The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stats thought: United Galactica Weapons Developement Labs Ba
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Stats thought: United Galactica Weapons Developement Labs Ba Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
director_slayton
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I changed the stats in one area and modified them in another plus added a new rule to cover the earlier mentioned "recoil" in the flavor text-thoughts?

Note: Please note that this contains some custom material from my own custom 'verse and material from the Metal Gear series of video games and is my first attempt at creating a unique weapon of this nature for a player's suggestion.

Capsule: The Ballista-class of Rail Gun was one of the last experimental weapons to come out of the design labs of United Galactica in the years shortly before the events of the United Galactica Civil War and the "Long Dark Night" that occured afterwards but this weapon was left in the weapon design labs on the planet of Northrend for a hundred and twenty years before it was accidentally discovered by a woman known only as "Fortune" who took the only two in existance with her during a mission on the planet by the black operations unit that she was apart of.

The Ballista prototype allows a person to use a man-portable rail gun which while compact packs as much firepower as a tank turret and can punch through pretty much anything (within reason) that it's used against and like all prototypes, it's got a few bugs mostly due to it's recoil due to a design flaw with the inner rail electromagnetic release system which while granting it's ability to fire a projectile the size and weight of an average pencil through even the toughest armor, it produces enough of a recoil that it requires a strong grasp or powered aid to keep the weapon from bucking out of the wielder's grasp.

As previously stated only two prototypes of this weapon exist-both in the hands of the PMC known as "Werewolf" (as Fortune is a member of this group along with the other members of her old black ops unit).

Name: United Galactica Weapons Developement Labs Ballista-class Rail Gun
Type: Electromagnetic Rail Gun
Scale: Speeder
Skill: Blaster Artillery-Railgun
Ammo: 40
Cost: Unknown
Availability: Rare
Body: 2D
Range: 5-50/500/2000
Fire Rate: 1/2, Delayed (see below)
Damage: 5D
-Melee: STR+2D Physical (Blunt)

Game Notes:
RATE OF FIRE (1/2, delayed): This weapon has a specific rate of fire for how it functions. Because of it's charge time before discharging it's energy beam, the operator will have the last initiative in a combat round. If they are attacked, Dodge, or any other appropriate action to distract them, the weapon's charging stops and must start again. This is the "delayed" portion of the fire rate. Further, because of the time needed to cool down the weapon before it can fire again, the operator must wait a full round before making another attack with the weapon. This is the "1/2" portion, as it operates similar to a turbolaser weapon from the Star Wars setting.

CHARGING: The rail gun needs to charge up for 1 round before firing each shot.

RARE: There are only at present two Ballista-class Rail Guns currently in existance despite however there have been rumors that somewhere a factory rushed several production models into existance but as of yet, these rumors are unfounded.

HOLDING: The character must have a Strength of 5D to hold the gun due to the recoil.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a look at the ammo=40. How massive are the projectiles?
director_slayton
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it set that it shoots a projectile which is the same length/width/weight as a standard number two pencil.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to write in what happens to those who don't have the min str and still want to carry it/fire it. Also since it has powerful magnets and coils, anything special happen if its destroyed?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

director_slayton wrote:
I've got it set that it shoots a projectile which is the same length/width/weight as a standard number two pencil.
Something the density of a pencil would shatter on impact with armor rather than penetrating. I would think something more dense would be a better choice - less wind deflection and more penetration. So either more massive or smaller.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
director_slayton wrote:
Something the density of a pencil would shatter on impact with armor rather than penetrating. I would think something more dense would be a better choice - less wind deflection and more penetration. So either more massive or smaller.

Bren's, got a point, here. He can be annoying that way. Razz Wink

But, a easy workaround would be to use projectiles that fire a lighter substance with penetrator core made of a denser, harder,substance. That would not only work, but would also not require you to redesign your weapon. Smile

It would even make some sense, too. The lighter material would be cheaper and probably fragment upon impact, creating nastier wounds, while the penetrator core would penetrate through armor and damage vital organs. Oh,and the ammo might be cheaper that way, too.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
director_slayton wrote:
I think the idea here is that the muzzle velocity is so high, that anything would vaporize on impact, and a good chunk of the armor would, too. That said, a denser round would probably be more accurate.

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't weighed one, but from a google search it looks like the mass of a pencil is 6g - 10g and it's made of wood, graphite, and clay binder - which are relatively low density materials.

Using something like tungsten, iridium, or some Star Wars hull metal would give better penetration. Since the weapon is speeder scale, I assumed it should have some anti-armor capability rather than being predominantly effective against soft tissue. Hence the need for a more dense projectile.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Haven't weighed one, but from a google search it looks like the mass of a pencil is 6g - 10g and it's made of wood, graphite, and clay binder - which are relatively low density materials.

A piece of straw is even lighter, but the winds of a strong tornado can drive one into a telephone pole.

Quote:

Using something like tungsten, iridium, or some Star Wars hull metal would give better penetration. Since the weapon is speeder scale, I assumed it should have some anti-armor capability rather than being predominantly effective against soft tissue. Hence the need for a more dense projectile.

Yup. Although as I mentioned earlier, a light projectile with a penetrating core would work as well, and save on the R&D work.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
A piece of straw is even lighter, but the winds of a strong tornado can drive one into a telephone pole.
From what I can tell it is not confirmed that is due to the straw being driven into the pole.
Quote:
The most generally accepted theory about what happens is that the winds bend trees or boards enough to open up the grains, a straw flies in and the tree straightens up when the tornado moves on. (12-29-96)

Hurricanes just aren't all that fast.
  • Category 5 hurricanes starts at 157 mph.
  • Highest surface wind speed (which appears to include hurricanes) 253 mph.
  • Fastest speed for a tornado is 318 mph.
  • 9mm Parabellum 886 mph

It also seems like a straw compared to a telephone pole is probably a lot closer in density than a pencil compared to tank armor. Anyone know what the density of straw is compared to the density of different woods?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note he said "tornado" not "hurricane". The difference in maximum wind speeds in the center of a EF5 tornado v.s. a hurricane could potentially be over 100mph. I doubt that is enough to make a difference, though, or even any wind speed low enough that it doesn't just whisk away the tree trunk as well.

That said, penetration is not how hypervelocity railguns work. They're not better hole punchers. They're solid matter vaporizers.

The relatively low density of a small comet versus the high density of a forest in Tunguska may be a better indicator than straw in a tree trunk, anyways.

Complete Starship Construction System
director_slayton
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that the material used in the railgun's rounds would have to be made of somekind of dense metal which is light but strong-kind of giving it 1D of damage while the other four d6 is the actual kinetic and magnetic energy put behind the round.

Does that sound like a good thought?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: