The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mandalorian Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Mandalorian Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Mandalorian Jedi Reply with quote

I’ve been digging through wookiepedia and reading up on the Mandalorians. I started wondering about having them as a race for a Jedi character. Is that possible? If so, what positives/negatives would there be?

I realize throughout their history, they have been harsh/brutal. However, from my military deployments ... war is harsh and brutal ... That said, would the Mandalorian Jedi be a combat master (or well down that path) and starting out with a DSP or 2 (or less harshly a pip or 2 instead of a point)

Forgive all spelling errors.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With their culture, i can easily see them starting with a DSP or two.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've expanded the Mandalorian empire in our game to include various EU source material and our own ideas under the mantle of having different clans. Each clan comes from a different planet in Mandalorian space (surrounding the capital of Mandalore), representing various colonies and individual planet/population histories. Their technology, markings, armour designs and even genetic histories differ between the clans. Much of the (Mandalorian) empire's economy is funded by MandalMotors shipyards at Mandalore itself.

We refer to the ones in the Boba Fett styled armour as the Deathshead clan (from that skull Boba has inscribed on his shoulder plate). Others are Nightstalkers, Elder Mandalorians (Taung), etc. Each are found on different colonies/planets in Mandalore Space. It puts us in a position to tailor create new Mandalorian clans/armour as required in the game.

The Nightstalkers in our game story, were a product of Exar Kun's experiments using Arkanian technology to produce a clan of Mandalorians which are Force sensitive and super warriors. Essentially he tried to combine the best features of Mandalorian warrior culture and Jedi Arts to create an elite group of Sith Warriors for him to use...Jarael was a kind of prototype for this group and they have similar appearance, but are exceedingly rare, found only on one of the lost Mandalorian colonies. There is only a handful at large throughout the galaxy, and only one tiny colony on a lost world in which they exist as a group.

They have a more Taung styled armour, jet black. Underneath they look like Arkanian offshoot near humans although are a Mandalorian culture. All are Force sensitive but few are trained in Force skills. Their original purpose was to supply Exar Kun with a ready resource of Sith Warriors for nefarious purposes.

Our game is in the Rebellion era so they have a role in Palpatine's interests, who is interested in recruiting them for his future creation of the Sovereign Protectors and other elite, Force using dark troops. Thus the PC party has a role to play trying to prevent this, trying to either convince them to maintain independence or even adopt the Jedi philosophies in the principles of the Light Side, and become a force against the Empire.

This was partly to leave a door open for individual future Mandalorian Jedi Knights, with cool looking Mandalorian armour and a bright blue lightsabre. A lot of Players love the idea of playing one, so it's nice to try to get a backstory into the game where it is an option.

Their Mandalorian, Arkanian and Sith heritage however brings many interesting plot ideas to work with to complicate their lives. And many directions the Player could take to develop their character which are interesting.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van

Thanks for the reply

That is right up my alley.

One question, how do you handle them in the rebellion era, do they start out with a DSP like garh sugested?

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the individual character backstory. We have one PC but he was orphaned and grew up as a spacer on cargo ships, he only just recently found out his Mandalorian heritage as a child of one of the Nightstalker clan (obvious due to his appearance), which served to explain both his warrior aptitude and his Force sensitivity. He grew up outside the culture so has no DSP, thus when he joined up with a PC party which includes a Jedi apprentice he also began training with no particular issues.
He is interested in discovering more about his heritage however, which makes for some good future adventure hooks involving Mandalorian culture I have planned.

Mandalorian culture is a fierce warrior tradition however, so a character growing up within it and then adventuring in the galaxy is likely to be things like a Bounty Hunter or Mercinary template, which when Force sensitive can make things like a DSP at character creation more likely. A bit like the Dark Jedi, Dark Side Adept or Sith Warrior templates, which start with a DSP at PC creation.
You shouldn't be averse to assigning a starting DSP, but it should fit the character background.

In our PC party a Force sensitive with a DSP would've been alienated by the Jedi and any masters for training he comes across, and we wanted this character to be suitable as a good friend and companion to the Jedi since everybody else is a regular character and he was on his own.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I posted this under the wrong topic yesterday, but I recall reading somewhere that Mandalorians were genetically Force-blind (not in that they have no signature in the Force, but that they can't become Force sensitive at all). That would mean that any instances of "Mandalorian Jedi" would more likely be non-Mandalorians wearing Mandalorian armor. IIRC, the reference was on the Wookieepedia page on Mandalorians...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I think I posted this under the wrong topic yesterday, but I recall reading somewhere that Mandalorians were genetically Force-blind (not in that they have no signature in the Force, but that they can't become Force sensitive at all). That would mean that any instances of "Mandalorian Jedi" would more likely be non-Mandalorians wearing Mandalorian armor. IIRC, the reference was on the Wookieepedia page on Mandalorians...

Haaa, I just replied in the other post and then noticed it here too ... Very Happy Again thanks.

Like I said in my other post, it makes this a "horse of a different color" question.

lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
We've expanded the Mandalorian empire in our game to include various EU source material and our own ideas under the mantle of having different clans....

We refer to the ones in the Boba Fett styled armour as the Deathshead clan (from that skull Boba has inscribed on his shoulder plate). Others are Nightstalkers, Elder Mandalorians (Taung), etc. ....

They have a more Taung styled armour, jet black. Underneath they look like Arkanian offshoot near humans although are a Mandalorian culture. ...

Ok I dug some more, and realized I'm clueless ... I thought Mandalorian WAS basically an off shoot of humans (Based on thinking Boba Fett being a Mandalorian). I didn't realize that human mandalorians were simply adopting the culture ...

Quote:

You shouldn't be averse to assigning a starting DSP, but it should fit the character background.

In our PC party a Force sensitive with a DSP would've been alienated by the Jedi and any masters for training he comes across, and we wanted this character to be suitable as a good friend and companion to the Jedi since everybody else is a regular character and he was on his own.

I guess I hadn't thought through how detrimental a DSP would be. Even with the Mandalorian society, (from personal experience on my deployments) a hard core warrior is not necessarily evil (hard yes, brutal at times when needed, but not EVIL) With that, even a Mandalorian Merc with combat experience may not inherently have a DSP. I guess I need to relook at how/what DSP represents ...

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you look at the game mechanic simply at face value, without consciously assigning moral value to it, the DSP represents no more than the likelihood of a character acting nefariously as opposed to conscionably, in a numeric percentile system whereby 1d6 is rolled against the number the DSP during critical moments of the plot, if the number rolled is smaller the GM asserts nefarious agendas for the character (if a PC he takes over control of the character as an NPC during the critical moment).

You cannot roll less than 1 on 1d6 so having 1 DSP is still zero likelihood of the player losing control of their character during a critical moment, or for NPCs it is not enough DSP for the GM to assert the character does not react to stimuli with objective or even conscionable processing.

1 DSP simply means you're a bit closer to flipping out than someone who hasn't this dark experience/event in their background.
One could make the argument that circumstantially, those who have seen more of war and slaughter could more easily react to an innocuous situation with disproportionate force, couldn't they? I do say circumstantially, because the opposite extreme is also quite possible, that one has seen more than enough of war and death and becomes pacifist.
But that could represent that one soldier got a couple of DSP during the war, justifying brutality or failing to question illegal orders, where the other soldier didn't.

Just suggesting that an environment where DSP are fairly easy to accumulate, is one where those whom have the character to do so, do.
But somewhere else, like a farming environment, even those which have the character to accumulate DSP, have much fewer opportunity to do so.

So for that reasoning a combat environment would have a higher accumulation of DSP pro rata than a peaceable one. As I mentioned however, I feel the most important factor to consider is individual character background.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, if you use something like ZzaphodD's Will of the Dark Side rule, having 1 DSP does increase the likelihood that the character will act on those negative emotions.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Haaa, I just replied in the other post and then noticed it here too ... :D Again thanks.

Like I said in my other post, it makes this a "horse of a different color" question.

No problem. Indeed, Star Wars is a universe where exceptions to rules make fun characters. A Force sensitive Mandalorian could have a very interesting backstory, maybe even a prophecy that he is destined to fulfill, or a destiny from which he is running.

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
However, if you use something like ZzaphodD's Will of the Dark Side rule, having 1 DSP does increase the likelihood that the character will act on those negative emotions.

Our group takes assuming GM control over PCs very seriously, and find the RAW on this is more than heavy handed enough. We even slacked it off a bit so that the 1d6<DSP=flipout rule is measured by proportion of DSP versus FP (so 5FP and 8DSP means on a 1 or 2 from 1d6 the PC loses control of the character as a nefarious NPC during a critical moment).

We also play up the whole turning to the Dark Side thing so that if the flipout is rolled and the PC loses control to the GM, it is run like a demonic possession.

Making it too mundane or easily stumbled into with a single act would interfere with gameplay too much, for one thing the GM would be running the PC party as NPCs half the time. Dunno if you noticed but players like to push it a bit and after all we don't play to assert moral values on each other, we just want to have fun with this.

Our PCs have, will and do use a DSP accumulation for strategic effect, with the intention to later atone. Like say, the Jedi of the Mandalorian Wars, they all went against the Council to join the war. It's walking a tightrope, but not quite falling from grace yet. That's what 1 DSP under RAW represents. Jedi do have high standards however, and do not like even a single DSP for any reason, it can get you exiled from the Order whether or not you're flipping out and eating children.

...plus as a GM I do have a slight agenda with this...crafty as we must be. Working it like this makes it much more of a temptation for players to get DSP, which livens up the game and brings that element into gameplay. It's not that unusual for regular PCs and NPCs that people deal with on a daily basis to have a DSP or two. The SWU under Republic rule isn't a totalitarian State, only the Jedi hold themselves to a higher standard as a philosophical choice. And it is a high standard, the absolutely no DSP.
But if you throw in a rule of any DSP means you may "act on those emotions" then in gameplay terms you're saying anyone with a single DSP is demonically possessed by any other name...because that's the game effect when the GM takes over a PC, with nefarious agenda.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Our group takes assuming GM control over PCs very seriously, and find the RAW on this is more than heavy handed enough. We even slacked it off a bit so that the 1d6<DSP=flipout rule is measured by proportion of DSP versus FP (so 5FP and 8DSP means on a 1 or 2 from 1d6 the PC loses control of the character as a nefarious NPC during a critical moment).

We also play up the whole turning to the Dark Side thing so that if the flipout is rolled and the PC loses control to the GM, it is run like a demonic possession.

Making it too mundane or easily stumbled into with a single act would interfere with gameplay too much, for one thing the GM would be running the PC party as NPCs half the time. Dunno if you noticed but players like to push it a bit and after all we don't play to assert moral values on each other, we just want to have fun with this.

Our PCs have, will and do use a DSP accumulation for strategic effect, with the intention to later atone. Like say, the Jedi of the Mandalorian Wars, they all went against the Council to join the war. It's walking a tightrope, but not quite falling from grace yet. That's what 1 DSP under RAW represents. Jedi do have high standards however, and do not like even a single DSP for any reason, it can get you exiled from the Order whether or not you're flipping out and eating children.

...plus as a GM I do have a slight agenda with this...crafty as we must be. Working it like this makes it much more of a temptation for players to get DSP, which livens up the game and brings that element into gameplay. It's not that unusual for regular PCs and NPCs that people deal with on a daily basis to have a DSP or two. The SWU under Republic rule isn't a totalitarian State, only the Jedi hold themselves to a higher standard as a philosophical choice. And it is a high standard, the absolutely no DSP.
But if you throw in a rule of any DSP means you may "act on those emotions" then in gameplay terms you're saying anyone with a single DSP is demonically possessed by any other name...because that's the game effect when the GM takes over a PC, with nefarious agenda.

The whole idea with 'Will of the Dark Side' is to make it more tempting for the players, but also represents gradually slipping to the dark side.

I you use the whole ruleset and not only the WotDS mechanic, you also will be able to accumulate more DSPs (most of the time). I 'borrowed' part of the rules from a guy (Starts with an A, avatar an Imperial guard) here on the forum. Basically how many DSPs you can accumulate before you turn is based on your KNO and PER stats. You will never turn before you have DSPs equal to the lowest of your KNO or PER stat (in D:s). After that there is an increased risk of turning for each DSP, and you turn automatically when you reach KNO+PER number of DSPs.

Also, WotDS is not about running the PC as an NPC (well, until you turn). Its about the Dark Side at critical decisions temporarily taking a hold of the character and choosing more violent alternatives. If for example the Jedi is confronted by two innocent civilians while infiltrating a facility he might face the choice of either trying to bluff them or mislead them with the force. Another choice would be to quickly dispose of them with his lightsaber. This situation might call for a WotDS test. If failed the Dark Side makes the choice for the Jedi, with an obvious outcome. Right after that the PC is returned to the Players hands (probably with a mess (both literally and morally) to take care of).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

No problem. Indeed, Star Wars is a universe where exceptions to rules make fun characters. A Force sensitive Mandalorian could have a very interesting backstory, maybe even a prophecy that he is destined to fulfill, or a destiny from which he is running.

Usually when i see pc's with "Prophesies" that's when they want all sorts of cool additional powers and or get given script immunity by the GM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: