The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Saber XC-01 (Old Republic Era)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Star Saber XC-01 (Old Republic Era)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Star Saber XC-01 (Old Republic Era) Reply with quote

Has anyone else used any of the stuff from the "Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide"?

Our Jedi is going to be attempting to restore his old Jedi starfighter that he was found (frozen) in. More or less the stats looks fine, but the damage done by its weapons seems a bit much to me.

Overall it's really fast (Space of 9), sturdy, not very maneuverable, and does a crapload of damage with its Heavy Blaster Cannons (6D), though that is at starfighter scale.

Does anybody else find that a bit high?

Here's the basic stats:

Star Saber XC-01

Craft: Republic Fleet Systems Star Saber XC-01
Affiliation: N/A
Era: Old Republic
Source: Power of the Jedi Sourcebook (pages 60-61)
Type: Starfighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 6.75 meters
Skill: Starfighter Piloting: Star Saber
Crew: 1
Passengers: None
Cargo Capacity: 25 kilograms
Consumables: 1 week
Cost: N/A
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1.5
Nav Computer: Can store coordinates for 2 hyperspace jumps
Maneuverability: 1D+2
Space: 9
Atmosphere: 380; 1,100 kmh
Hull: 4D
Shields: 2D+1
Sensors:
Passive: 20/0D
Scan: 40/1D
Search: 60/2D
Focus: 3/4D
Weapons:
2 Heavy Blaster Cannons (fire-linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 1-5/10/17
Atmosphere Range: 100-500/1/1.7 km
Damage: 6D
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find its stats to be a bit overpowered.

I think a fighter that is three and a half thousand years old should not be able to go toe to toe with an X-Wing.

It already has a high hull and shields score. I would pick one: high durability and low firepower, or low durability and high firepower.

The hyperdrive also seems a little fast for me, considering the Ebon Hawk has something like a x3 or x4.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dromdarr_Alark. I read Wookiepedia article about XC-01, there are notes about inconsistencies in sourcebooks. But anyways, to make it's stats more matching description (and era), I'd propose following changes:

Length: 13m (from Wookieepedia)
Cargo Capacity: 45 kg (from Wookieepedia)
Hyperdrive: x2 (from Wookieepedia)
Maneuverability: 0D+2 ("low maneuverability-to-speed ratio and slow control stick reaction gained them a reputation as dangerous and unwieldy craft")
Hull: 3D (hull value 2D-3D seemed to be average for ships from this era, additionally it's enlonged shape with thin wings doesn't look as tough as X-Wing)
Shields: 2D ("deflector shields gave the Star Saber more [...] defensive capabilities than contemporary fighters")
2 Heavy Blaster Cannons (fire-linked)
Damage: 4D+2 ("Heavy blaster cannons [...] gave the Star Saber more offensive [...] capabilities than contemporary fighters")

This way IMO it matches better the description. XC-01 was described as having many design flaws, in converted stats you used I don't see any flaws. I'm still not sure if these stats aren't still too high, but if I had player wanting to use it, I wouldn't lower them further.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I think it's hard to use the stats from OR ships together with Empire era ships. I don't think that ship should be that fast. I've always assumed the tech progression during the Empire is akin to that in WWII. So I like to see obsolete ships look obsolete.

Also, wouldn't this use a hyperspace ring?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the deal with the conversions, they are representations of what WotC has done in their games. Sometimes WotC overstepped things and made the stats way too powerful for what the tech was in the respective era. Most of that is fine when you're only playing with tech of the same era, but when you start pulling old tech into the New Republic Era, the dissonance is quite apparent.

My whole thing is to take the conversions and adjust them to fit your game. Does it look too high? Yeah. It does. So move the stats down a bit. The speed is a little high, the hyperdrive is really fast for that era, and the damage packs a punch. I'd nudge them down a bit. And it always leaves the opportunity for your Jedi to retrofit the ship to make it more competitive to contemporary era standards.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, everyone! You've confirmed what I was thinking. And thanks a million for the detailed notes, Tupteq! I most definitely am going to ramp things downward, to make it better fit the era.

I also like the idea of giving it some design flaws, which should be fun (especially if there's two of them!) Smile
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up adjusting everything as per Tupteq's post, with the exception that I made the Maneuver 1D (never seen anything as low as 0D+2!)

Barrataria wrote:
Generally I think it's hard to use the stats from OR ships together with Empire era ships. I don't think that ship should be that fast. I've always assumed the tech progression during the Empire is akin to that in WWII. So I like to see obsolete ships look obsolete.

Also, wouldn't this use a hyperspace ring?

Not sure on that. Does anyone else know?

It appears from the listing on Wookieepedia that only ships without any hyperdrive ability would need one, and this one appears to be able to make at least two jumps.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, in the Tales of the Jedi Period, things were very primitive, then as things progressed a few decades it jumped by leaps and bounds..... for upgrading your Player's jedi's ship I have the following table.. for the general mass/sophistication of parts installed...... note this works with The tramp frieghters Book and the Star Ships of the Galaxy conversions Chesh and Gry did......

Quote:
Optional Rule: Age Modifier
Sets the time period for when the starcraft was built OR the
level of standard for any replacement systems installed after
construction.

Time Period Age Modifier
Mass Modifier/Cost Modifier (listed by time period, below):
Old Republic x1.2 to x9/x0.8 to x0.1
Clone War x1.1/x0.9
New Order x1/x1
New Republic x0.9/x1.1
Dark Empire x0.8/x1.2
New Jedi Order x0.7/x1.3
Legacy (Early) x0.6/x1.4
Legacy (Late) x0.5/x1.5

In my opinion the stock components of the Star Saber should be x2.5 to x3 times bulkier then the imperial era equivalent parts.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point about the size (and likely the availability) of parts, when repairs are (inevitably) needed.

BTW, welcome, Panzerjedi!

FWIW, in addition to all the changes mentioned by Tupteq (above), I also decided to ramp down the Speed of the ship to 7.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
That's a good point about the size (and likely the availability) of parts, when repairs are (inevitably) needed.

BTW, welcome, Panzerjedi!

FWIW, in addition to all the changes mentioned by Tupteq (above), I also decided to ramp down the Speed of the ship to 7.

Thanks....

Here's a List of OTHER Ion Drives for D6 SW sides those in tramp freighters

Quote:

Model:
Corelian CX-12 Heavy Duty Ion Drive

Space/Atmosphere:
1/600 km/h

Weight:
8 tons

Cost:
4,000 Credits

Quote:

Model:
SoroSuub "Speedy" Ion Drive

Space/Atmosphere:
2/650 km/h

Weight:
9 tons

Cost:
6,000 Credits

Quote:

Model:
Vangaard Trochuunn-Tra Ion Drive

Space/Atmosphere:
3/750 km/h

Weight:
10 tons

Cost:
8,000 Credits

Quote:

Model:
Sienar Fleet Systems Nova Star Ion Drive

Space/Atmosphere:
5/850 km/h

Weight:
11 tons

Cost:
15,000 Credits

Quote:

Model:
Kuat Drive Yards Quick Fire Ion Drive

Space/Atmosphere:
7/1,000 km/h

Weight:
14 tons

Cost:
35,000 Credits

Quote:

Model:
SoroSuub Scrann-XY 42 Military Ion Drive

Space/Atmosphere:
9/1,150 km/h

Weight:
17 tons

Cost:
70,000 Credits

Quote:

Model:
Corelian Stratus-GL Military Ion Drive

Space/Atmosphere:
11/1,250 km/h

Weight:
20 tons

Cost:
85,000 Credits
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Here's the deal with the conversions, they are representations of what WotC has done in their games. Sometimes WotC overstepped things and made the stats way too powerful for what the tech was in the respective era. Most of that is fine when you're only playing with tech of the same era, but when you start pulling old tech into the New Republic Era, the dissonance is quite apparent.

My whole thing is to take the conversions and adjust them to fit your game. Does it look too high? Yeah. It does. So move the stats down a bit. The speed is a little high, the hyperdrive is really fast for that era, and the damage packs a punch. I'd nudge them down a bit. And it always leaves the opportunity for your Jedi to retrofit the ship to make it more competitive to contemporary era standards.

got it in one, this ship came up in our campaign
It's Trilogy era but our Party operates at the fringes and Outer Rim where a lot of very ancient tech pops up now and again, local villains I often write up using TotOR era Information Age equipment (pulsewaves and nagai sticks, link armour, etc.), which gives a nice atmosphere for the fringe, outlands and backwater areas of the galaxy.
Occasionally the PCs find an old gem like the StarSabre prototype locked away in some museum ruins on an abandoned colony...

I did a pdf revision of Starship Stats R&E for our campaign, one of the rewrites was the Starsabre:
Quote:
Star Sabre (old Republic Jedi starfighter)
Craft: Republic Fleet Systems Star Saber XC-01
Affiliation: Old Republic / Jedi Order
Era: Old Republic
Type: Starfighter and Light Courier vessel
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 16.75 meters
Skill: Starfighter piloting: Star Saber
Crew: 1
Crew Skill: at least 4D in all applicable skills
Passengers: None
Cargo Capacity: 45 kilograms
Consumables: 1 week
Cost: 145,000 credits (new); 75,000 credits (used, later era)
Hyperdrive: class 2
Nav Computer: archaic, increase difficulty by two levels and calculation time x5
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 8 (75 MGLT)
Atmosphere: 430; 1,250 kmh
Hull: 2D+2
Shields: 2D particle, 2D+1 energy
Sensors:
Passive: 10/0D+2
Scan: 20/2D
Weapons:
4 Laser Cannons (fire-linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D+1
Space Range: 1-2/8/18
Atmosphere Range: 100-200/800/1.8km
Damage: 5D+2

That was my take on it anyways. With a Jedi pilot, using Instinctive Astrogation and enhanced senses type powers to make up for inadequate computer systems in the modern era, it can actually stand up pretty well against trilogy era starships, though takes a little more skill actions to function at its best,
eg. particle shields must be used manually to get full physical hull bonus of 4D+2. It's not very manoeuvrable compared to modern starfighters and relies more heavily on pilot skill. The Jedi would want to use sensory enhancement through the Force and manually search for targets at long range. These points increase MAP penalties to function as effectively as a modern starfighter in combat, where GMs are enforcing detailed starfighter combat in their game, as we do in ours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: