The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Translator for only spoken basic?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Translator for only spoken basic?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Translator for only spoken basic? Reply with quote

I'm planning playing a wookie in an upcoming game, and while I love the interaction of playing a character that can't speak basic. I have never played with the rest of the group and have no idea of their opinion on the subject.

As such I'm looking for a nice cheap translation unit. My wookie is skilled in languages, so all he needs is something to output in basic. I'd prefer it do so verbally, like a protocol droid. But a decent sized visual display (holo perhaps?) would be just as good.

I have the stats collection so I know of quite a few options, but what are your opinions on the matter?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 credits can purchase a datapad with 6d linguistics which has a vocoder attached.... that's all you need.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did something in our current game that was kind of a bit of GM handwavium to explain it. We had a translator droid for the first couple of adventures, but it was destroyed very early on. We had our Jawa ramshackle some of the pieces together to turn the remaining parts into a basic translation unit. It would take any language spoken in close proximity to it and translate it into basic. Essentially it let the rest of us understand what the Jawa was saying.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
500 credits can purchase a datapad with 6d linguistics which has a vocoder attached.... that's all you need.
But that shouldn't be as flexible or adept at translation as an actual protocol droid. I think the output would be like a Babel Fish translation meets Stephen Hawking's computer voicebox.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't.. it basically did 5 languages worth, and spoke in an obvious robotic voice, unlike a true protocol droid.. but the fact i could turn off the vocoder and just have it wired into my ear piece, and keep the datapad part in my pocket (to in unobtrusively eavesdrop), was worth it.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea, garhkal...especially about the eavesdropping capabilities, if you can turn up the gain.

I would imagine you could have a slicer up the programming on it; modify the datapad with higher memory capabilities so it can translate more languages.

I don't know how I feel about a device with 6D in Languages only being able to translate five languages. A character with that high a Languages stat is gonna be able to understand darn near anything he hears. How high a Languages score does a protocol droid usually have?

It would cost more to have a translator droid, for sure, but I'd imagine it'd cost much, much less to have a small unit like Lowbacca has in the Young Jedi Knights books. For anyone who hasn't read them, Em Dee is a small translator droid that gets around on replusorlifts. It would be a fairly easy thing, I'd think, to have a droid that size or even smaller so you could always be understood and understand those around you. I know the Wookiee just needs some way to be understood himself, but there are gonna be conversations he isn't gonna be able to follow as well. The droid will cover both needs, with few confusion issues.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Galladinium's Fantastic Technology, there is a hand-held translator unit that provides the character with a print-out of what someone just said, as well as contextual information (such as if the translated remark was intended complimentarily, neutrally, as an insult, etc.). The device then provides the character with a list of potential replies, which it can then play out loud. It's not too much of a step to imagine a more expensive model that provides audio feedback instead of written.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
In Galladinium's Fantastic Technology, there is a hand-held translator unit that provides the character with a print-out of what someone just said, as well as contextual information (such as if the translated remark was intended complimentarily, neutrally, as an insult, etc.). The device then provides the character with a list of potential replies, which it can then play out loud. It's not too much of a step to imagine a more expensive model that provides audio feedback instead of written.

That's the reason I don't think it's unreasonable to have a properly programmed datapad capable of performing that function, without a whole lot extra having to be done to it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
That's a good idea, garhkal...especially about the eavesdropping capabilities, if you can turn up the gain.

I would imagine you could have a slicer up the programming on it; modify the datapad with higher memory capabilities so it can translate more languages.

I don't know how I feel about a device with 6D in Languages only being able to translate five languages. A character with that high a Languages stat is gonna be able to understand darn near anything he hears. How high a Languages score does a protocol droid usually have?

On the 6d knowing 5 lang fluently.. IIRC one of the rules for languages was for each D over know you take it, you can take a language to be fluent in. So with 1d know, 6d lang that gives 5 languages..
3P0s have 10d.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Esoomian character in the pen and paper game we played was unable to speak basic without an impediment (which we made the inability to pronounce sibilent sounds as anything other than a ff). This was a lot of fun but it did cause some problems so eventually the group's verpine hacked a protocal droid's software and built a helmet that would translate his garbled basic into perfect basic.

The downside was that when using the helmet he had to speak like a protocal droid, very precise and almost snobby.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Last edited by Esoomian on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is pretty funny if you are a big hulking behemoth. Laughing
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The juxtaposition was a lot of fun. Plus it did make people think he might not be as tough as he looked which was handy.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
The juxtaposition was a lot of fun. Plus it did make people think he might not be as tough as he looked which was handy.
Mike Tyson doesn't sound tough. But he sure looks tough. And he is mean enough to bite off your ear. I don't think a protocol droid voice is going to fool anyone with eyes to see 1 ton of muscular Esoomian. Laughing

Now if he is out of sight in the next room, then sure that might fool them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: