The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Most Obnoxious OP Soecies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Most Obnoxious OP Soecies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Most Obnoxious OP Soecies Reply with quote

Ok, this GM is really annoying the crap out of me. Wants ONLY official species and will not allow a near-human with :

Pheromones: Omossa can produce pheromones to elicit a range of emotions in those around them. This gives them a +1D bonus to influencing others through the use of the Bargain, Command, Con, or Persuasion skills. Conversely they can use their pheromone control to make people react with a -1D modifier to all Persuasion based skills.

Because its apparently a homebrew but will allow converted d20 to d6 even though those are homebrew. His reasoning is:

"That's different than coming up with something wholecloth, especially one that's "Human, but extra." Why play human if you can be human+?"

So now I am very annoyed and curious as to what is the most OP species from both official books and d20/Saga? I was thinking Abysinn, Triannii or Verpine.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star dragons...Duinuogwuin. Galaxy guide 4, pg 36. Space flight at Sph 5, space survival, 1 in 3 is a forcer, stats cap at 5 or 6d and they get 18d to start with lowest 2 caps being mech/tech at 4d...sorry its so low ;P
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the DM's call on what races are allowed. But to convince him of allowing a converted race from another game system, you will need to articulate WHY you want to play this race. From what it seems to me, the only reason you want to do so is the cool phermone powers.. nothing else.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason for the species choice was that it was nothing more than a toned down Zeltron. The pheromones were tweaked a little so that the pheromones could illicit not only a positive result but a negative one.

The character concept I have is what is referred to as a "grifter" and relies almost exclusively on the ability to con/act/etc. I had given a great deal of thought to the character concept.

When I designed the Omossa species I PURPOSEFULLY (keeping in mind I work from a GM mentality always) made sure the race was balanced.

What has angered me about the GM is his out of hand refusal to allow anything that is not an "official" published work or can be directly tied CONCRETELY to Star Wars. Meaning it must have appears somewhere.

Yet allows a homebrew conversion across game systems.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, if I was your GM I would allow your idea with no problems/issues at all.

Bottom line is we play to have fun, your concept is not overpowered in the least, and I don't see anything in it that would inpinge on anyone else's enjoyment of the game, either.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
The reason for the species choice was that it was nothing more than a toned down Zeltron. The pheromones were tweaked a little so that the pheromones could illicit not only a positive result but a negative one.

Then why not simply play a Zeltron? I mean, I understand the fun in creating your own race, let alone a character from that race. However, if the GM isn't going to budge, then just play a Zeltron. If you wanted to play a near-human because they wouldn't have any of the issues with people being automatically suspicious of the Zeltron due to their pheromone abilities, then give your character good stats in Disguise. Make them a stealthy SOB that always slips in under peoples' radars so they're not expecting a pheromone incursion.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my real issue for me was the GM's flip, dismissal without even talking to me. What he really meant was, "homebrew is okay, if I say its okay, and no, yours isn't okay, but this other persons is." Just plain silly, especially as the race is NOT overpowered and makes sense.

I chose not to play a Zeltron for a few reasons.

1. I wanted to play the "face" for the group, which meant looking as much human as possible, hence the reason of choosing a near human.
2. The pheromones can be used to illicit either a +/- 1D. Whereas the Zeltron is +1D.

The idea of the pheromones was to add to the roleplaying. For example, causing a person to get angry for no reason or become agitated. To cause someone to feel anxious while playing cards, stuff like that.

I gave a lot of thought to the mechanics of the pheromone ability before even introducing it as a cool things for a character.

Bottom line, I thought it was a cool idea, wasn't OP, didn't overshadow other characters, was similar yet different from anything else and fit the Star Wars model for species.

Yeah I know, I need to just let it go and chalk it up to the GM being uncomfortable with it. It does make me wonder about the GM though. If he is going to this arbitrary and we have not even started a game yet? What is the game going to be like.

Not to be rude guys, I am 45 years old and I hate to waste time playing a bad game when I could be playing a good game or spending time with my family.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. I'm 34, I feel the same way.

Unfortunately you won't know if he's a good GM or not until the game gets started.

Because the Duros specifically limited only 1D could be used in their 1D for 2D rule, all other 1D for 2D rules can have a max of 4D as their starting dice.

Most overpowered:

Noghri, hands down. 16D starting attribute dice. Humans start with 12D. A PC Noghri would start with 22D in attributes. Additionally they get a 1D brawling damage bonus for claws, a 2D bonus to sneak & hide rolls and a 2D bonus to search rolls. Oh, and theyhave a special martial art they're trained in that make them invincible.

Dathomirian Rancor would be #2. 14D starting attribute dice puts them at 20D for a PC, which exceeds their species limit by +1. I suggest starting as Force sensitive with 1D in sense.

Those two are so bad I won't let them in my games. And I'm the lord of OP player characters. Here are charcters I will allow:

Hutts, 14D starting attributes

Verpine for tech
Sluissi come in second for tech with their 13D starting dice.
Jawa for tech with their HUGE repair starting bonus.

Barabels/Ssi-Ruv for ground combat
Gamorreans for melee combat

Duros for mech

Ewoks for search/sneak/hide. Remember you can start with Blaster

Chiss for command & tactics

Defel, who are invisible

Mon Cals get a HUGE bonus in moist environments

Esoomians can start with 7D strength

Farghul - ridiculous bonuses and you can start with 5D Dex & 5D Per

13D attribute races: Falleen, Hapan, Sluissi, Togrutta
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lest we forget one of the sacred icons of the Rancor Pit forums? What of Fluffy, the Sentient Rancor PC? They've got stats for that, ya know.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:

The character concept I have is what is referred to as a "grifter" and relies almost exclusively on the ability to con/act/etc. I had given a great deal of thought to the character concept.

When I designed the Omossa species I PURPOSEFULLY (keeping in mind I work from a GM mentality always) made sure the race was balanced.

I see nothing balanced about this. The concept is tied to the race GETTING those bonuses, and there is no penalties of any sort listed. So how is there any balance?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted, there are more unbalanced species than this. But would your GM be willing to let you do it if you... say... dropped an attribute die?
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I allow my PCs to create their own species, I would have them use the species generator in the Scouts book (I think that's the one). That book tends to err on the side of underpowered, so I would allow the player to make up more boons for their species.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For +1D bonus? Just cap one of your attributes at 3D, like Knowledge, and give a reason for it.

"Grifters" come from a relatively primitive world; their technology is equivalent to 1700's Earth Technology.

Cannot put starting dice into starship repair.
Can take the tech skills "Forge" and "Smelt"

Or something like that.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANd give them all off color irises and jet black hair, or something to show the mild mutation from Human stock.

Chiss have Blue Skin and Red eyes and they get 1D for 2D command and tactics and a permanent 1D bonus to tactics. They're near humans.

Or just play an Anzat and enjoy being drastically overpowered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: