The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alien Typecasting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Alien Typecasting Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
cheshire wrote:
I think that "physically objectified" doesn't offend too many sensibilities. It's kind of like an amateur acting group I knew... their philosophy was, "If your kids get that joke, it's not our fault." If you know what the terms are angling at, then you'll know. My six year old would have that drift over her head.

Though this is making me want to do something where we have a lithe Twi'lek female as an NPC. If someone makes a reference to her being the entertainment, I can imagine her yelling, "I'm a BANKER! For crying out loud I get enough of this at work! I have a MASTERS degree, you know." and then having the party slapped with sexual harassment charges as well as being threatened with an accusation of speciist hate speech." Yeeeah... that could get fun.

And if said Twi'lek dresses like every single female twi'lek we see in the movies... Well that would be some banker's outfit.

Rgr on that Exclamation

So now, we have to ask, how much of the 'type casting' follows along with how you as the GM dress the NPCs make them act etc etc etc.

It is to be assumed that if you dress the Twi lek like a twi lek, put her in the bar, dancing, that she is the type cast.

Now put her in a crumpled pilots clothing (go ahead an mention she makes said flight suite LOOK good) and have her at the end of the bar arguing with a cocky pilot and his wookie side kick, or dress her in a perfectly tailored (and again hot) power suite setting across the desk making the players sweat about their loan on their freighter and you've broken that type cast.

For me the question is, what races have the mental & physical abilities to be more than their type cast. Twi leks yes they are open to any job (and make it look good), a jawa ... maybe a mechanic but other than that the type cast is close to the mark (can you see one leading a crew or making a deal with Jaba...)

Forgive all spelling errors.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:

It is to be assumed that if you dress the Twi lek like a twi lek, put her in the bar, dancing, that she is the type cast.

Now put her in a crumpled pilots clothing (go ahead an mention she makes said flight suite LOOK good) and have her at the end of the bar arguing with a cocky pilot and his wookie side kick, or dress her in a perfectly tailored (and again hot) power suite setting across the desk making the players sweat about their loan on their freighter and you've broken that type cast.

Kinda like how Zoe Robinson from FFG depicted the Twi'lek in the Edge of the Empire beginner box. This one was not here to be the love interest, nor the salve, nor the dancer:

She's here to drink blue milk and blast scumbags... and someone's all out of blue milk.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like for the most part how women are shown in the FFG. Viable and able to hold their own with the boys. A good direction

Edited the first post with your suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: