The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Random Generators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Random Generators Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the shop inventory - for various types of shops like weapons, armor, combat equipment, medical supplies, slicing, etc.

I would also like to see a random bounty generator, much like the smuggling run generator.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh?

As in:

"Drechavid (Male Rodian con man). Wanted by the Empire for selling fake HoloNet transceivers on Locroine. Last seen on Ciarvin IV. Wanted alive, bounty=35,000 Credits."

Something like that?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been scouring the net using my Google Fu and I am not finding much at all. I cannot help but think Google is scroogling me because I know someone out there has to have made some basic generators.

For example: random mission generation or what I am looking for, alien generator.

Are these things out there? If so, where? Am I being scroogled?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may still have a DOS based generator somewhere. I'll take a look for it and post it after the weekend. If it slips my mind, please give the thread a bump to remind me.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are good suggestions.

I know in my research for my own generator, I came across a bunch of smaller generators and tables scattered across the net that did different things. Lemme see if I can dredge some of them up.

Shooingwomprats, what were you looking for in an adventure generator or alien generator? For example, are you looking for an alien generator that will make an entirely new alien race? Or are you looking for stat generators for the official races? My generator does new races and descriptors, and I've found a good sw d6 character generator that will create characters, stats and all.

As far as adventures, are you just looking for seeds and basic setup? Or something more in-depth, like a beat-by-beat step through of and entire adventure session? I've looked into doing a basic adventure seed generator as an addition to mine, but a beat-by-beat would be very cool... And a TON of work...!

It would help to know exactly what people would want out of a generator. For example, are people generally more intested in a more in-depth generator to be used before gaming sessions (as a solution to writer's block)? Or as something used on the fly during adventures to come up with quick data? That's usually how I use mine, as an answer to "how many aliens are in the bar, and what do they look like?"

Here are some of the ones I've referenced:

http://www.philippursglove.com/StarWars/RandomMissionGenerator.asp Star Wars mission generator

http://triumphdespair.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/h-is-for-heists-v2-0/ Triumph & Despair's excellent Edge of the Empire Alphabet - an AMAZING resource!

http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/adventure/ Donjon's EXCELLENT generators page. This is an adventure generator for DnD, but it's easily translated. He's also got generators for some Star Wars stuff, and I've stolen many of his algorithms and line construction for my own stuff. Just an inexhaustible resource.

Then there's this little generator program, for NPC generation (amazingly, ,WITH D6 stats!). http://www.rpggamer.org/stats.php?page=npcgen/npcgen.html
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojomoe wrote:
Oh?

As in:

"Drechavid (Male Rodian con man). Wanted by the Empire for selling fake HoloNet transceivers on Locroine. Last seen on Ciarvin IV. Wanted alive, bounty=35,000 Credits."

Something like that?

Yes. That is exactly what I want.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links you suggested are good starts. I am looking for a new alien generator program. A creature generator would be nice, but I don't think there are rules for that. I might work on a set of rules and tables to do such a thing based on those in Alien Encounters.

I would love to look at a character generator. I have an NPC 1.2 character generator, but not a character one.

As for a program. What would be nice?

1. Template character generation with ability to make custom templates
2. Character creation from top down (18D/7D)
3. Species choices
4. Random species generator
5. Creature choices
6. Random creature generation.
7. Random dice roller?
8. Combat tracker for each character, npc, keeping track of number of actions, reaction skill, range, difficulty number, wound status.

Those are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
The links you suggested are good starts. I am looking for a new alien generator program. A creature generator would be nice, but I don't think there are rules for that. I might work on a set of rules and tables to do such a thing based on those in Alien Encounters.

Can't you use the species generator in Scouts and just make it non-sentient for creatures?
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm becoming more and more interested in a full-on character generator, but I know what a tangle that can be considering all the rules that go into making them.

That's the hangup for me - I'd need to know all the guidelines for characters and how they apply across multiple species. Otherwise I'd just be generating random numbers and sticking "D" on the end of 'em.

It would also require some internal logic to keep the character's, let's call it "archetype," sensible. If the generator just picked random skills, they might have keen abilities in Astrogation, Streetwise: Endor and Shistavanean Basket Weaving, know what I mean? There would need to be clearly-defined archetypes or styles of character - a pilot would have these grouping of skills, a gunfighter these, and so on.

Anyone have any ideas where/how to begin? It seems like a tall order, but could be immensely useful. BTW, I'm still talking about on-the-fly NPC generation here. I've yet to see a situation where an automated PC generator returned results that would be at all useful.

Oh, also some thought would have to be given to the "level" of the character, i.e. how long they'd been improving their skills. Are they worthless? Extremely proficient? Or is that something to leave up to random generation? Possibly splitting generating Low/Mid/High level characters?

I'm open to all kinds of thoughts here.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, while I'm thinking about this, does anyone have any suggestions for where I might host this Random Generator?

I'd love it to be as accessible as possible! It'd be a great multipurpose tool for GMs of all types.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it would be a tremendously useful tool, though it does sound like an awful lot of work.

Like you suggest, having at least the option of choosing novice, veteran, etc. should be a must.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: