The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Computer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Computer Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't comment much on this thread when it started AGES ago, but in the intervening years I've been using my laptop more and more often. I almost snagged one of those HP touchpads when they were down to $100. I mostly appreciate having the ability to arrange music to set the tone. I have a flash drive for appropriate mood music and I set up a play list for each adventure. Then I have notes, some charts, and some stats that I pull up for consultation during the adventure.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a laptop on my RPG sessions for many years, but recently (about 3 months ago) I resigned from it completely, because I realized it's distracting me far too much. Especially with internet connection there was so many possibilities, that I often searched for answers instead of thinking.
Now, I'm only using computer during preparation of adventure and don't even take computer with me when I'm GMing. Instead, before session, I print all I need, including images I want to show to players (few on the page and then use scissors).
After few months of testing I'm quite satisfied of this old/new way Smile
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Tupteq, a laptop or computer is fantastic as a tool, but like the force you shouldn't rely on it too much. Smile

All seriousness, I've found that sometimes I spend too much time searching for mood music in my collection or looking up too many things online.

Tupteq makes a good point that it's really good for doing your homework and preparing before hand.

Part of what I enjoyed about the D6 system is the fluidity of it, if you stop to look stuff up on wookieepedia, d6holocron, or one of the many many useful fan books that have popped up, you're interrupting the game too much, which really isn't that different than checking table x, which leads you to sub-table y, which leads you to appendix 3, which then leads you to a different sourcebook, which starts you back at table x^1. (Get the D&D reference?)

The touchpad idea could work well for cutting down on resource consumption. Saving images and then quickly passing the pad around to show everyone instead of printing, which costs in ink and in paper. And if you think about how much you spend in ink, $100 bucks is 2-3 ink reloads, especially if you're doing full color images.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've used a laptop at the table just a few times, but I prefer to use a computer for prep work. I might print out a few color pictures ahead of time, but for the most part I haven't found I need one at the table. Many of the players can look up anything on their phones anyway, or use them for quick sound effects, or look up info.

For music I stick with old fashioned CDs. I usually load three in the player and put it on random, so we always have some John Williams background ambiance. Usually sessions are long enough (cycling through all tracks a few times) that a great score - that's really appropriate for a particular scene - will match up exceptionally well with what's going on.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... I can't do random. I've got the music pretty carefully planned out, some for ambiance and then some for specific scene setups. You can't plan out every encounter without railroading, but there are some things you're 99% sure are going to happen. For example, they come out of hyperspace and get hailed by an Imperial customs cruiser. The impending boarding makes for a great opportunity to put on the Trash Compactor from ANH as they're running around trying to conceal their contraband before they get boarded. It slowly mounts the tension setting the mood for the eventual conversation with the officials.

Also, when you think there are going to be combat sequences, it's fun to have a few iconic pieces lined up, for example Ben's Death and the TIE Fighter attack or the fight music from the Pit of Carcoon.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a computer os some sort all the time. It's mostly from prep work, but I've also used it to draw up attack plans for the group, used clips for cut scenes, set up opening scrawls, pictures to show NPCs, and referenced the compiled stat PDFs.

Did I mention referencing the compiled stat PDFs?

I think a PC, smartphone, tablet or whatever can be a useful tool that can enhance a gaming session, but it can also be a distraction that detracts from the game. It depends on how you use it.
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of using the computer to play music you might want to try Syrinscape its a free program to organize your sound effects. You can loop effects, play multiple effects and music at the same time and has a library of great effects to use. It has really brought our game to the next level.

http://www.syrinscape.com/
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds really cool, Luwingo! I'll have to check that out. 8)

Random works, but there's time I wish I had a smart phone or at least an MP3 player, to queue up appropriate music the way cheshire is referencing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: