" (though this would probably be more of a curiosity practiced as a hobby by very few people who work constantly with droids.) Chadra-Fan can also learn to speak Basic, though it sounds quite odd when spoken by them. (Unlike wookiees their vocal apparatus can make the right sounds, given enough practice.)

The player has given the character Languages: Astromech Droid, meaning he does understand it fluently and doesn't have to make any rolls to do so (per rules.) I'm going to make the determination that, while he can't actually vocalize true Astromech, he can approximate it well enough in a sort of pidgin that a droid which is used to being around him can understand what he's saying well enough. (As a character trait, he doesn't like speaking Basic because he finds it uncomfortable and awkward.)

Another quirk of this particular character is that he's a bit of a social outcast among his own species. His practical mindset when it comes to machines is considered borderline pathological by other Chadra-Fan, even though it's considered sensible by members of most other races.

Sounds like a good concept, though i do hope he realizes his dislike of speaking basic might hurt him in game.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:

I think this is reasonable and I would allow it if a character wanted to do this. Of all of the various Star Wars races, the fact Chadra-Fans use lots of squeaks and odd sounds seem to make them an ideal race for something like this, IMV. The amount of effort this player seems to have devoted to this (as well as his reasoning) would be all the more reason for me to be inclined to work with them and help them accomplish what they're trying for.
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Sounds like a good concept, though i do hope he realizes his dislike of speaking basic might hurt him in game.

These folks are just hardcore role players, and have been known to take on minor disadvantages like this just because they envision their character in a certain way and that's part of how they see them. People sometimes just come up with mild phobias, social quirks, odd religious aversions and eccentric habits to go with colorful backgrounds to make their characters more interesting.

DougRed4 wrote:
I think this is reasonable and I would allow it if a character wanted to do this. Of all of the various Star Wars races, the fact Chadra-Fans use lots of squeaks and odd sounds seem to make them an ideal race for something like this, IMV. The amount of effort this player seems to have devoted to this (as well as his reasoning) would be all the more reason for me to be inclined to work with them and help them accomplish what they're trying for.

That's pretty much what I figure. Listening carefully during the films, MSE droids seem to "speak" a very squeaky version of Binary/droidspeak, probably because they were designed by Chadra-Fan. Upon meeting a new droid, if he can get them not to run away (droids are often deathly afraid of Chadra-Fan,) the droid might not immediately realize that he's attempting to speak Binary.. but once they do they'll be able to understand him.

The irony is that his native language is one of very few which protocol droids have a serious problem with, unless they've been outfitted with specialized olfactory receptors.

For amusement value, an example of Chadra-Fan (the language) being spoken aloud (skip to 3:10): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjCFt3ML01c (I would have to guess the fact that the character is a Jedi is the reason why she seems to be able to understand him so well.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: