The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

YT-1760 Stock Light Freighter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> YT-1760 Stock Light Freighter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Here's your ship. I'm not saying whether this particular stat block is a good idea to use. I will say that it is an accurate representation of the SAGA stat block that you have presented.

Thanks Cheshire, Smile Its interesting seeing how stats translate, especial a set I made myself. After comparing the different sets I've seen (those, Gry Sarth's, and another I found that was likely just Gry's modified to acknowledge the lack of shields and weapons) I think I'll mostly be sticking the latter two, for a stock model.

The only real changes I made were adding factory options (a popular idea I've noticed) for the gun and shield, using Tramp Freighters as an inspiration (found my copy). I also added '10 tons' of expansion room for upgrades to accommodate said factory options with an extra ton left over.

Quote:

Craft: YT-1760 Small Transport
Type: Small Space Transport
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 20 meters
Skill: Space Transport Piloting: YT-1760
Crew: 1 or 2 (1 can coordinate)
Crew Skill: Varies
Passengers: 8
Cargo Capacity: 10 metric tons
Consumables: 2 months
Cost: 80,000 (new), 20,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Hyperdrive Backup: x15
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 7
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000km/h
Hull: 3D
Shields: none (optional 1D, 4,000crd and 6 tons)

Sensors:
Passive: 25/0D
Scan: 50/1D
Search: 60/2D
Focus: 2/3D

Weapons
Laser Cannon (optional, 2,000crd and 3 tons)
Fire Arc: Turret
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/10/20
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5km
Damage: 4D

Expansions room: 10 tons

I kept the length 20m to accommodate my deck plan, and have considered lowering the hyperdrive to x1.5, but since the latter will have little impact on my game I didn't bother.

Ultimately I am interested and giving my players a battered up old heap with tons of potential for (I might even give them an extra 20 or more tons instead).

I'm up for just about any kind of ideas or suggestions, so throw'em at me if you got'em.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, in what ways did you modify the stats. I could tell you what you did in terms of the translation, and why you did it. There are only a few really relevant factors. I might be able to help you get a ship closer to what you were envisioning.
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Just out of curiosity, in what ways did you modify the stats. I could tell you what you did in terms of the translation, and why you did it. There are only a few really relevant factors. I might be able to help you get a ship closer to what you were envisioning.

In which way I modified my Saga stats, or the D6 stats? I have not converted my Saga stats to D6; I still don't feel solid enough with D6 stats to do the conversion myself. The Saga stats I converted from d20 years ago and admittedly remember very little of the process.

The stats I list in my last post are basically Gry's, and from what I can tell they should meet my need quite well; the ship performs around what I would expect, though faster than originally thought. That last detail is quite welcome, the faster and more maneuverable the better as I expect the characters to have little experience with starfighters and the closer the ship comes the better.

Now that I have a relative starting point, I'll be looking more towards how the PCs can rebuild the ship. Their first 'adventure' will be getting the ship in working order and securing the correct documentation...

I want to break the story into around five parts, each corresponding to a different function of the ship. How well they do in securing the parts and/or installing them will effect the ships performance. Each task could be worth points and the more points they earn would result in better performance of the system.

Tasks might be broken down into (for the power system):
-bargaining with a parts dealer for a working reactor
-Scrounging for a power distributor and phasing unit
-Refitting the cooling manifold
-Research plasma harmonics
-Convincing Uncle to let them use his work bay instead of the sheet metal lean-to they call a shed - by running his deliveries for him

I want their job to fill an array of activities and skills - I don't want it do just be a series of Tech rolls.

Any help people can offer would be great; what kinds of tasks would be interesting or fun? What systems should I divide the tasks by (power systems, drive systems, life support, etc)? Any thing else?

EDIT: For each system I'll create some target numbers, with a moderate chance systems will be less than stock, a large chance of stock performance, and a small chance of higher than stock performance. The more tasks they perform should increase the odds of equaling or exceeding the stock numbers (hence why I wanted to start their and work on from that).

The end result of the adventure will determine the base performance of their ship, prior to any consideration of modifications and upgrades they may perform later.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crimson_red wrote:
cheshire wrote:

In which way I modified my Saga stats, or the D6 stats? I

Sorry for not being clear, I wanted to know how you changed the d20 stats and why. If you tell me what you were trying to do to the d20 ship, I can help you do that to the D6 ship much better.
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Sorry for not being clear, I wanted to know how you changed the d20 stats and why. If you tell me what you were trying to do to the d20 ship, I can help you do that to the D6 ship much better.

Well, if I recall correctly, I was just attempting to honestly recreate the 1760's stock stats in Sega, using what material was available (SAGA starship creation/modification rules, GM Sarli's conversion guide, and my understanding of the system). Admittedly the stats were a little less impressive than I would have liked, but I felt they accurately represented the ship in that medium.

With the 1760 coming in under 20 meters (at the time), it actual fell on the boarder between a Gargantuan (starfighter) and and colossal (space transport). Most examples in Saga that did likewise fell in colossal (hence, my conversion), but a few went the other way, so I created a second set of stats:

Quote:
CEC YT-1760ALT Ultra-Light Transport
Gargantuan starfighter
Init +3; Senses Perception +5

Defense Ref 14 (flat-footed 11), Fort +24; Armor +6
HP 90; DR 10; Threshold 44

Speed fly 16 squares (max. velocity 1,080 km/h), fly 4 squares (starship scale)
Ranged None
Fighting Space 4x4 or 1 square (starship scale); Cover total
Base Atk +0; Grp +29

Abilities Str 38, Dex 16 , Con --, Int 14
Skills Initiative +3, Mechanics +5, Perception +5, Pilot +3, Use Computer +5

Crew 1 or 2 (normal); Passengers 8
Cargo 10 tons; Consumables 2 months; Carried Craft none
Hyperdrive x1, navicomputer
Availability Licensed; Cost 100,000 (25,000 used)

That was more in line with my desires. The early stats were simply a desire to get as close to stock as I could, while the second, faster and more maneuverable was more how I pictured the ship (to account for the differences I made the latter a separate model).

That is one reason I like Gry's stats I think; it feels right, yet doesn't suffer from the size restraints that Saga imposed (of which I only took issue because the 1760 literally fell right on the dividing line, but was typically lumped in the larger size).

I think your conversion of my stats was quite accurate and very well done, but as my stats suffered from the size differential (and all its effects), they are reflected in the conversion.

Hope that explains things better.

EDIT: The original d20 stats were changed relatively little in the conversion. The biggest change was accounting for the slightly different manner in which d20 and Saga approached size (as mentioned above) and adapting to Saga's use of Ability scores in starship stats, which I found as much a art as a science (the conversion guidelines were just that, guidelines) as a directly conversion could result in severely reduced or inflated performance, depending on the system.

Given that the original d20 stats were not stock, I only had the flavour text to go by - this only resulted in the removal of the guns and shield, that I recall.

EDIT #2: Looking at the conversion guidelines, the early stats were very much a direct conversion, following it almost to the letter. Given my experience of the conversion process and the description of the 1760 I'd likely increase Dexterity 14 and space speed to 4 squares. Both exceed the expected values according to the guide, but follow the expectation that it was more maneuverable and faster than the average freighter.

If I was to build a stock model using the gargantuan size I would also keep the Dexterity 14 and speed 4 sq. This is no starfighter despite my Ultra-light stats.

But then again, I don't have as good a feel for SAGA that I once did. The last game was about 4 years ago...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: