The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Hilt ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> Lightsaber Hilt ideas.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Lightsaber Hilt ideas. Reply with quote

I was hoping that some of the various designers here might be able to help me come up with a concept sketch for a villain's lightsaber hilt.

I was thinking he would fight using Makashi form and it would be a mix of classic saber and possibly epee styles, but then I got to thinking about the handle itself. He is the type to have his lightsaber hidden on him at all times, and the classic basket style handle wouldn't work very well. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to mix the standard lightsaber with a handle which would effective & appropriate with his style of fighting.

As always: Thanks in advance!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, Dooku was a Makashi adept, and the curved handled saber hilt was designed specifically for that fighting style.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you are correct about Dooku. The only problem with that type handle is that it's probably less concealable than a regular, straight-handled hilt.

I got this information out of a document on lightsabers:

Form 2: Makashi (Contention)
Form 2 is an elaborate system of combat that expands the skills gained by a Form 1 practitioner. The style is characterized by broad sweeping movements and incredible deftness of hand. It emphasizes precision and finesse, and has the strongest dueling techniques of all the styles. Practitioners of Form 2 often make use of a distinctive curve-handled lightsaber that is highly effective in melee but makes defense against blasters more difficult. During the later years of the Old Republic, the chance of entering combat against an opponent armed with a lightsaber was almost nonexistent. As a result, Form 2 was only rarely practiced during this era, and many Jedi knew nothing of it. Count Dooku’s use of Form 2 revived some interest in the archaic style as the Clone Wars began.

Reduced CP Costs: Melee Skill: 1 CP = +1D. Increased Damage: 2 CP = +1D.
Style Bonus: For every 1D of Lightsaber skill gained in Form 2 training, the character receives either an additional +1 dueling bonus (see below), or a +1D bonus to the Lock Blades maneuver (this applies to rolls made to initiate or disengage, and attempts to gain leverage bonuses, but not to attacks or maneuvers attempted from the blade lock).
Dueling Bonus (bonus): The Form 2 stylist gains an additional +0D+1 to attack and parry when using the lightsaber in melee against other lightsabers. This bonus applies in addition to any others that might be gained from Lightsaber Combat or other sources, and is retained even when Lightsaber Combat is not being used. When wielding a standard (straight-handled) lightsaber, the character can not receive more than +1D this way, even if his/her dueling bonus is greater. The full dueling bonus applies as a penalty for any skill rolls to parry ranged attacks or aim deflected shots.
Dueling Saber (bonus): After a character has completed the first 1D of Lightsaber skill training in Form 2, he/she automatically gains the skill bonuses of wielding a curve-handled dueling lightsaber (see construction details earlier in this file). When wielding the dueling lightsaber in 2 hands, the character receives his/her full dueling bonus to attack and parry in melee against other lightsabers, and a penalty either equal to this bonus or -1D (whichever is greater) to parry ranged attacks or aim deflected shots. Wielding the dueling lightsaber in 1 hand either doubles the dueling bonus or increases it to +1D (whichever is greater), but also gives an equal penalty to parry ranged attacks or aim deflected shots, and normal 1-handed penalties also apply. As with other weapons, a 1-handed or 2-handed grip is chosen at the beginning of a combat round.

All this needs to be considered before choosing the type of hilt you want. According to the above information, the curved hilt saber is where you get your bonuses from with this style. The problem is that it's going to be less concealable, which you mentioned is a must for this character. I suppose you could have a shoulder holster for it, rather than a clip on his utility belt. That would allow the lightsaber to be constantly concealed beneath his robes. Let me know how you want it to work, and I'll see if I can come up with something. It won't be any of the computer generated wizardry that Gry Sarth is famous for, but I can draw, so I could give it a go. Send me a PM if you want me to try it.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this over and over, and I've decided to give him a force crafted lightfoil. It'll do standard lightsaber damage, but will have the thinner blade and a fencing hilt. I just haven't decided if he'll wear it openly, or if he'll have it hidden somewhere. Maybe I'll make it part of a cane.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider a folding, expanding, or hinged hilt. A folded basket could be made to deploy when the blade is ignited.

Complete Starship Construction System
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea! I had also considered the idea of having an energy basket that protects the hand from being sliced up, but maybe not strong enough to do any real damage.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're envisioning an actual energy basket surrounding the hand, it could perhaps be worked like a training lightsaber, which will block stinger bolts, but doesn't really do a whole lot of damage.

Conversely, you could have the basket deal stun damage, or simply a lower amount of damage than the main blade...
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that it would be electro-charged, so it doesn't have the ability to actually cut things, but you can stop a lightsaber with it and pummel someone for maybe STR+1D stun damage.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at information on training lightsabers; they only do 2D damage. They can block incoming attacks (including a lightsaber blade), but can't be used to aim deflected blaster bolts. I should think that would suffice for your basket; it reflects the fact that if someone's hand came into contact with it, they would suffer damage; however it wouldn't be a great amount of damage, and I think it accurately reflects that you could pop someone in the face with the basket and cause a bit of damage, or at least provide enough of a distraction that you could possibly get another attack in while they were recovering.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking it up for me. I think that's what I'll do.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Glad I could help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: