The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Any good guides for Uglies?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Any good guides for Uglies?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Any good guides for Uglies? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever done a guide for Uglies? I'm looking for a set of guidelines for creating uglies. How to derive speed, sensors, maneuverability, firepower, etc depending on which ships are used to create the ugly?

If anyone can point me in the direction of an existing project, I'd really appreciate it! If not, I'll likely be throwing together a quick set of guidelines myself when I have a little time.

If I end up throwing something together, does anyone have any ideas and/or advice I should take into consideration?

If no one digs up an existing project in the next few days, I'll throw together a few notes on my end and start a serious discussion about what should be included.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Any good guides for Uglies? Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Has anyone ever done a guide for Uglies? I'm looking for a set of guidelines for creating uglies. How to derive speed, sensors, maneuverability, firepower, etc depending on which ships are used to create the ugly?

If anyone can point me in the direction of an existing project, I'd really appreciate it! If not, I'll likely be throwing together a quick set of guidelines myself when I have a little time.

If I end up throwing something together, does anyone have any ideas and/or advice I should take into consideration?

If no one digs up an existing project in the next few days, I'll throw together a few notes on my end and start a serious discussion about what should be included.

I'm intrigued. I know the X-Wing novels offer some basic descriptions of Uglies. With the addition of starfighters from the Clone Wars era, it definitely opens up possibilities for more possible hybrid combinations. Pirates and Privateers includes two different stats for Ugly fighters, so that might be a starting place.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there are a couple of stats for uglies, but I'm mostly looking for a set of rules for creating them.

My first thoughts are that is should be a set of basic modifiers for different parts of the ship. For example, a set of wings would give the ugly a % of the maneuverability of the original ship, engines would give the ugly a % of the original ship's speed. Sensors, hull, shields, weapons, etc, would be the same kind of set up.

The next thing would be to determine how hard it is to combine different components, how long it would take to patch the ships together, and the likelyhood of something going wrong when the ship is in use. I was thinking that better components would require more difficult repair checks to build the ship in the first place.

The final thing I can think of is that we would want some kind of mishap chance since uglies are so undependable. For this I was thinking that the GM would roll 1D. On a 2-6, the ship functions without any major problems. On a 1, you would roll for a number from a mishap chart.

Thoughts?

PS: In addition to the Pirates & Privateers uglies, there are also a couple in Cracken's Threat Dossier. The existing stats are great, but I'm looking for a set of guidelines for quickly building ships using a combination of existing starfighters.

Last edited by Guardian_A on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a net-guide to Uglies I found a while ago that someone made, can't think where I got it from but will try to find the link.

Failing that I can send it out?

EDIT: Could not find a link, looks like it might have originally been on the swrpgnetwork site, but has since been lost... The doc itself is uncredited.
I can email to whoever needs it, or if someone can host it I can just forward it to them?

T.C.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You found something?!? Is it just a list of pre-constructed ships? Or is it more involved? You are welcome to email it to me, I'll post it on my 4shared so the community can access it at well.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Yeah, there are a couple of stats for uglies, but I'm mostly looking for a set of rules for creating them.

That could be challenging. I see two options: a dedicated starship construction system for starfighters including both ugly and production options, and simply eyeballing the stats for what you want the ship to look like and how you want it to perform.

I know the Saga Edition D20 book Starships of the Galaxy includes a "Junker" template that can be applied to a starship, and is also used to cover uglies (it gives D20 stats for a TYE-Wing: a TIE cockpit with Y-Wing engines).

Quote:
The final thing I can think of is that we would want some kind of mishap chance since uglies are so undependable. For this I was thinking that the GM would roll 1D. On a 2-6, the ship functions without any major problems. On a 1, you would roll for a number from a mishap chart.

The Junker template includes something similar, with a mishap chart to decide what system failed. However, it also mentions that, because of the patchwork nature of the ship's systems, repair difficulties are lower.

Quote:
PS: In addition to the Pirates & Privateers uglies, there are also a couple in Cracken's Threat Dossier.

That's right. I had forgotten, but that's mostly because those ship's were so forgettable in the first place.

TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a guide to creating them, as a taster:

The Basics
First, all the things that will be standard on an ugly when coming up with ship stats.
Here's how it's going to look:
Type: Patchwork Starfighter
Scale: Starfighter
Skill: Starfighter piloting: uglies
That's about all that's going to be standard. Everything else is going to vary from design
to design. And now, on to the creation.
Choosing a Design
Choosing what your ugly is going to be made of is a pretty simple process. You pick a
cockpit style, and then a body/wing style, and voila, it's done. TIE Fighter cockpits are
almost always the same, save for the TIE Advanceds, so pairing up a TIE Cockpit with a
TIE body is pretty much moot. For the sake of this article, only the following crafts will
be used for specific demonstration:
Cockpit:
1. X-Wing
2. Y-Wing
3. B-Wing
4. TIE Fighter
5. TIE Bomber
6. TIE Advanced
Body/Wing:
1. X-Wing S-foils
2. Y-Wing Nacells
3. B-Wing Body
4. TIE Fighter Solar Panels
5. TIE Advanced Solar Panels
6. TIE Interceptor Solar Panels
7. TIE Defender Solar Panels

can you pm me your email? Smile
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
There was a net-guide to Uglies I found a while ago that someone made, can't think where I got it from but will try to find the link.

Failing that I can send it out?

EDIT: Could not find a link, looks like it might have originally been on the swrpgnetwork site, but has since been lost... The doc itself is uncredited.
I can email to whoever needs it, or if someone can host it I can just forward it to them?

T.C.

You could do a Yousendit. It will allow you to host the document temporarily, and post a link for us all to download it.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
can you pm me your email? Smile

Thanks!

PM incoming!

PS: Once I have the file, I'll be sure to post it on my 4shared so everyone can enjoy it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
it's a guide to creating them, as a taster:

This could prove to be a very useful jumping off point for a much larger project, especially with baseline stats for the various cockpits and body types.

TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent the PDF to you both..

Guardian, if you can add it to your 4Shared so others can enjoy, that would be great...

As mentioned, I don't recall where I found it, but it proved reasonably useful... Considering the the talent on this board though it could probably be improved upon... Just sayin'.... Smile

T.C.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

You could do a Yousendit. It will allow you to host the document temporarily, and post a link for us all to download it.

Thanks cheshire!

Just saw your post, so here we go:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/WUJhRGw5NEhGOFI3czlVag

T.C.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TyCaine! I got the file and am looking it over now. It looks like there's some pretty good stuff!

For anyone else who is interested in getting their hands on the file, you can either download it from the link below or PM me your email address so I can send it to you!
http://www.4shared.com/office/OJOYVOsC/Star_Wars_-_D6_-_NetGuide_To_U.html

It looks like the basic idea is pretty similar to what I was thinking about doing. It only seems to deal with specific ship types, but it appears that most of the mechanics are in place to build your own uglies.

I'll have to take a much closer look at the guide later this week.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're welcome! Smile

T.C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: