The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fuel and port fees
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Fuel and port fees Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Fuel and port fees Reply with quote

Sorry, if that question has been asked already, but I was unable to find any official takes on this. I always made up my own rates, but I wonder, if anything has ever been written about this by WEG.

>-q=p---
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Galaxy Guide 6, Tramp Freighters. But I think the fuel part was left out in 2nd ed.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD is correct. The 1st. edition of Tramp Freighters has rules for fuel cell consumption, but WEG pulled them from the 2E book, likely because it was pretty bookkeeping intensive to keep track of fuel consumption by the hour based on whatever the ship was doing at any given time. 2E basically just makes refueling something that happens when the ship goes into port that you have to pay for. From a gaming standpoint, the 2E version works better, even if the 1E version is more realistic. The bookkeeping side of it slows down gameplay, and the arguments over number crunching can bring a game screeching to a halt entirely.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD is correct. The 1st. edition of Tramp Freighters has rules for fuel cell consumption, but WEG pulled them from the 2E book, likely because it was pretty bookkeeping intensive to keep track of fuel consumption by the hour based on whatever the ship was doing at any given time. 2E basically just makes refueling something that happens when the ship goes into port that you have to pay for. From a gaming standpoint, the 2E version works better, even if the 1E version is more realistic. The bookkeeping side of it slows down gameplay, and the arguments over number crunching can bring a game screeching to a halt entirely.

Actually calling the 1st ed fuel bookkeeping intensive really shows that the view of the intellectual capabilities of role playing gamers are rather low. Laughing

The bookkeeping part was actually very light, and the fuel rules gave operating a tramp freighter a sense of difference from the usual 'space opera' gaming.
The only thing that was recorded by the hour was during space combat IIRC. I have never played through a space combat that took more than a couple of minutes at most.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone feel like writing up the fuel consumption rules for those of us who don't have the 1E guide? I'm currently running a couple of smugglers and for a change we are actually tracking revenue, expenses (including the vig on their loan to Ploovo 2-for-1), and income.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a copy of the 1E Tramp Freighters on line. I'll go through it and see what I can find as far as differences and write them up.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, you use up one fuel cell every time you:
-Enter hyperspace
-Spend six hours traveling in hyperspace
-Spend one month in real space
-Spend one hour in combat or in atmospheric flight

Most stock freighters carry 50 fuel cells, but additional fuel cells can be purchased and installed at a cost of 500 credits and .1 tons each

Cells can be refueled at a spaceport with refueling services at variable rates:

Trickle = 1 cell/day @ 5 credits/cell
Standard = 1 cell/hour @ 10 credits/cell
Fast = 4 cells/hour @ 50 credits/cell
Emergency = 20 cells/hour @ 500 credits/cell (In this case, they are actually replacing depleted cells with previously charged cells)

Hope that helps. For some reason I was thinking there was more detail, but that was all I could find.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats all there is to it. In another thread about fuel I posted my rules for fuel consumption for faster hyper drives (as it is now, going fast saves you fuel).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some additional material. The fuel cell rules also change how the Solid Fuel Convertor works. It now requires five metric tons of light material (oxygen, water, plastics, wood/cellulose, waste, etc.) to recharge one cell, or one metric ton of heavy material (uranium, plutonium, etc.), and the convertor functions at a rate of 1/2 ton per hour.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Basically, you use up one fuel cell every time you:
-Enter hyperspace
-Spend six hours traveling in hyperspace
-Spend one month in real space
-Spend one hour in combat or in atmospheric flight

Most stock freighters carry 50 fuel cells, but additional fuel cells can be purchased and installed at a cost of 500 credits and .1 tons each

Cells can be refueled at a spaceport with refueling services at variable rates:

Trickle = 1 cell/day @ 5 credits/cell
Standard = 1 cell/hour @ 10 credits/cell
Fast = 4 cells/hour @ 50 credits/cell
Emergency = 20 cells/hour @ 500 credits/cell (In this case, they are actually replacing depleted cells with previously charged cells)

Hope that helps. For some reason I was thinking there was more detail, but that was all I could find.

Oh, I think I could make that much more complex. It doesn't even factor in mass and occupancy of the ship!

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

I'll see if I can work that into the campaign.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Link?

Ill post it in this thread instead.

Quote:

Id also change the consumption in hyperspace. As it is a x0,5 hyperspace engine consumes less fuel per distance than a x2.
Per 6 hours in hyperspace: 1 Cell is the generic rule from GG6.

Modified by hyperspace engine speed
Hyperspace multiplicator / Consumption modifier
x3 / x0,5
x2 / x1 (As per the GG6)
x1 / x3
x0,5 / x6

For example: a x0,5 hyperpspace engine will consume 6 cells per 6 hours of hyperspace travel compared to the 'standard' 1 cell/6 hours for a x2 engine. On the other hand its 4 times as fast.

To save fuel, a ship may go through hyperspace at a lower speed than its maximum.

Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! That's exactly what I'd been looking for. I used to ignore this in favour of game-play, too, as long as the players were rebels on the run. I deducted some credits every now and then for port fees, food and gambling. Now after 7+ years real-time, RotJ has taken place and one of the players is running a small freighter fleet. This stuff is really helpful, thanks!

>-q=p---
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandra Mindarass wrote:
Awesome! That's exactly what I'd been looking for. I used to ignore this in favour of game-play, too, as long as the players were rebels on the run. I deducted some credits every now and then for port fees, food and gambling. Now after 7+ years real-time, RotJ has taken place and one of the players is running a small freighter fleet. This stuff is really helpful, thanks!

If you don't already have them, I would suggest copies of GG6: Tramp Freighters and Platt's Smuggler's Guide. Both books have a lot of useful information on the details of day-to-day operations for a small freighter, whether its business is legitimate or otherwise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: