The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Character templates?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Character templates? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know in my game I have combined, moved, renamed and so my skills to better reflect how I see them. As someone already pointed some people combine Brawling and Brawling Parry, which is something I do along with Melee. Melee Combat (DEX) and Brawling (STR).
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
garhkal wrote:
It also makes me laugh they gave the template brawl, but not brawl parry (dex)..

That, I suspect, depends solely on who posted it; some people don't like having a separate skill for it. They figure if you know how to fight, you know how to counter as well. While it's not a given, I agree that if you've had any kind of real training (which is often times denoted by a specialization in Martial Arts), you've been taught defensive techniques as well as offensive. Plus, it frees up room on your CS to put another skill (which is only really important for those using a small CS or a format where the GM only includes skills on your sheet into which you've dumped dice).

For house games that may be, but we are talking about a base book template.

Going through the list, the Urban spec has both melee and melee parry, brawl but no brawl parry. The Pathfinder has brawl but no brawl parry. The wilderness spec has both melee and brawl but no melee or brawl parry, the infiltrator has all 4 same with the space ops trooper. The HWS has just brawl. while the procurement and interrogator has none of them.

Its a mismash imo.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like having parry skills as seperate since it helps to differentiate who is doing what. As opposed to to characters rolling the same skill opposing each other back and forth.

Also, it allows for somewhat more differentiation between combat styles. Aikido vs Muay Thai, for example.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I rather like having parry skills as seperate since it helps to differentiate who is doing what. As opposed to to characters rolling the same skill opposing each other back and forth.

Also, it allows for somewhat more differentiation between combat styles. Aikido vs Muay Thai, for example.

Exactly.. I hve had some npcs who had high as heck parry skills, but middling to no offensive melee/brawl skill, showcasing their 'defensive fighting style'.. And others who were the reverse.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Exactly.. I hve had some npcs who had high as heck parry skills, but middling to no offensive melee/brawl skill, showcasing their 'defensive fighting style'.. And others who were the reverse.

Back in the day (mid 90's) a friend of mine got into a fight with "Tank"Abbot at a bar in Chicago. I didn't know Tank had a glass jaw either Laughing

He was all brawl and NO parry Razz

Revenge is beneath me , but accidents DO happen .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: