The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Continuous beam weapons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Continuous beam weapons Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I wanted to introduce Continuous Focused Beam Lasers, similar to those I had seen in a few movies and cartoons (Akira, Superman the Animated Series). In the visual references used, it seemed the weapons were slightly less effective overall, but the longer they were held on target (not an easy task) the more damage they did. To simulate I created the following rules, which saw use and playtesting in a group of 6).

Continuous Focused Beam Laser (a.k.a "Flash Guns"): These weapons tend to be more effective the longer they are held on target. Though Initial damage is less than a good slugthrower or Phaser, they can be viscious weapon. For every point the attacker beats the to-hit difficulty by, the weapon may add +1 to damage. This may never more than double the maximum base damage of the weapon. To get this maximum effect, the weapon must be held on target for nearly a full round, making other actions more difficult.
"Flash Guns" at low intensity may be used as impromptu welders or cutters.
Typical Flash Pistol:
Range: Short 5 Medium 15 Long 25
ACCURACY: +1D (Being a laser they beam is near instant)
SKILL: Energy Pistols
DAMAGE: 3D (+1 for every point the difficulty to hit is beaton by - up tp 2x maximum base damage).
NOTES: To get the bonus, the wepon must be held on target, so no other complex skill use can be performed, and only reactionary doges or defense allowed.

Out of the group that played with these, 2 players liked the ruling, 2 didn't like it, and 2 were uncarring either way. Personally there were changes I wanted to make, and I know the rule was far from perfect, but it worked rather well in the game it was in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: