The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cold starting ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Cold starting ships Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going for an emergency takeoff, you wouldn't need to bring sensors up. Turning on the radar of a Mig-25 while it was still on the ground was a court martial-able offense. Most general aviation aircraft have no sensors at all. It's less safe, but you can takeoff using only your eyes.

Complete Starship Construction System
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So at 2 rounds per item to bring up (figuring they are always successful), that gives 20 rounds (assuming only one system being worked on at a time) to bring a ship up fully (inc weapons) from cold to where they can fight.. At 5 seconds a round, that equates to 1 minute 40 seconds... seems too fast.

The engines would be one round/engine, but I agree. I think the engines need time to "warm up" before use. Perhaps cutting the warm up time short would cause lack of performance and/or damage.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a ship still had momentum I'd consider allowing someone who makes a decent piloting roll to 'roll start' the ship and essentially go from zero to third gear with a decent piloting roll.

Actually that might be worth considering in another thread.

Assume some sort of ion mine disable your ship but before it did you detected it and turned and ran (or you were already going fast). Do you just get away because you're drifting away at whatever speed you were at previously until something external slows you down?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would still drift yes. But you would be sucking hind tit if you were close to any asteroids/other ships (no maneuvering thrusters or particle/energy shields to help out).
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In A New Hope IIRC at the cantina meeting Han telss Chewie to "Go get the ship ready" almost a half hour before take off, but in ESB in the scene in the cave slugs innards, they had shut down all systems to avoid detection and had the ship up and running to escape the big teeth in a matter of around 30 seconds. But you could not tell which systems were not up and running on the cold start.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took two flights this week (went to DC on a family vacation), and most of the time between flights is for passenger comfort (loading/unloading bags, getting on/off the plane). Turnaround, which includes a shutdown and a coldstart, runs roughly an hour. The flight crew is only really doing anything during the time passengers are getting on the plane, but most of that is with the cockpit door open so it can't be that important. I can only assume that the actual preflight/engine start is done mostly after the plane is pushed back from the jetway. It took about ten minutes or so, but this is an airliner and safety is their primary concern.

I would put my two cents on ten minutes for an unrushed startup from cold for the average starship. I would say five minutes if one cut corners and three if one hurried. Anything under that risks engine damage and/or system failure.

Other than that.... you got me.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth_Hilarious wrote:
In A New Hope IIRC at the cantina meeting Han telss Chewie to "Go get the ship ready" almost a half hour before take off, but in ESB in the scene in the cave slugs innards, they had shut down all systems to avoid detection and had the ship up and running to escape the big teeth in a matter of around 30 seconds. But you could not tell which systems were not up and running on the cold start.
This is more along the lines of where I'm thinking. A small, single engine ship can be made to go very quickly, with most of the preparation being fueling/restocking and safety checks.

You can skip those, but your port micro maneuvering thrusters may not be igniting, and you wouldn't know it until you needed them. And you might not have the fuel you need, too.

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: