The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Re-revised Expanded Martial Arts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Re-revised Expanded Martial Arts Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once per day sounds too much like a WOTC rule, IMO.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
HACCP
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. But in order to keep some kind of game balance there should be some kind of limit to the power of this technique. Any suggestions?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the key with WEG D6 is usually based on difficulty level, not times per day. Since you are talking about making a killing strike, I would suggest basing it on the RoE optional damage rules, something like:

On a successful attack roll using Wrrushi, a Wookiee may add 1 point to damage by every 5 points by which his attack roll succeeded. For example, if the Wrrushi practitioner succeeds by 12 points, he may add 2 points to his damage roll.

Granted, 2 points isn't a lot, but the steps on the damage chart are not so huge that a couple points one way or the other won't make a difference.

MacRauri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's believed that the style of martial arts or the moves your character is using are so physically demanding that even the best practitioners can't keep at it for long you could have them make stamina checks similar to the existing sprinting rules.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacRauri wrote:
If it's believed that the style of martial arts or the moves your character is using are so physically demanding that even the best practitioners can't keep at it for long you could have them make stamina checks similar to the existing sprinting rules.

I did something similar with my Lightsaber combat system, where each of the Seven Forms had a Stamina modifier, which was added to the base difficulty of a Stamina check made every round. The modifier for a given Form changed depending on specific details of the Form itself, so that Form IV with all its leaps and jumps had a +3 modifier, while Form III, with its conservative defense, only had a +1. At the suggestion of the Forum, I changed the rule so that the Stamina difficulty was tracked but not rolled until the difficulty number went above 20, at which point the character had to make a Stamina roll every round or take a Stunned result (which is an instant vulnerability in a duel).

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to roll stamina at the start of combat. Then I just track the difficulry increase at predetermined intervals. When the difficulty surpasses your roll you start taking farigue penalties (you're still entitled to a willpower roll to delay the penalty, though).

In the case of more intense styles, you could just count in greater intervals, or start at a higher number or some such. For special moves, you could advance the stamina count by a greater amount for that round for that character, or just apply a cumulative penalty to his original roll each time he uses the special move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: