The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

cyborg construct - how do you calculate the skill total?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> cyborg construct - how do you calculate the skill total?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: cyborg construct - how do you calculate the skill total? Reply with quote

Is the skill simply replaced - ie if I have 6d technical, it adds no dice,
or is it that I add my technical attribute to the cartridge die code?

It seems that unless I can add the attribute, it will be rather redundant to a large majority of technically proficient characters, as they can rather easily have 6d to the attribute based on template /race.

Which perhaps is the point, as it would be used by those who aren't technical or knowledgeable.

Granted, there is still benefit in the other additions the device can give you.

EDIT:
Made my original post a bit less edgy.

Another question came up.
Is the +1d Technical and Knowledge added to a cartridge replaced skill roll?
It seems to be listed just as a bonus regardless, so we were unsure.

Also the questions came up of where you find how cyber points rules,
and what would happen to someone with this getting hit by a emp/demp gun?
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody? We've talked it through and can see how we will probably use it. But I would appreciate the input on how others have this work.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little bit confused as to what you mean.

I will respond based on my interpretation that you are wondering if corresponding skills increase when the relevant attribute increases due to a cybernetic modification.

In this case, I'd say yes.

For example, if I have Strength 4D and increase it +1D with a Cardio-Muscular Package, then all of my strength skill increase +1D, as well (except for the advanced skills).

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, so I'm sorry if this is off-topic.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No what im asking is as follows

I have the Cyborg Construct (+1d tech and knowledge, cartridges replace skills.) Lets say I have a tech of 3d

I go to use a space transport repair cartridge of 5d

is my roll 5d (cartridge replaces skill and as such doesnt get the +1D, or attribute Die codes),

6d (cartridge replaces skill and I also get the +1D, but no attribute),
8d (cartridge replaces and I get attribute but no +1D),
or even 9d ( get all of the above)?

cuss no bit really says how to add it together!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the whole "Can store up to 8D worth of additional information?" Here's a thing, this was originally a 1st edition rule set. Does it occur any place outside of Cracken's Rebel Field Guide? If not, then the information might just be 8D to a knowledge roll. I don't know enough about the 1st edition rules to comment about it with any real assurance.

It could also be one of those things that REALLY should have been in an errata somewhere a long time ago, but never made it.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
With the whole "Can store up to 8D worth of additional information?" Here's a thing, this was originally a 1st edition rule set. Does it occur any place outside of Cracken's Rebel Field Guide? If not, then the information might just be 8D to a knowledge roll. I don't know enough about the 1st edition rules to comment about it with any real assurance.

I though there was some guidelines for computers somewhere that said how much storage space was required to store something. It's gave the Death Star as one example, and how many D it would take to store it.

So 8D storage space probably doesn't mean an 8D bonus but 8D worth of information.

Quote:

It could also be one of those things that REALLY should have been in an errata somewhere a long time ago, but never made it.

The whole cyborg rules fall into that category. It's only semi functional in 2nd edition. The rules for upgrading stats with the cost based on the total number of skills under each stat (a fixed value in 1st edition) is another example. The while thing is highly problematic in 2E and really needs to be fixed.

Same with those vehicle add ons that give +1-3D to vehicle stats, including speed code. Most of that was superseded in 2E with the new rules for upgrading stuff.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you do indeed add it to skills and attributes for the Cybernetics, but also do know that unless you're one of RARE races that EVERYBODY is cyberized in, there are real costs to you body, mind and soul from these things... also most folks aren't particularly trusting of OBVIOUS cyborgs, let alone ones who add stuff to their bodies voluntarily to "Better" themselves. Hidden cyber, can infact make folks more nervous when found. It's not ghost in the shell or CP2020...... Just my random cred-coin.....
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately none of this has in fact answered my question.

what i need to know is what EXACTLY a cartridge replaces when it says it replaces my skill.

Basically do I add my attribute dice to a skill roll in which a cartridge is used?

If no, then I can't add the Bonus die either as that is applied to my attribute.

But it is exceedingly vague by stating the die code of the cylinder replaces my skill. does it mean replaces the dice I added on top of my attribute? or the whole thing, the skill total?

and weither or not the bonuses 1d from the cyborg are applied to a roll in which a skill cartridge is used.

see above and its rather clear.

and even if you dont know - can we get some gm's opinions.

my gm isn't favorable to it as is and unless we can work this out I basically might as just rip out my head.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the stat block in Cracken's Rebel Field Guide and I'm not getting why it would replace the roll. The crunch section of the page says "Increases computer programming/repair by 2D." So, since it increases the skill, if you had a Tech of 3D, and then the skill of 4D, the construct would make it 6D.

Then it says you get to increase a knowledge skill by 1D. After taking a quick look at the page with the Knowledge Car triage on it, it seems pretty basic. You add a +1D to any particular knowledge or Technical skill. So, pick one skill and add a +1D bonus to it.

If you buy more knowledge cartilages, you can store up to 8D of skill information in your new "headband." By my reading, you have additional storage space, but you could theoretically swap the cartiages like flash drives. Depending on your internal space, you may have your Knowledge Cartiage bonus for the Security skill at +3D, but you're going to need to pull out your +3D of Value to use it.

Take special notice that all of these bonuses are applied to skills, and not attributes. It does not seem to replace any skills, but adds to them.

The Cyber Point rules were done away with in the 2nd Edition. Basically they modified your Force skill rolls, and made it harder for you to use the Force. Instead they were replaced by new rules on gaining additional Dark Side points on pages 5-6 in Galladinum's Fantastic Technology. Which, if you're not Force sensitive, they don't do much to change things.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my PCs currently has AJ^6 installed, so I reviewed it and adjusted to my game. I made lot of changes that work with my HRs, but maybe you'll like some of them. I made it MUCH less powerful, but it's still very handy toy:

* +1D to KNO and TECH rolls, but it's a not-kept die (for more details about roll&keep mechanics, see my notes in this thread).

* +2D (not-kept die) to computer programming/repair, not cumulative with above bonus.

* Droid interface - droid programming roll difficulties reduced by one level if connected by cable.

* 8D in databases. I'm using it as +xD bonus in very specific scholar skills (e.g.: scholar: Hoth system, scholar: Death Star blueprints).

* Knowledge cartridges: max 6D in total, only cartridge value is rolled (attribute is not added), but KNO/TECH bonus applies.

* Data-link - needs to be installed in specific computer to be usable (in d20 it allowed to control any computer from distance, for me it looks too powerful).

* In addition to credit cost, it costs CP (I adapted this rule from D6 Space). It costs 35 CPs. This value is taken from following elements: attribute bonus 10CP*2, programming bonuses 5CP, databases+data-link 5CP, knowledge cartridges 5CP.

Using not-kept dice in bonuses I made it much less powerful, not-kept die allows to overcome MAP same as normal die, so cyborg may perform better mental multitasking.

Knowledge cartridges ignore attributes and skills, I decided to make it so to avoid abuses. With such limitation a cyborg may be good at some skill for free (no CP expenditure), but to be a real master, he has to learn in traditional way. It's somehow similar to chipware in Cyberpunk 2020 (where chip skill levels were 1-3, where learned skill maximum was 10).

This solution works well in my game, it's not overpowered but still very useful. If i didn't use roll&keep mechanics I'd replace bonuses: +1D by +2 and +2D by +1D, to keep game balance (and I'd require player to spend CPs). Of course it's only my opinion, but I spent some time thinking about it and my conclusion was that cyborg construct out-of-the-box is way too powerful.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I'm looking at the stat block in Cracken's Rebel Field Guide and I'm not getting why it would replace the roll. The crunch section of the page says "Increases computer programming/repair by 2D." So, since it increases the skill, if you had a Tech of 3D, and then the skill of 4D, the construct would make it 6D.

It does not seem to replace any skills, but adds to them.

Crackens Rebel Field Guide - Page 34 - the cartridges is where it states it.
very bottom of specifications.

Our question as I've stated though - is what it means (which parts of the skill dice pool) when it says that.

Tupteq wrote:

* Knowledge cartridges: max 6D in total, only cartridge value is rolled (attribute is not added), but KNO/TECH bonus applies.

Our GM likes the idea of attributes and skills being treated the same. so, if the KNO/TECH gets boosted it still gets replaced by the cartridge if the cartridge replaces not only the die you have allocated to the skill but the attribute+skill die total which is what is normally gone by for the system.

Meaning that first I have a +1d tech - which is then replaced by the cartridge total since it replaces the skill.

I'll admit I have calmed to the idea that it isnt that bad - as even if the skill total can't be more than 6d (reasonable considering the skill is not my own but a program), it allows me to put my CP into other areas.

Thank you for input guys, that's the stuff I'm looking for.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you're buying the skill cartridges and popping those in and out, then running it as a flat 6D for the "master" level is actually a pretty good deal. Now, if I had a skill of 7D or 8D, then I wouldn't need to drop 6,000 on a cylinder with that info on it. I've already dropped 40,000 going to college and grad school. Smile

Seriously though, if you have 7D in a skill, then you're probably going to drop cash on areas to make up for your lack of understanding in those areas. You get a quick instant use of the skill without having to go through any of the CP cost or the time to get there.

Really, I'd never given any serious thought to one of these constructs, but it really could make for an interesting character. I'm envisioning someone who is "addicted to the instant knowledge." With these things being expensive, but really useful, I could see a character sacrificing quite a lot to get his hands on more of them... even dipping into party coffers or taking big risks that cause conflicts of interest with the party.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably makese sense to use some sort of increasing cost formula to keep those skill packages in check. It should be much harder to program a chip to 8D than, say to program four chips to 2D.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules As Written

pg 31 Increase Computer prog/repair 2D
Increase "any" Technical or Knowledge skill 1D

It doesn't say "all" Technical and Knowledge skills

Pg 34 "Cartridges replace the users skill" 3D/5D/6D

Attributes are irrelevant, as they only contribute to skill total, and the cartirdge superseedes that total

Skill cartridges are relatively inexpensive (250-2,000 credits)

To reign in potential abuse, I recommend the following:

Computer Prog/Repair skill rasied 2D when device installed.
One additional Technical or Knoweldge skill raised 1D when installed.
Skill cartridges value rolled for skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: