The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help making a funny scene with an Elom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Help making a funny scene with an Elom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Help making a funny scene with an Elom Reply with quote

At the end of our last adventure, one PC went and purchased a slave (in order to free it), who I decided would join the group as a recurring NPC (someone mostly to hang out on their ship and help out with stuff). We decided to make him an Elom, so the player and I worked out the stats on him:

Name: Vig Tiorus
Species: Elom

DEXTERITY 2D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D

Survival 4D
MECHANICAL 3D
Ground Vehicle Operation 3D+1
Hover Vehicle Operation 4D
PERCEPTION 3D+1
Bargain 3D+2
Cave Navigation 3D+2
Hide 3D+2
Persuasion 4D+1
STRENGTH 3D+1
Climbing 4D+1
Digging 4D+1
TECHNICAL 2D+2
Computer Programming/Repair 3D+2
Ground Vehicle Repair 3D+2
Repulsorlift Repair 3D+2

Special Skills
Cave Navigation: Perception skill; one round to use when within a cave network.
Digging: Strength skill; one round to use claws to dig through soil; as a guideline, a hole requires time (in minutes) equal to the difficulty number.

Special Abilities
Digging Claws: Powerful claws able to dig through soil and soft rock, but rarely used for combat; +1D to climbing and digging rolls; +1D to damage, but Brawling difficulty increased one level.
Low-Light Vision: +2D to search in dark conditions, but suffers 2D-4D stun damage if exposed to bright light.
Moisture Storage: When in a situation when water supplies are critical, rolls stamina to determine how long (in days) can be gone without water (-1 for every hour of exhaustive physical activity).

Move: 8 (walking), 7 (climbing)
Size: 1.5 meters tall

I'd like to introduce this character when we play tonight by doing a humorous or comedic scene, but am not sure exactly what to do. Vig has got some expertise with vehicles, but otherwise doesn't have much that distinguishes him.

Reading up about Eloms, I've considered having him stink (seems appropriate, but perhaps a bit juvenile), or I could have him working on a dark part of the ship and a sudden light could blind him temporarily, but I've generally found that it's easier to find humor organically, rather than trying to set something up.

Any ideas? He's a brand new character, and my plan is for his personality to be very trusting and loyal.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to set up a funny scene.

The characters that I have planned to be funny have usually just been ridiculous.

Otherwise, my players are pretty skilled at making situations hilarious.

My advice would be to go the organic route, and feel for the funny situation as it develops.

Also, a stinking Elom isn't necessarily juvenile. It's all about presentation! Remember Zaalbar from KOTOR? He stunk.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinky is always funny. So is flatulance. These things never get old.

I agree, keep it organic, if you force it the humor won't sell.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, fellas. I ended up just describing things to give them info about Eloms. So he was a bit stinky and left an oily residue on chairs occasionally. A few of them came running when he was accidentally blinded by a sudden light, but none of it ended up being that humorous.

Often the humor in my group does end up being fairly organic (but also unplanned). Often crazy situations that result from the Wild Die end up being what causes things to go bad (and wacky) for us. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: