The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for autofire and rate of fire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Rules for autofire and rate of fire. Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
If the PCs are in X-wings and the bad guys in normal TIEs this works nice for gaming since it allows the bad guys a better chance to hit the PCs but since the 4D damage is < an X-wings Hull + Shields there is a good chance that the PCs won't get killed. And there is reasonable probability that a PC ship gets carbon scored, ionized, or maybe lightly damaged. This has worked well for us in game.
"They shot R2!"
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
"They shot R2!"
Laughing

Last edited by Bren on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Bren wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
I do the same thing with starfighters and fire control. For example, an X-Wing pilot can set his guns to fire 4-lined (fc 3D dam 6d). in pairs (fc 4D, dam 5D)m or individually ( fc 5D/dam 4d),
Same here.

Sounds to me like he is better off (FC) wise always shooting one of his 4 weapons,

He is (FC wise). But the trade off would be the reduced damage. A 4D hit on a TIE would probably only damage it lightly, while a 6D hit would be more likely to severly damage or even destroy it outright. But if the pilot wanted a better chance of hitting he'd would fire the weapons he might consider firing the weapons multiple times, getting more attacks, and thuis a better chance of getting at least one hit. For example, shooting 3 times would give him 3 chances of hitting for 4D vs. one chance of hitting for 6D. Wheather or not the trade off is worth it would depend on the abilties of the two pilots and the circumstances.

Quote:

when by the current rules using more gives combined action bonuses.... Hence the higher FC when shooting quads... over single.

Nope. THe current rules have linked weapons increasing the damage, not the Fc. two weapons get +1D and 3 weapons +2D. Four weapons aren't even covered. And the general rule with autofire in the RAW is for the weapon do do more damage without any bonus to hit.

What I was trying to do is mimic the setting from the old X-Wing/TIE fighter series of computer games where the pilot could select how the weapons fired. When all four were linked they would all shoot at the same time but take longer to recharge, while when firing one at a time the weapons would cycle and fire almost continuously in sequence, like what we see in the films.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
What I was trying to do is mimic the setting from the old X-Wing/TIE fighter series of computer games where the pilot could select how the weapons fired. When all four were linked they would all shoot at the same time but take longer to recharge, while when firing one at a time the weapons would cycle and fire almost continuously in sequence, like what we see in the films.
I seem to be saying me too a lot here. Smile Though I was probably more influenced by the X-wing novels than the game. Of course the novels are influenced by the game so just add one more degree to Kevin Bacon.

In addition to simulating the novels/games - I liked the idea of allowing pilots the choice of having a better chance to hit for lower damage. For PCs it gives them choices and allows the crack pilot to quad his guns and blow up TIEs in one shot, while the noob pilot has to hit them in multiple rounds and sort of chew them up gradually. For NPCs it allows the GM to damage the PCs by increasing the chance to hit, while lowering the damage so the NPCs are less likely to turn a PC into sparklies. Its a win-win from both the player and the GM perspective.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a player character, I would use a less theoretical system for choosing my fire-linking.

1) I'd fire a shot
2a) If I missed, I'd unlink.
2b) If I hit but didn't blow up my target, I'd link up.
2c) If I blew up my target, I'd shoot another one.

Complete Starship Construction System
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
As a player character, I would use a less theoretical system for choosing my fire-linking.

1) I'd fire a shot
2a) If I missed, I'd unlink.
2b) If I hit but didn't blow up my target, I'd link up.
2c) If I blew up my target, I'd shoot another one.

Good system.

Pretty much what I used to do in X-Wing, too. The TIes used to be so maneuverable that it was hard to keep them in your sights for very long. So I used to keep my guns linked so that when I did hit the ship would go up (TIEs rarely could withstand a hit from all four lasers). A single laser hit ususally didn't take out the TIE. so I'd waste more time playing tag.

Against ;ess maneuverable targets, like captial ships, I7d be more inclined to unlink and just spray, since the four guns wouldcycle a bit faster than they would recharge when linked, and it was pretty hard to miss an ISD.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In X-Wing, I kept my guns linked for 99% of the time. I'd only unlink them if I was making a strafing run and pressed for time, but able to devote my full attention to it. I'd start the run on single fire, trigger held down, until the end of the run, when I'd switch to double, then linked fire for one shot each. The double fire would cycle after the time of a single fire shot, and the quad shot would cycle in the time of a double, so you could squeeze out a few extra bolts without taking any longer.

It certainly was nice having all four of those quad lasers dogfighting TIEs, though. I remember more than a couple instances where I fired one well placed quad shot that shredded two fresh TIE fighters.

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: